Most important controls for clean sounds

sir-vector

Hi,

I‘m a new owner of an Axe-Fx III and am thoroughly enjoying it. I‘ve so far selected my favorite IRs (York Audio), tone stack (Bludo Ojai) and amp (Twin Reverb).

I‘m somewhat overwhelmed by all the controls available. What are the most important ones I should look at next? I‘m usually a clean platform player (as I‘m mainly playing Jazz or getting any overdrive from pedals) so I guess a lot of controls will not be of importance to me as they are only relevant for amp-overdriven sounds.

Hope to get some inputs and thanks in advance!

This is going to sound unhelpful, but don’t touch the mountain of advanced parameters. If you know exactly what you’re after and exactly how to get it, they’re available, but if you’re just experimenting there’s honestly just a better chance of you ruining the sound you started with. Is there something missing from the sound you have, or is it more of a ‘well those buttons are all there, therefore I must press them’ situation?

Switch to "Original settings" in Axe-Edit and use the Axe like a real amp. You won't be disappointed ...

Probably it's most important to set your input and output levels. As long as you have a solid signal, you won't have to do much other than adjust the trim and gain to taste.

As an alternative to the Twin, try the TX Clean model (Mesa Lonestar). It's basically a modded Twin.

Remember that anything is permitted if it gets you what you want. But most people are fine sticking with the options the real amp model offers rather than adventuring into advanced settings.

Leave the advanced amp controls alone for now. Focus on the controls that appear on an actual Twin.

Meanwhile, I'd learn the PEQ block inside and out.

Back
Top Bottom