Mother of All Effect Emulation: TC2290

javajunkie

TC2290
The TC 2290, where to start? This iconic device hardly needs an introduction. Designed and built by TC Electronics in 1985, this effects unit was well ahead of its time. Sporting delay times of up 32 seconds (after upgrade), stereo output, tap tempo, sampling, automated and triggered ducking/expanding, panning and tremolo capabilites, not to mention 5 effects loops and dynamic range >100db; this rack unit took delay to a new level.

As has been stated, the TC2290 is primarily a delay unit. However it can do so much more. It is a capable chorus, flanger, and ADT (automatic double tracker). Moreover, it allows for compressing/expanding, panning, and tremolo. It also allows these dynamic effect to be controlled by an Sine or Random LFO or an envelope triggers. The amount of parameters that this unit can control rivals the Axe-fx’s delay block. It is truly remarkable how programmable this unit was for its day.

With so many definable parameters, it is hard to nail a 2290 signature sound. However, there are some settings that are common w/ the 2290. In particular, when used in stereo on side of the delayed signal is phased inverted. This creates a larger than life stereo field and is extremely spacious. Also, taking the LFO 180 degrees out of phase additionally can add even more space. Add all the panning features and phase reversal options with that and the ducking/gating. It is no wonder this delay is so sought after

The specifications and parameters include:

Frequency Response: 20-20 kHz, +0 / -0.5 dB, 25 kHz, -3dB
Dynamic Range: >100 dB
Sampling Rate : 1MHz
Delay Time: up to 32 seconds with upgrade. Normally 4-8 seconds max
Delay resolution: .1 ms to 1 second then 1ms after that.
Hi/Low Cut control: Low Pass at 8, 4, 2 kHz,Hi Pass at 100, 200 (6db/oct rolloff),
400 Hz Level in % and Phase inversion of feedback.
Adjustable input levels
Output Level Controls: Delay, Direct, Direct+Delay
Individual Control of Pan, Dynamic, Modulation
Panning of direct, delay, or both signals
Dynamics allows for gating, ducking, sampling, and auto-trigger
Tap Tempo
LFO times between .1-10hz
Depth control of panning, modulation, and dynamics (attack/release)
Invertible Feedback
Invertible LFO

There are so many more things that this unit can do. This document just scratches the surface. Included is a few preset matching the Axe-fx to the TC2290. Clips A/Bing the original as well.

"Bad" comparison - reamped (not me)
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Delay Bad - by javajunkie

Typical medium delay, medium mix
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Delay - by javajunkie

TC2290 Preset 82
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Preset 82 - by javajunkie

TC2290 Preset 83 - using the panning
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Preset 83 - by javajunkie

Deserved bump.

Try that Bad preset, make sure I/O output is set to Stereo.

speaking of the 2290. Why does the 2290 effect not produce a delay sound when placed BEFORE an overdrive and amp block, in my Axe 2? If I move it to post amp, it makes repeats. Move it back before the overdrive and amp block, and it is dead again. If I change that delay block to any other type of delay, the repeats start immediately.

Thanks.

speaking of the 2290. Why does the 2290 effect not produce a delay sound when placed BEFORE an overdrive and amp block, in my Axe 2? If I move it to post amp, it makes repeats. Move it back before the overdrive and amp block, and it is dead again. If I change that delay block to any other type of delay, the repeats start immediately.

Thanks.

It is because the left and right channels are phase reversed. In stereo, it creates a larger than life sound. In mono, the 2 sides cancel each other out. The amp and/or drive block is mono, so any signal before it collapses to mono. If you want it to work in mono, turn the phase reverse parameter to none.

You are a genius. Thanks so much for explaining it. It just had me baffled. The only thing that keeps me baffled about the explanation, is that I saw something in the manual or on the forum from Cliff/Fractal explaining that the entire audio pathway is really in stereo, even though on the layout it looks like it is mono. But you're explanation makes perfect sense. I will use the TC in the post amp situation so that I enjoy this reversal phenomenon as TC intended with the 2290. Thanks.

You are a genius. Thanks so much for explaining it. It just had me baffled. The only thing that keeps me baffled about the explanation, is that I saw something in the manual or on the forum from Cliff/Fractal explaining that the entire audio pathway is really in stereo, even though on the layout it looks like it is mono. But you're explanation makes perfect sense. I will use the TC in the post amp situation so that I enjoy this reversal phenomenon as TC intended with the 2290. Thanks.
the pathway is in stereo besides a few blocks which sum things to mono. The drive and amp blocks are a couple. The cab blck when set to mono is another.

