Morningstar MC-6 quick review

flying_walrus

Experienced
after a couple of days dancing with the post office about whether i had to go to them or whether it was on the truck for delivery, I finally have hands on my MC-6 today!

Mine is a transitional model; the older MC-6 built into the newer MC-6+ chassis. it's missing the MIDI in and expression pedal inputs from the newer model, but i don't particularly need those features.

it's solidly built, gorgeous, and very easy to program.

in 5 minutes i was able to set up three switches to control the looper record, play, and once on my FX8 ... but the unit is flexible enough that i might decide to toggle between record and play with one switch.

I like that all 6 switches are available in each bank, and that you use chords to access bank-up and bank-down instead of requiring dedicated up/down switches.

there is a web based editor, but i haven't tried it yet. honestly, the front panel controls are simple enough i doubt i'll be tempted to use it much at all.

I'll expand my review when i have a little more time with it

new things I've thought up to do with my Morningstar mc-6:

fx-8 global solo boost.

cc35, out post vol increment, and cc36 out post volume decrement, can be used to increase and decrease the volume of post-out. set a mc-6 switch to type "control change toggle number" and then as many increments and decrement as you need. this should take no more than a couple minutes to dial in during sound check, and then you're set for the gig.

[edit] if you get the fancy version with the expression Inputs...

Last edited:
Yeaup. Totally need to add one of these to my AX8 rig as a I get it locked down to a pedalboard. Thanks for the review!

new thing # 2: momentary switching between scenes.

in my preset for Aces High, I've got scene 6 set up for harmony, and scene 7 set up for unison (with a bit of detune). during a couple of passages I need to quickly switch between unison and harmony, so I've programmed a foot switch to send cc # 34 (scene select) value 5 when I step on it, and value 6 when I release (scene 1 is value 0,scene 2 value 1, etc)

Back
Top Bottom