Morningstar MC6 to Mimic FC6 (OMC9?)

JRod4928

Power User
It is common to download presets that are already configured for OMG9. I don't have an FC6, but do have a Morningstar MC6. (OMC9?)

I'd like to be able to configure MC6 so that the commands mimic the FC6. So that when I download a preset already configured for OMG9, it will work seamlessly with my OMC9 (that's it, I'm just calling it that from now on).

Do we know the FC6 commands, such that I can configure the MC6 to send the same commands when buttons are pushed (or held down)? Maybe this is easier to do than I think, but I'm new to both pieces of equipment and don't want to waste time.

I’ve thought about trying this. You can set the FM3 switches as Control Switches, each with a MIDI payload to switch banks on the MC6. Not as nifty as Layout Links but the concept works.

Here’s where it breaks down (or at least becomes less useful and less integrated than an FC6).

You can create banks on the MC6 for scenes changes on the FM3, but you can’t name them anything other than Scene 1, Scene 2, etc. Unless you happen to use the same scene names in all your presets.

Likewise, you can create an MC6 bank (or several banks) for FM3 presets. These you can name, since they’d be accessing presets directly via program changes. But your list of presets on the FM3 and MC6 won’t stay in sync - anytime you add a new preset or move one around on the FM3, you’ll have to go in and do some manual tweaks to the MC6 to realize those changes.

Creating an effects bank on the MC6 is doable. The on/off state of effects can be simulated with blinking or with Toggle text. Bear in mind that since the FM3 isn’t sending feedback or status back to the MC6, the on/off state won’t always be in sync. For example, if a drive block is stored in a preset as ON, the MC6 might initially think the block is off when you first pull up the preset, but as soon as you tap it once, they’ll sync up.

The per-preset switch overrides are also trickier. With OMG9, you can configure a single FM3 preset to do something special or different with the FC6 switches. You can simulate this on the MC6 by dedicating an MC6 bank to that specific preset, and a MIDI block in the preset to recall the MC6 bank.

Overall, it’s tedious but mostly doable. The point of OMG9 seems to be to make everything much easier to configure and use.

The point of OMG9 seems to be to make everything much easier to configure and use.
Yep. And the more I tried to make my MC6 behave like a FC6, the more convinced I became that it couldn’t be done to the degree of integration the FC6 already has by default.

The MC6 and FC6 are totally different animals with different goals using different technology. The Fractal ecosystem is designed to work together and the tools used to program the switches and layouts reflect that; they’re specialized. The MC6 is generic, and that divide between the two is not going to change even if you spend weeks programming it. I found it wasn’t worth my time and frustration and bit the bullet. The built-in layouts just work, and are supported by the factory. The OMG layouts are supported by the factory (OMG9 in the FM3) and the community.

I use MC6 to step through presets on the AXE3 and add the extra scenes missing in conjunction with the FC6 I'm using- barely scratching the surface but does what I need. I'd bet you can get a lot of mileage out using MC6 this way.

Back
Top Bottom