Most desired tones that you don't already have?

Both, my band is covering about a dozen STP songs from their early albums. It is amazing how Dean gets reasonably close to the studio tones with his live rig.

I’d love to hear some Iommi (LOVE his tone but can’t seem to recreate an exact Iommi sound)

Same thing with Angus and Malcolm... I get close, but then it’s just not right.

Same thing with Billy Duffy (Firewoman in particular)...

Thanks for the effort!!!

Hey man! I gotchu with the Billy Duffy patch... Watched his rig rundowns and read some interviews. I think I’ve got it down pretty close. I’ll get this uploaded here in a bit!!!

P.S. - Did you check out the Iommi patch I uploaded? I can upload my Angus lead, which I think came out good. Tried to do a Malcolm + Angus patch with parallel rigs but I’m not entirely satisfied. My conclusion, playing primarily a Gibson humbucker guitar, I can get Angus’ tone easier but without Malcolm’s Gretsch it’s hard to ultimately nail the Malcolm + Angus idea I had.

Ty Tabor, early King's X tones.

Nuno Bettencourt, Extreme tones.

Really interested in the Alex Lifeson tones.

Maybe Guthrie tones off his work on Steven Wilson albums.

Would love for you to share presets. I'd be willing to buy them. PM me if that might be an option.

Sorry for the late reply... Not familiar with Ty Tabor’s work. My apologies... if you could help point me in the right direction, any recommendation for a “must listen” album?

I’ve come up with a good representation (to my ears) of Nuno’s rig. Worked with him at the Tom Morello campin’ January... Very cool dude!!! ProCo Rat into his ADA MP1 into Macintosh power amp early on from my understanding. But I know he also likes Marshall’s (800’s mainly, if I’m not mistaken).

Gotchu on the Lifeson tones.

Relistened to Raven that Refused to Sing last night. What a phenomenal album. Lots of different tones, but I can do scenes for each of the songs and hopefully there’s a good representation of the album sounds. It sounds like he used various guitars, so that’s obviously going to be a factor.

Hey man! I gotchu with the Billy Duffy patch... Watched his rig rundowns and read some interviews. I think I’ve got it down pretty close. I’ll get this uploaded here in a bit!!!

P.S. - Did you check out the Iommi patch I uploaded? I can upload my Angus lead, which I think came out good. Tried to do a Malcolm + Angus patch with parallel rigs but I’m not entirely satisfied. My conclusion, playing primarily a Gibson humbucker guitar, I can get Angus’ tone easier but without Malcolm’s Gretsch it’s hard to ultimately nail the Malcolm + Angus idea I had.
Yup. Its awesome! I added a little proximity into the cab block to wake up my speakers a bit to my ears and have been jamming on Hand of Doom and War Pigs for a while and loving it. Playing it through 2 Friedman AS12s. The louder I pushed my Friedman speakers- the better it got...

Oh man, Billy Duffy on FireWoman would be so so awesome🤘and anything from the Young brothers would be really appreciated too. They are really hard to nail and my band covers 3 AC/DC tunes across 3 different albums so there’s that complication too. There’s a complexity to their tone like the subtlety to their “edge of breakup/ crunch / pushed JTM45(?) sorta thing” that may come a lot from their pick attack. It sounds simple to the ear but is ridiculous to copy - and then it all changes in the mix🤦‍♂️ Thanks again for these amazing shares!!

Yup. Its awesome! I added a little proximity into the cab block to wake up my speakers a bit to my ears and have been jamming on Hand of Doom and War Pigs for a while and loving it. Playing it through 2 Friedman AS12s. The louder I pushed my Friedman speakers- the better it got...

Oh man, Billy Duffy on FireWoman would be so so awesome🤘and anything from the Young brothers would be really appreciated too. They are really hard to nail and my band covers 3 AC/DC tunes across 3 different albums so there’s that complication too. There’s a complexity to their tone like the subtlety to their “edge of breakup/ crunch / pushed JTM45(?) sorta thing” that may come a lot from their pick attack. It sounds simple to the ear but is ridiculous to copy - and then it all changes in the mix🤦‍♂️ Thanks again for these amazing shares!!

This is what I've got right now. 6 scenes... 1. JC120 Chorus Clean 2. JC120 + Marshall (Chorus Clean + Dirty) 3. AC30 + Marshall (with Chorus) MAIN RHYTHM 4. Marshall Lead 5. She Sells Sanctuary Intro 6. Fire Woman Intro If you have a footswitch you can switch between scenes for the songs...

