Morningstar MC6 mkII and Axe-Fx III

Giordydiver

Inspired
Is morningstar mc6 mkII fully compatible with axe fx III. Reading manual I see that there is a function for axe fx tuner but dont say which version of axe...

Nothing but the FC pedals are currently "fully compatible"... The Axe Fx III midi spec is not released, so there is no way for a manufacturer to integrate yet.

I own an MC 6 (1st gen) and a Mk II.
The only incompatibility I know of is that when you want to toggle an effect on and off, you need to stomp a switch twice the first time you use that patch. Then it works properly. Every time you go to a new patch you need to do this initially.
Some effects don't require the "extra stomp", not sure why.
Maybe the new MC has resolved this?

I own an MC 6 (1st gen) and a Mk II.
The only incompatibility I know of is that when you want to toggle an effect on and off, you need to stomp a switch twice the first time you use that patch. Then it works properly. Every time you go to a new patch you need to do this initially.
Some effects don't require the "extra stomp", not sure why.
Maybe the new MC has resolved this?

My MC6 Mk1 is toast. I'm either just going to replace it with same version or upgrade to the MkII. Do you find major advantages of the MKII? also do you use both together with the Axe?

Not sure exactly. Just one morning went to power it on and there was a line of blocks across screen. Tried the reset button etc and been talking with Morningstar about options. Fortunately I held on to my 10 yr old Behringer1010 (Eureka prom). Fired it up and it works flawlessly. In fact, got me wondering why i upgraded in the first place. haha good old case of GAS i guess.

Last edited:
I have the MC6 MKII for my AxeIII and it is a nice smallish controller. I’ve been able to get more new setup to handle preset changes (direct or via increment/decrement), scene changes (again direct or +/-), and blocks on/off without any issues. I can trigger the tuner in my III, but still working to get the visual on my MC6. Hope this helps.

Lee

I have the MC6 MKII for my AxeIII and it is a nice smallish controller. I’ve been able to get more new setup to handle preset changes (direct or via increment/decrement), scene changes (again direct or +/-), and blocks on/off without any issues. I can trigger the tuner in my III, but still working to get the visual on my MC6. Hope this helps.

Lee
Lee

Interested in how you got preset up/down to work - that's the one thing which I haven't managed.

Care to share?

Thanks

Pete

Hey Pete

Sure, I'll be glad to share this. I was just checking this forum before heading to bed. I'll post the info tomorrow, when I can verify what I'm posting is correct, and not half asleep.

Lee

Ok, sorry for the delay guys.

In the AxeFXIII, go into setup, and to the MIDI/Remote selection. Page over to the “Other” page (last on the right) and enter the CC# values for both Scene Increment and Scene Decrement. (See below)
1A842A0C-965E-48D2-9225-425125AEB48B.jpeg

Then in the Morningstar Editor (you can work on their web version or download to your computer) you’ll setup a switch for each.
253D2300-90B7-4E4B-AAEA-0DDC7437D63D.jpeg

As you can see above, I have mine on the two right hand switches (1C & 1F). Click on your chosen switch so the editor will know the switch to adjust. On Msg1 (topmost message on the editor screen) I chose the action=Press (from drop down menu) and Type=Control Change.
2D5E1798-2061-4CC8-838C-8A96D834F7B0.jpeg

Click the “Edit” button on the row for Msg1, and enter the CC# you chose for either Scene + or Scene -, depending on which you are currently assigning. In this photo,
ECDEFEE6-6EFD-44BD-87DD-1FF96FA17C2F.jpeg

I’m setting up my Scene+, so I entered 123, (which is what I assigned in my AxeFXIII in the first image above) even though it is a bit hard to read. The value field doesn’t seem to have an relavence to this feature, so you can just leave it as zero. Make sure the channel is the same as your AxeFXIII is set.

To setup the other one (Scene-), just chose another switch and follow the same structure, entering the CC# you created in your AxeFXIII. Mine is 124.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if something doesn’t make sense.

Lee

Oops, I re-read your request. I guess I didn’t sleep so well last night. I obviously showed how to do scenes +/-! I’ll get my photos together for the presets +/-. Give me a few.

Ok, so here we go. To have a switch on your MC6 MKII perform a Preset+, choose which switch you want to use (and press it while attached to the Morningstar Editor). I use switch 1B.
2BC340C5-52E9-4241-A047-DE8BC8F6DA2A.jpeg

For Msg1, In the Action field select “Press” and in the Type field select “PC Scroll Up”
6B9B8D67-F5CB-407A-AD67-D09E680374DA.jpeg

Click edit in the row as Msg1 and this is how I have my values set:
F51FC17D-CB8A-442A-B196-62D33717F28A.jpeg

These settings move sequentially through the presets in your AxeFXIII, but only up through 127 (which is the largest number currently allowed in the editor). You could set up a more narrow grouping If perhaps you only wanted to move between say, five of your presets during a gig. And you could have different groupings like that in different Banks.

Hope this helps guys! Let me know if you have any questions.

Lee

Last edited:
Ok, so here we go. To have a switch on your MD6 MKII perform a Preset+, choose which switch you want to use (and press it while attached to the Morningstar Editor). I use switch 1B.
View attachment 47837

For Msg1, In the Action field select “Press” and in the Type field select “PC Scroll Up”
View attachment 47839

Click edit in the row as Mag1and this is how I have my values set:
View attachment 47838

These settings move sequentially through the presets in your AxeFXIII, but only up through 127 (which is the largest number currently allowed in the editor). You could set up a more narrow grouping If perhaps you only wanted to move between say, five of your presets during a gig. And you could have different groupings like that in different Banks.

Hope this helps guys! Let me know if you have any questions.

Lee

Thanks Lee, will try that

I was so close! I just didn't have the increment set right

I've tried the PC Scroll up/dwn with the Axe II with no success. I'm gonna give this another try with your settings but wonder if there is something different with the Axe III that allows this to happen?...

Thanks Lee, will try that

I was so close! I just didn't have the increment set right

I intended to include that you can also create a second switch using PC Scroll Down, so you have a Preset- to go in the opposite direction.

Let me know how it works for you.

Lee

I've tried the PC Scroll up/dwn with the Axe II with no success. I'm gonna give this another try with your settings but wonder if there is something different with the Axe III that allows this to happen?...
Hmmm, good question. Let me know how it goes. I do still have my XL+, so I may take a peak at it if you have troubles with this.

Back
Top Bottom