Morningstar MC8 layout help with FM3

Figured it out. MC was set to MIDI Thru, so every time I hit a button it repeated itself.
Sounds like you're also running the FM3 and MC8 on the same MIDI channel, which in general is a bad idea (because this very thing happens). Generally, it's good practice for each device to have its own dedicated MIDI channel.

If you do a good explain of how you set this up, I know a lot of folks would appreciate. Not really anything on Youtube that shows this. You would be the first.
I agree @Tremonti. It's the 'how to' on the apparent pseudo 2-way communication between the FM3 and the MC6 that isn't really clear to me either.

James from Morningstar has a few videos online for basic, one way (MIDI OUT from MC6) control of an AXE FXIII but @hole , @JRod4928 and @Poparad seem to be indicating that a type of 2-way communication between the FM3 and MC6 is possible.

I won't be near my FM3 rig until the weekend but I will try and digest @JRod4928 wrote above and then experiment with my FM3Edit and MC6 Editor to attempt to see the 2-way integration a little better.

Sounds like you're also running the FM3 and MC8 on the same MIDI channel, which in general is a bad idea (because this very thing happens). Generally, it's good practice for each device to have its own dedicated MIDI channel.
That could be it.... I thought i had to be on same channel. I have a different thread to discuss this if that's more appropriate.

I agree @Tremonti. It's the 'how to' on the apparent pseudo 2-way communication between the FM3 and the MC6 that isn't really clear to me either.

James from Morningstar has a few videos online for basic, one way (MIDI OUT from MC6) control of an AXE FXIII but @hole , @JRod4928 and @Poparad seem to be indicating that a type of 2-way communication between the FM3 and MC6 is possible.

I won't be near my FM3 rig until the weekend but I will try and digest @JRod4928 wrote above and then experiment with my FM3Edit and MC6 Editor to attempt to see the 2-way integration a little better.

It's working pretty well actually after I went through the learning curve of how to configure things. Just one issue explained in the other thread

Honestly if you read my explanation near the top of the thread and walk through it I think all will become clear.

The Morningstar is a Midi device - meaning it receives and responds to program changes. The FM3 is a Midi device meaning it responds to PC and CC changes (so they're both basically similar in that regard).

You control the FM3 from the MC by sending program changes (PCs) and continuous controller (CCs) when you press a button.

You control the MC from the FM3 in exactly the same way, the way you get the FM3 to send these messages is either a. using the Midi block which sends messages with a scene change, or b. using the control switches, which can be configured to send CC and PC numbers. These control switches can be triggered by scene changes or linked to a footswitch press on the FM3.

There is no pseudo 2 way communication, there is two way communication.

Hope this helps

This thread literally caused me to add an MC8 to my basket. The only thing holding me from pulling the trigger is the distance between the switches. Does anyone have what the side to side spacing is between foot switches on the MC8 are?

Hmmm. Yeah, that is pretty tight. I have read the spacing on the MC8 is wider, but not sure how much.
Found this on a TGP thread...

it's about 2.5 inches from the center of one footswitch to the center of the one beside it.
I find it easy to hit two switches together (as needed for bank /up/down page toggle) as well as hitting them individually. I also have a MC6 and the switches are about 1/8inch closer together than the MC8.
I also like using the small Barefoot Buttons for accuracy as I use mine as an Ableton Looping controller.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/morningstar-mc8.2099224/page-15

Found this on a TGP thread...

it's about 2.5 inches from the center of one footswitch to the center of the one beside it.
I find it easy to hit two switches together (as needed for bank /up/down page toggle) as well as hitting them individually. I also have a MC6 and the switches are about 1/8inch closer together than the MC8.
I also like using the small Barefoot Buttons for accuracy as I use mine as an Ableton Looping controller.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/morningstar-mc8.2099224/page-15
Thanks!

What makes you want the MC8 vs the FC6? Considering prices are somewhat comparable.

I think this a good point. I went from a MC6 to FM6.

The Morningstar is a decent product. But the integration, ease of use and power in a Fractal context of the FC6 is amazing and a whole different ballgame

I think this a good point. I went from a MC6 to FM6.

The Morningstar is a decent product. But the integration, ease of use and power in a Fractal context of the FC6 is amazing and a whole different ballgame

Last night as I'm sitting there programming the MC6 I'm thinking to myself whether I'd rather pay an extra $200-250 for a FC6 to buy back all the time I'll spend programming the MC6...

If you're a user who will constantly tweak their footswitches, I think you'd get annoyed with programming MIDI all the time. For me, I hope to set it an forget it (using generic preset / scene / effects layouts). We'll see...

I think it depends on context and what you’re using it for. If it’s just to control the FM3, the FC6 is a much better integration. Easier to set up and it shows preset and scene names, has color etc.

If you’re looking to control several different devices via MIDI, the MCs are a lot more flexible with the types of messages, how those messages can be triggered, and how many messages can be included on a single switch. The FM3+FC6 can only send PCs and CCs, can’t do MIDI note, clock, MMC, or SysEx messages. Fractal gear isn’t intended to be the central brain of a complex rig, only to provide core tones and effects, and basic control of external effects.

There are rumors of an MC Pro line coming out with color scribble strips, and some rumors of Fractal bidirectional MIDI feedback coming as a firmware update (think preset and scene names, and toggle states).

Back
Top Bottom