Attachments

• Billy Duffy.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Angus Lead.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
This is what I've got right now. 6 scenes... 1. JC120 Chorus Clean 2. JC120 + Marshall (Chorus Clean + Dirty) 3. AC30 + Marshall (with Chorus) MAIN RHYTHM 4. Marshall Lead 5. She Sells Sanctuary Intro 6. Fire Woman Intro If you have a footswitch you can switch between scenes for the songs...
Wow!! HUGE THANKS!! These sound really good. I’ve only got an FM3 (no dual amps) so I can’t get the Marshall side of the Billy Duffy - I can only see the JC120 and the AC30 (one at a time)... I’ll play around with the rhythm and lead presets and probably swap the AC30 out for the Marshall for some more Marshall snarl there... The FM3 won’t show me your Marshall - Can you show me your Marshall Amp screen so I can copy the parameters over by hand and make a new amp block for it in the FM3 for the rhythm/lead part? The AX3 guys are going to love this as Billy Duffy’s tones have been sought after for a while... Oh, and Sanctuary sounds SO good. The chorus is perfect and really pops on all the right notes. Killer job! I’ll have to hit the Angus later tonight when I can play loud🤘 These are awesome! Thanks again for sharing👍

John Sykes is one I'm trying get close to. I know he did some studio magic but I feel like the Axe FX III can handle it. Bob Rock talked about it in the last Tone-Talk video on YouTube. It's two amps (one slaved) and a discreet amount of modulation along with delay.

Sorry for the late reply... Not familiar with Ty Tabor’s work. My apologies... if you could help point me in the right direction, any recommendation for a “must listen” album?

Gretchen goes to Nebraska, faith hope love anything prior to the dog man cd is all Lab series L5.

Both, my band is covering about a dozen STP songs from their early albums. It is amazing how Dean gets reasonably close to the studio tones with his live rig.
Dean on the recording of Core:

"Then for amps, it was pretty much my live rig that I still use to this day—my VHT with my Demeter preamp. We ran that stereo through two 4x12s. And then we had a lot of small stuff—Vox stuff, Fender stuff. Things like that that come in pretty handy for overdubs."

I guess it's more like he was able to capture his live sound in the studio.

I've been cooking up patches for some of my favorite players... While there are so many awesome tones out there, I'm curious if there were any sounds that you were really hoping to find in the Axe FX III?

Over the last month I've researched and tried to replicate with authenticity the tones of the following players... Steve Harris, Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Adrian Smith, Dave Murray, Zakk Wylde, Metallica MOP era, Eric Johnson (along with the hold delay feature), Robin Trower, Michael Schenker, Eddie Van Halen (along with Cathedral dotted 1/8th note delay), Yngwie Malmsteen, Ritchie Blackmore, Malcom and Angus Young, Brian May (with signature 800/1600ms delay trick)

On my list of ones to work on are Tom Morello, Judas Priest SFV era, Chris DeGarmo, Kim Thayil, Wes Borland, Tom DeLonge, John Sykes, Mick Mars, Dave Mustaine, Chris Poland, Billy Gibbons (Eliminator era), Al Di Meola, Alex Lifeson (Power Windows era). There's probably some that I forgot to mention but anyways...

If there were any tones you were eager to play with then perhaps I could share my preset with you! Cheers!!! :)
Good list you've already done, and I'd second DeGarmo, Mars, Gibbons, Lifeson. My only addition (unless you want to add more bass players) would be Nuno. He's a firebreathing monster with a tone that just wrecks me every time I hear it.

Also, for VHI'd do one for the VH1, another for the next few albums, another for the Ernie ball/peavy days and then a modern tone with the EVH amps.

very generous of you, sir...
I'd echo the requests for Lifeson's Power Windows era sound, a Holdsworth patch that included the 'clean' type sound he seemed to favor for the chord stuff, his fat lead tone, and a violin type/swell sound, an EJ patch like you described, also love Ronnie Montrose's tones from Gamma 2, 3-great cleans, fat rhythm/lead tones... 🤘 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 🙏 ps. +1 on the Kings X 'Gretchen', and I think that RonMon also used a Lab amp on Gamma 2(maybe an L11, tho?)

I'd love to get some Type O Negative sounds. And like has been said many times, the Archon, some Randalls (for Dimebag) and maybe stuff like Revv.

I would absolutely LOVE to have the tone(s) for the song '' I need you tonight '' by ZZ Top. That would be a dream come true!

Back
Top Bottom