Most "in the room" FRFR solution

Here's the big secret to dead nuts accurate amp in the room tones:

Use real guitar cabs.

It helps to play loud too.

;)
Not to forget that with the FRFR power amp, you will heat your room also, practical in winter if you're not living in Florida

The reason this keeps coming up is because FR FR can't quite do it, its different .
The reason this keeps coming up is because the vast majority of people who try to use a monitor system with a digital rig use the cheapest "FRFR" rebadged bottom-of-the-line powered monitor cabinet that they can find, so it sounds like....the cheapest rebadged powered monitor on the market.

If you buy a $300 amp, it will sound like a $300 amp. If you buy a $1,500 amp, it will sound like a $1,500 amp. Powered monitor cabinets are no different.

A solid, high-quality monitor system WILL get the job done - they do it in every recording studio in the world. The idea that the concept is flawed because it sounds like crap when you play through a cheap piece of crap is....well.....predictably misguided.

I agree that a high end monitor will get the sound but it still doesn't feel the same to play through. The in the room thing is more how it feels. If you look at my previous posts you will see I'm no fan of cheap low end amplification for the axe.

I don't think anything will sound as great as a 4x12 cab. There is just something about those 4 speakers rumbling in the registers! Besides, it is an actual amp tone you are hearing, not a mic'd tone.

However, my solution after having a few FRFRs is the ASC-10 with some fender tilt back legs. I wanted to keep it fairly light weight but still have enough power when needed. I ended up modifying mine and I have 2 of them running in stereo.

Holy hell do they sound amazing! Plenty of bottom end chunk and clarity. I had the ASM-10 version of this when they first came out but it just didn't have the same punch as the ASC version and it was awkward beyond words to carry around. Again, it is a great mic'd tone that I am getting and that is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
PBGas....curious.....what kind of mods have you done to your ASC ?
I have added corners covers, and a custom grill cloth from Friedman.
cheers

Back
Top Bottom