Most Underrated Amp Models

THP

I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinion on which amp models in the Axe-Fx they feel, for whatever reason, are the most underrated. I'm always seeing plenty of praise for the plexi, the BE/HBE, the Mesa's, the various 5150 types etc .... and rightly so, but some great amps don't seem to get nearly enough love :(

For me it's the CA3+ RHY, such a great full frequency 6L6 crunch sound. It's been my go to amp for anything gainy for a while now. The other 2 CA3+ models are also fantastic but the CA3+ RHY stands out for me.

Also as a quick side note my most overrated is the ODS. I expected to like this amp but can't get along with it at all. Perhaps because of the price and prestige I expected too much from it .... who knows. Please don't lynch me Dumble fans, just my opinion.

Fire away!!

I kinda have a theory, that the reason we don't match in with certain amps en masse is because most people use similar guitars with similar pickup combinations, be it Les Pauls, Strats, Duncans, Bareknuckles, whatever. These amps have been ingrained in our psyche as a result. Personally, I've never been in thrall to Mesas, and don't even look at me with a Les Paul! :D They just don't do it for me!

So, I reckon that these unlauded amps will be the proviso of those with unique guitars, wood combinations, pickups, etc.

Just food for thought! :)

I've used CAE rythm since my first day with the Ultra. With a boost it's a monster IMHO

Definitely this. The CAE sounds great and it was also my main amp when I used an Ultra.

Also the Fryette Deliverance M sounds phenomenal when recorded. You can put tons of gain through it and it will still remain obscenely clean and clear.

I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinion on which amp models in the Axe-Fx they feel, for whatever reason, are the most underrated. I'm always seeing plenty of praise for the plexi, the BE/HBE, the Mesa's, the various 5150 types etc .... and rightly so, but some great amps don't seem to get nearly enough love :(

For me it's the CA3+ RHY, such a great full frequency 6L6 crunch sound. It's been my go to amp for anything gainy for a while now. The other 2 CA3+ models are also fantastic but the CA3+ RHY stands out for me.

Also as a quick side note my most overrated is the ODS. I expected to like this amp but can't get along with it at all. Perhaps because of the price and prestige I expected too much from it .... who knows. Please don't lynch me Dumble fans, just my opinion.

Fire away!!

I truly have no idea why so much love is given to the 5150 models as these are based on much better amps. Most likely because I dont play certain types of music the 5150 is good for. The ironic thing is that the 5150s were originally supposed to be the VH Brown sound but Id pick 10 different amps for that before Id choose the 5150s

And I can totally get why alot of people wouldnt like the Dumble ODS. Its not really meant to rock out. Its great for smooth singing single lead notes...blues, classic rock, fusion type stuff but thats it IMO. However out of all the Dumble types it is tied for my favorite together with the Carol Ann OD2 which is an amazing amp model.

I don't know how many times I can say this but the EURO BLUE is simply the best, anyone who disagrees is wrong!:D It easily does clean and crunch and can get heavy if you start messing with the advanced parameters. Also, the Atomica's, Jr Blues, Brit Pre, and all of the FAS amps.

The Bandmaster is the best for that vintage fendery thing. put a spring reverb at about 4% mix in front of it...crank it till it starts to flub...and there you have some sweet black keys cool ass tone.

Flipping through the presets today I discovered the Corncob. Very interesting sound that I could see working with.

I also like the D60M A LOT more than I used to with the new dual gain controls. Definitely reminds me of when I had one of those a few years ago...

The variety of responses seems to indicate that there aren't too many amp models in the Axe-Fx, it just keeps appealing to a wider audience. I've made several several new "friends" in the Axe-Fx that I would never be able to afford in real life. I don't know about underrated, since it's all a matter of opinion, but ones that I've found myself appreciating that are not of the Fender/Marshall/VOX ilk are the Fox ODS and Suhr Badger.

I thought I remember you saying you didnt like the SLO much (the real amp, but basically the same thing)

I was going post the same exact thing when I read Cliff's post. I also remember him saying how he didn't like the SLO (real amp).

Did you change your mind Cliff, or is there something different about the Axe-Fx's SLO sim that makes you prefer it to the real thing?

Back
Top Bottom