Morphing AX8

pat6969

Inspired
I did an exhaustive search to try and deal with the switching lag in the AX8. I play in a 3 piece and it's challenging for me to time the clean to dirty. The X/Y is close but still not spot on. I did find this about the AXII and was wondering if anyone has tried it yet on the AX8. I'm not huge into tweaking and wasting time trying stuff, especially if someone else has done it. Again, just need to know if this works on the AX8 as well. Thanks in advance!

You can control multiple parameters to different values using just one Scene Controller.

For example, you can morph an amp to two completely different gain settings.

Say you want to take an amp from clean w/ high Master Volume to distorted with medium Master Volume while retaining the wanted levels between them.

First, set Scene1 Controller to Scene 1 = 0%, Scene 2 = 100%

Next, determine the Input Drive, Master volume, Level setting you want to go to and from. Using the X/Y of the amp blocks is probably the fastest way so you can A/B.
In this case say we want to go from drive 2.5, master 10, level -6db to drive 6, master 5, level -12db.

Then, attach the Scene 1 Controller to the Input Drive. Set its min to 2.5 and its max 6. On the master do the same but set its min 10 and max 5. Lastly, set the level setting min to -6db and Max to -12db.
Now when you switch between Scene 1 and Scene 2, all the parameters will switch at once.

How is this different from X/Y you ask?

Well, it is completely smooth with no drop out at all.

But wait, there is more...

We also have a dampening parameter we can use the the Modifier menu so we can use that to slow down the process and morph from one scene to the next. Pretty cool in you ask me :)

Using the dampening parameter works for other things like delay and reverb where you may not want a sudden shift but occur more gradually.

Have fun!

Yea, I use the scene controllers to bring up and down the amp gain on my AX8. Seems like a smooth change to me... check out Freman's presets, they are setup this way.

Yes, that technique works beautifully on the AX8, especially on amp blocks that have fantastic clean and dirty sounds.

You can use scene controllers as suggested, so that the morph is assigned to a scene footswitch. Or, you can assign an expression pedal, so that heel down is clean, toe down is angry. I've used both methods with the AX8.

Yea, I use the scene controllers to bring up and down the amp gain on my AX8. Seems like a smooth change to me... check out Freman's presets, they are setup this way.

But from that post it looks like you can control multiple parameters. I dialed in a killer Triptik preset but there's no way that reducing the gain cleans it up, I'd have to reduce the gain, reduce the master and increase the out level all at the same time.

Yes, that technique works beautifully on the AX8, especially on amp blocks that have fantastic clean and dirty sounds.

You can use scene controllers as suggested, so that the morph is assigned to a scene footswitch. Or, you can assign an expression pedal, so that heel down is clean, toe down is angry. I've used both methods with the AX8.

Excellent, so I could reduce drive, reduce master and increase level all with one switch or the EX pedal?

If you really need a super-fast switch, what about using a drive pedal (or two) instead of trying to switch amps? Maybe in combination with increasing a cleaner amp's gain.

If you really need a super-fast switch, what about using a drive pedal (or two) instead of trying to switch amps? Maybe in combination with increasing a cleaner amp's gain.

Thought of that but I really prefer to get my dirt from the amp when at all possible. I'll look at doing this as well if the morphing fails.

But from that post it looks like you can control multiple parameters. I dialed in a killer Triptik preset but there's no way that reducing the gain cleans it up, I'd have to reduce the gain, reduce the master and increase the out level all at the same time.

The easiest way is to just have the scene controller control your gain, and assign the scene's output volume to compensate for the volume drop. You could adjust a lot more settings, but now you need to remember which scene is doing what...

The easiest way is to just have the scene controller control your gain, and assign the scene's output volume to compensate for the volume drop. You could adjust a lot more settings, but now you need to remember which scene is doing what...

I've tried simply reducing the gain on the Triptik, it doesn't clean up unless I also use the guitar volume which I don't want to do. I would imagine your method would work OK on low gain patches but with the higher gain amp, the gain won't clean the amp.

How do control more than 2 parameters per scene? I see "scene1" and "scene2" per scene... which would give you 16 if you use all 8 scenes.

The modifiers are per preset, not per scene, so you don't get to choose 2 different parameters in each scene.

I assign multiple parameters to one or both of the Scene Controllers (there are indeed only two) and use the Min/Max controls on the modifier of each parameter to determine what I want the range to be.

The 24 limit is that you can have 24 modifiers per preset total, assuming you have available CPU.

So for example, Scene Controller 1 could be assigned to Input Drive, Master Vol, the block Level, and just for fun let's say it's also controlling the frequency on a peaking Filter block with gain set at 1dB.

For each of those 4 parameters, I'll set the Min and the Max, which is what the sound will be like at 0% and 100% on Scene Controller 1.

Then for all 8 scenes, I can adjust the Scene Controller 1 amount to where I want it for that scene. All the way down would be super clean, all the way up is super hairy.

Last edited:
That sounds awesome. Definitely gotta try it. ... First I gotta find an amp where I like the clean and the high gain plus maybe figure out a drive that I actually like.

Ax8: the end of practise.

I've tried simply reducing the gain on the Triptik, it doesn't clean up unless I also use the guitar volume which I don't want to do. I would imagine your method would work OK on low gain patches but with the higher gain amp, the gain won't clean the amp.
Use the 'Input Trim' parameter in the Amp block in conjunction with the 'Gain' parameter to achieve even lower gain.

You can also use a 'Filter' or 'Volume' block before the Amp block. Attach the scene controller to the 'Level' or 'Volume' parameter in conjunction with the Amp block 'Gain' parameter to achieve lower gain. And/or to increase gain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom