Most Underrated Amp Models

I was going post the same exact thing when I read Cliff's post. I also remember him saying how he didn't like the SLO (real amp).

Did you change your mind Cliff, or is there something different about the Axe-Fx's SLO sim that makes you prefer it to the real thing?

Perhaps not just necessarily the tone but the legacy it brought such as the Rectos, and such type of amps. Just guessing.

I don't see the FAS Brown model mentioned often, but I've relied on it for heavily overdriven (not truly distorted) tones pretty much since I got the Axe.

Yes I second the Brown sim. I have the Axe Standard and came up with a new patch with that and one of the new basket weave tv mix cab from the mad oak pack. It sounded great at a gig I had last weekend.

I don't remember but there was one firmware revision when I absolutely loved the slo 100, that might have been because a lot of variables. But this model is once again one of my favorites maybe because I have reseted everything with the new mimic stuff. I had some things "tweaked" in prior firmwares that I was not resetting in firmware 10, now that I have started from zero everything is starting to make sense

I thought I remember you saying you didnt like the SLO much (the real amp, but basically the same thing)

I concur on the SLO100, super underrated here....AND the Fryette D60

I remember repairing Cliffs SLO. Cant remember what was wrong with it, Ive repaired a number of his amps and it was a while back. Maybe he made the comment before it was sorted.
Dunno.
The secret of the SLO is the arch enemy of most you guys, volume. It has to be run hard with less preamp gain. It transforms into a gorgeous amp like that. It was designed as a large stage/stadium amp. Cue Warren Haynes.
Running one at your local pub is going to give results that are very thin and buzzy.
I would imagine the best tones from the axe model will probably be achieved by increasing the master and backing off the preamp , just like the real deal.

Last edited:
I remember repairing Cliffs SLO. Cant remember what was wrong with it, Ive repaired a number of his amps and it was a while back. Maybe he made the comment before it was sorted.
Dunno.
The secret of the SLO is the arch enemy of most you guys, volume. It has to be run hard with less preamp gain. It transforms into a gorgeous amp like that. It was designed as a large stage/stadium amp. Cue Warren Haynes.
Running one at your local pub is going to give results that are very thin and buzzy.
I would imagine the best tones from the axe model will probably be achieved by increasing the master and backing off the preamp , just like the real deal.

Yup, this is why the MV defaults to a higher setting than other MV amps. (BTW, the filament supply resistors were burnt. You surmised that someone probably tried to run EL34s in it).

A few days ago I browsed through the list and found FOX OD II... I thought what the heck is this... Consulted the WIKI saying FUCHS. FUCHS?!?!?!!?!? Never heard of...

Dialed a a awesome semi-clean, crunch blues/fusion tones... crank it further with a drive in front... OH MAAAN!! What an amp.
Havent played anything else for the weekend now.

Surfed to the FUCHS website and saw that an old time favorite, Jay Graydon plays a Customized TDS-100, so Mr Chase, why dont you raid Mr Graydons studio and model it ;)

Fuchs is fantastic. Try it with the Bad Cat cab.

Purely focusing on underrated (quality of amp sim relative to how often it comes in conversation here) I would pick the ca3+ Rhy off the top of my head.

FAS Fusion... hang on...

Actually I'm a bit surprised by the minimal frothing over the Ruby Rocket. I just love that thing!

Back
Top Bottom