Morningstar MC8 layout help with FM3

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I have the FM3 and the Morningstar MC8. I need a scene layout that does the following.

FM3: Just displays PRESETS, SCENES, and EFFECTS. Hitting these buttons would not change the name or function on the FM3.

MC8: I just want when the FM3 buttons are hit, the MC8 has either 8 Presets, Scenes or Effects to be chosen from.

Can anyone help me with this and possibly send me a layout that would do this? I'm a big dumb animal.

I have this exact setup with the MC6 (i'm kind of mimicing OMG 9 setup). Would be happy to help you out, but not sure what would be the best way. Perhaps send me a DM so we can have contact via email/zoom whatever?

I have this exact setup with the MC6 (i'm kind of mimicing OMG 9 setup). Would be happy to help you out, but not sure what would be the best way. Perhaps send me a DM so we can have contact via email/zoom whatever?

Basically I think we would need to set up the FM3 to send a CC to the MC6/MC8 which triggers the MC to change banks or pages. Then would need to configure the MC to send the right command to select the proper preset, scene, or effect toggle.

I guess the first question is how to set up the FM3 to send to MC so that it changes bank/pages.

2nd question is how to set up MC to change FM3 as explained.

Not trying to hijack, @Tremonti :)

I dont have a midi controller, but I am interested in getting one down the road sometime. Maybe it would be good to post your solution on Youtube for all to see?

You need to use control switches.

Each switch on the FC3 should be set to latched, control switch.

Then in the CS Config you specify a Midi command that is sent to change the program on the MC8. (So if your MC8 layouts were programs 1-3 - you'd set one CS to send PC 1, one to send PC2 etc)

Just make sure the MC8 is set not to support Midi through (so it doesn't sent the program change back to the FM3)

Hope this helps

Oh and to add, CS can send PC or CC messages - so if you need to use CC instead all good, only downside is you only have 6 switches and the Midi mappings are global, not per preset

This sounds really useful. Any chance you could do a vid of this and share with the 'rest of us'?

I would have to do that with my mobile phone, which makes terrible quality video. But I am willing to try.

Disclaimer: not all OMG stuff can be done with this setup...but most can
Thanks @hole . Any insight into the config 'what may be possible' would be helpful for sure.

Pretty easy:

In the "Layout" menu, select the layout you want to use for the FM3 and assign the first three buttons to "Control Switch" and assign each to CS1, CS2, and CS3.

Then, page over to the "CS MIDI" page and set the first three control switches to use the "PC" command, set the channel to whichever MIDI channel your MC8 is configured for, and set the "On Value" to the bank number (0 = Bank 1). Note: Each control switch has up to four commands. To switch between control switches, highlight "CS1" at the top of the page and select the others there.

The only thing I don't think you can do is customize the text labels for the FM3 buttons.

Pretty easy:

In the "Layout" menu, select the layout you want to use for the FM3 and assign the first three buttons to "Control Switch" and assign each to CS1, CS2, and CS3.

Then, page over to the "CS MIDI" page and set the first three control switches to use the "PC" command, set the channel to whichever MIDI channel your MC8 is configured for, and set the "On Value" to the bank number (0 = Bank 1). Note: Each control switch has up to four commands. To switch between control switches, highlight "CS1" at the top of the page and select the others there.

The only thing I don't think you can do is customize the text labels for the FM3 buttons.
Yes you can, custom label (choose custom at the bottom of the screen)

So I was able to set up the FM3 to toggle effects on and off pretty easily on Bank 3 on MC3. Changing presets and scenes are causing some issues though.

When I hit the MC6 B button (whether on Bank 1 (Presets) or Bank 2 (Scenes), it sends the message to the FM3 to change presets or scenes, as intended. But immediately after, the FM3 changes presets. I triple checked to make sure the MC6 is programed to only send 1 PC (for changing presets) or CC (for changing scenes), so not sure why it's doing this. Any ideas?

... infact even just hitting the SCENES (control switch 2) button on the FM3 causes it to change presets. And it switches the MC to bank 2 (intended) then immediately changes to bank 1 (unintended)..... I think CS2 is doing something extra that I don't want.

By the way, the final post on this page has helped me... https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-morningstar-mc6-does-the-usb-type-a-supply-power.167790/

And this one too. https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/midi-mapping-for-scenes.168128/

Last edited:
Setting up effects is easy. Just go to... SETUP. MIDI/REMOTE. BYPASS TAB. select the CC# you want for each effect. Then go to MC editor and configure your MC to send the corresponding CC. You could also do this in reverse (select MC midi CC first) and then go to the FM3 and use the LEARN function to assign the effect to the MC pedal of your choice... also make sure you select EFF BYPASS MODE to TOGGLE on the GENERAL tab, if you want that of course.

Side note. If you page over 1 further to the CHANNEL tab, you can do the same here too, except you're assigning the channel obviously.

Back
Top Bottom