Most Underrated Amp Models

I totally agree on the SLO, but I supplement with a warm Twin running in parallel with just enough volume so you can barely hear the twin.
It's my old Line6 AX2 Layer patch, except 10 times better sounding.

The Cameron High is one of my favorites. Almost like the SLO in clarity but with a bit of Marshall in it's voice. Very under rated IMHO.

Splawn Quick Rod models.

Easy to dial in (everything on 5 except maybe Drive).
Keep the same settings and switch between the 3 gears to morph between crunch, rock and hi-gain.

The Quick Rod has that agressive low-mid rrrrrroar that I love.
Also, they lend themselves to leads as well (unlike for example the Cameron models which get very thin on the higher notes).

Not a fan of the Splawn Nitro model though with its overpowering bass.

Last edited:
I was looking for some cool Marshall tones and stumbled on the Brit JVM OD1 which sounds fantastic with the gain at about 11 o'clock.

I'm really enjoying the Princeton Reverb amp, I changed the cab to 2x12 can't remember the exact one but man have a pretty good lead sound with that amp. I haven't seen anyone else talk about it. That amp was a small amp but had a great sound when cranked all the way up. You have to up the input and I believe I have the gain up there to. Anyways if you have some time give that amp a try.

Comet. It's ridiculously good. Not really sure it qualifies as underrated though.

Triptik, for sure. But that's gotten plenty of positive press, LOL.

Here are a couple of amps that IMO don't get recommended often enough.

For clean and light overdrive tones: Class-A 20 DLX / Supremo Trem

For overdrive tones: FAS Crunch / Spawn Q-Rod 2nd

For distortion and lead tones: Brit Super / Solo 99

I posted a couple of audio files of the Princeton in the Axe recording section. The first one I did a fast jam to some blues and used a wah. The second one I posted shows how nice the Princeton amp cleans up with the guitars volume pot. Both audio files are using the exact same settings just changed the guitar pot volume. If you get a chance check it out.

Back
Top Bottom