TC2290
The TC 2290, where to start? This iconic device hardly needs an introduction. Designed and built by TC Electronics in 1985, this effects unit was well ahead of its time. Sporting delay times of up 32 seconds (after upgrade), stereo output, tap tempo, sampling, automated and triggered ducking/expanding, panning and tremolo capabilites, not to mention 5 effects loops and dynamic range >100db; this rack unit took delay to a new level.

As has been stated, the TC2290 is primarily a delay unit. However it can do so much more. It is a capable chorus, flanger, and ADT (automatic double tracker). Moreover, it allows for compressing/expanding, panning, and tremolo. It also allows these dynamic effect to be controlled by an Sine or Random LFO or an envelope triggers. The amount of parameters that this unit can control rivals the Axe-fx’s delay block. It is truly remarkable how programmable this unit was for its day.

With so many definable parameters, it is hard to nail a 2290 signature sound. However, there are some settings that are common w/ the 2290. In particular, when used in stereo on side of the delayed signal is phased inverted. This creates a larger than life stereo field and is extremely spacious. Also, taking the LFO 180 degrees out of phase additionally can add even more space. Add all the panning features and phase reversal options with that and the ducking/gating. It is no wonder this delay is so sought after

The specifications and parameters include:

Frequency Response: 20-20 kHz, +0 / -0.5 dB, 25 kHz, -3dB
Dynamic Range: >100 dB
Sampling Rate : 1MHz
Delay Time: up to 32 seconds with upgrade. Normally 4-8 seconds max
Delay resolution: .1 ms to 1 second then 1ms after that.
Hi/Low Cut control: Low Pass at 8, 4, 2 kHz,Hi Pass at 100, 200 (6db/oct rolloff),
400 Hz Level in % and Phase inversion of feedback.
Adjustable input levels
Output Level Controls: Delay, Direct, Direct+Delay
Individual Control of Pan, Dynamic, Modulation
Panning of direct, delay, or both signals
Dynamics allows for gating, ducking, sampling, and auto-trigger
Tap Tempo
LFO times between .1-10hz
Depth control of panning, modulation, and dynamics (attack/release)
Invertible Feedback
Invertible LFO

There are so many more things that this unit can do. This document just scratches the surface. Included is a few preset matching the Axe-fx to the TC2290. Clips A/Bing the original as well.

"Bad" comparison - reamped (not me)
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Delay Bad - by javajunkie

Typical medium delay, medium mix
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Delay - by javajunkie

TC2290 Preset 82
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Preset 82 - by javajunkie

TC2290 Preset 83 - using the panning
Axe-Change - Download Preset - 2290 Preset 83 - by javajunkie

Hey Sean. Outstanding Job! :)

If I listen to the the first part of the "normal delay" clip, it sound like there is more highcut on the repeats than on the second part of the clip, which seems to have no highcut at all. Which one is the the TC?

Anyway, I didn't know that the TC2290 could do LFO phase shifts? I've read the manual a number of times, and never seen that feature. I thought it only allowed a simple phase shift on the effect signal itself? Not bitching, just curious :)

Last edited:
1st one is TC2290 and it sounds a bit more broad less muddy (Bad preset)... although Sean made a really good job it sounds great.

If I listen to the the first part of the "normal delay" clip, it sound like there is more highcut on the repeats than on the second part of the clip, which seems to have no highcut at all. Which one is the the TC?

Anyway, I didn't know that the TC2290 could do LFO phase shifts? I've read the manual a number of times, and never seen that feature. I thought it only allowed a simple phase shift on the effect signal itself? Not bitching, just curious :)

Neither has any hi-cut. I think you are hearing slightly different levels in the mix and slightly different stereo field. I believe the TC is the first in that one.

Lfo Reverse:
It is in the special menu. There is a separate manual for that.

Edit - found it:
Special Number 9 - Inv. Dly.modulation

Last edited:
Neither has any hi-cut. I think you are hearing slightly different levels in the mix and slightly different stereo field. I believe the TC is the first in that one.

Lfo Reverse:
It is in the special menu. There is a separate manual for that.

Edit - found it:
Special Number 9 - Inv. Dly.modulation

I wonder why Cliff has set the highcut at 16000hz on the TC2290 type then, personal preference?

Ah, I never looked in the special manual, that's why I missed it ;) But, it doesn't say that it changes the LFO for the right channel only, it say that's it just changes the LFO starting point period. Am I missing something?

Quote: "Inv. Dly.modulation. '1' to invert the flanger sweep start and env. pitch shift direction."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom