Motor Drive: school me!

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Ok, I've been mucking around with Motor Drive (in amp block using FRFR) since 7.02 was released. I am not really hearing much difference.

Please explain to me what I should be hearing/feeling?

I play mostly edge of breakup sounds on the AC20 EF86 Bass, Deluxe Verb, a few others.

I've tried everything from 2-6dB of reduction via the meter and mostly all I notice is a significant increase in CPU load. Also tried varying the time from 50-300ms...

My presets all the the same stereo cab block with a G12H30 mix IR panned hard right and a 64 AC30/sm57 IR panned hard left.

I do have a smidge of Drive and Saturation in the Preamp tab.

I also run the Studio Compressor at the front of my chain with a very fast attack (3-4ms) and fast release (30-40ms).

Not sure if any of these other settings are counteracting the effect?

So many people are raving about the effect of the setting that I am starting to doubt my ears ability. :(

Thanks

Kevin

Ill ask / add does this do anything for high gain amps? I dont really think I want 'speaker' distortion.

Ok, I've been mucking around with Motor Drive (in amp block using FRFR) since 7.02 was released. I am not really hearing much difference.

Please explain to me what I should be hearing/feeling?
It's compression, based on what's coming out of the amp sim. Playing with the time constant, you can vary how quickly the compression kicks in and how quickly the speaker recovers. If you're using it in the Cab block, then it's dependent on the level of the virtual signal coming out of the block. If you're using it in the Amp block, then it depends on what notes you're playing, the speaker impedance cure, and how hard you're driving the power amp.

It makes the amp feel livelier and more responsive. To my ears, it wakes up your tone. At volume, you feel it more.

Check the gain meter for some visual feedback on what it's doing.

It's compression, based on what's coming out of the amp sim. Playing with the time constant, you can vary how quickly the compression kicks in and how quickly the speaker recovers.

Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding is that the time constant is only relative to recovery time...

If you're using it in the Cab block, then it's dependent on the level of the virtual signal coming out of the block. If you're using it in the Amp block, then it depends on what notes you're playing, the speaker impedance cure, and how hard you're driving the power amp.

How does this work for non-Master Volume amps?

Most of my tones are already breaking up from power amp distortion... does that cause the effect to more or less pronounced?

It makes the amp feel livelier and more responsive. To my ears, it wakes up your tone. At volume, you feel it more.

Check the gain meter for some visual feedback on what it's doing.

As I posted, I am doing that and I have dialed it in with settings that net between 2db and 6db of compression.

Thanks for your reply!

To my ears, it sounds like it affects both, though getting hit by power would cause the motor to heat up faster than it would cool off when powers ws dropped, even though the time constant would be the same.

How does this work for non-Master Volume amps?

Most of my tones are already breaking up from power amp distortion... does that cause the effect to more or less pronounced?
It should be noticeable if you're driving the power amp into distortion, as that's pretty much full power.

As I posted, I am doing that and I have dialed it in with settings that net between 2db and 6db of compression.
Oops missed that.

As @Hotplate said, try turning off the other stuff that does similar things. And give it a listen at volume. Try some extreme settings to see what it does.

Last edited:
It should be noticeable if you're driving the power amp into distortion, as that's pretty much full power.

Oops missed that.

As @Hotplate said, try turning off the other stuff that does similar things. En give it a listen at volume. Try some extreme settings to see what it does.
I will definitely try turning off some of the other settings. I did briefly last night, but of course those changes make things sound different without Motor Drive...

I should also mention that I was not playing at bedroom volumes, but also not quite gig level either.

Back
Top Bottom