Most over-produced/mixed guitar tones you love?

Matt Bellamy's tone is great IMO. It doesn't sound or feel organic at all yet it has a very pleasing nature to it that I really like. Adam Jones from Tool also comes to mind with great over-produced sound.

On the other hand... the overly-compressed, sterile and guitar-straight-to-desk sound that many "modern" guitarists like the guys from Polyphia and Manuel Gardner Fernandes, etc... use. Boy, do I hate that sound! even if the playing is really impressive and gotta give them props for pushing the envelope, the robotic, lifeless quality of the sound just irritates me.

On the other hand... the overly-compressed, sterile and guitar-straight-to-desk sound that many "modern" guitarists like the guys from Polyphia and Manuel Gardner Fernandes, etc... use. Boy, do I hate that sound! even if the playing is really impressive and gotta give them props for pushing the envelope, the robotic, lifeless quality of the sound just irritates me.
Someone had to say it. Impressive technique? Absolutely. Sterile and robotic/lifeless? Absolutely.

I agree 100% all that robotic sounding 10-finger tapping into a "desk" tone sounds like a water damaged robot and they all sound the same to me 😂

Absolutely- came here to say this. The crazy production is exactly how Corgan and Butch Vig got that saturated, compressed but massive sounding distortion that's all over that record. One of my favorite albums.

Of course doesn’t stop people from hoping to find a pedal that will magically give them that wall of sound lol

Funny note: They have never played that ending live.

I didn't know they toured much of that album...the solo on Jake to the Bone is a masterpiece imo, and She Knows the Devil is a fun one as well. My music teacher in grade school was a huge Lukather fan so he would show us all these amazing guitar songs that mostly flew under the radar. He was also the DJ when we'd have school dances, and he played "2 Hearts" from that album at our dance in 1995, which was when I first danced with the girl I had a crush on then. 21 years later I ended up meeting her again and we still dance to that song :)

Sorry for the sappy love story. :relaxed: back to the guitar nerd talk!

I didn't know they toured much of that album...the solo on Jake to the Bone is a masterpiece imo, and She Knows the Devil is a fun one as well. My music teacher in grade school was a huge Lukather fan so he would show us all these amazing guitar songs that mostly flew under the radar. He was also the DJ when we'd have school dances, and he played "2 Hearts" from that album at our dance in 1995, which was when I first danced with the girl I had a crush on then. 21 years later I ended up meeting her again and we still dance to that song :)

Sorry for the sappy love story. :relaxed: back to the guitar nerd talk!
Never apologise for love!

They've played a lot of that album live. Some of them are regulars even today, like Gypsy Train, Kingdom of Desiree, Jake to the Bone.

Some of EVH's 90's tones reek of what I'd consider over processing, like Cabo Wabo. But I've learned to appreciate it, mainly because it's a cool lick. Neal Schon had some clean processing going on in the Raised on Radio days. But there are some really cool guitar parts in those songs.

Back
Top Bottom