Morgan AC20 Deluxe

ssmorga78

Experienced
So, I just recently picked up an early Morgan AC20 Deluxe and noticed that the Cut control on the actual amp is completely opposite to how it operates in the Axe. Was this done like it is in the Axe for it to make more sense(the higher you turn the value up, the more the high end it cut) vs. how it is used in the Morgan(the higher you dial it clockwise the more high end it adds to the signal)??? Just trying to wrap my head around how to setup the actual amp as compared to how I have it setup in the Axe.

Ears not eyes, best way to go about it.
Yes, yes, yes ..... I know that! I just wanted to try and A/B comparison with settings in the same general areas just to test out .... that was the reason for my question, just to make sure it was done that way on purpose.

So, I just recently picked up an early Morgan AC20 Deluxe and noticed that the Cut control on the actual amp is completely opposite to how it operates in the Axe. Was this done like it is in the Axe for it to make more sense(the higher you turn the value up, the more the high end it cut) vs. how it is used in the Morgan(the higher you dial it clockwise the more high end it adds to the signal)??? Just trying to wrap my head around how to setup the actual amp as compared to how I have it setup in the Axe.
i thought i remembered that the high cut knob was backward on the model, but now i can’t find the documentation.

Yes, it operates in reverse. If something is called High Cut it should increase the cut as you turn it up IMO.

Yes, it operates in reverse. If something is called High Cut it should increase the cut as you turn it up IMO.
I agree .... but, in Joe's defense, he does just have it labeled Cut and doesn't specify whether it's a High Cut or Low Cut. He just kinda leaves it for everyone who does a demo video of the thing to butcher describing what the controls do on their own, lol

I intuitively think of boost or cut as being more boost or less cut happening as you rotate the knob clockwise. But what I intuitively think is completely arbitrary. It works either way.

I agree .... but, in Joe's defense, he does just have it labeled Cut and doesn't specify whether it's a High Cut or Low Cut. He just kinda leaves it for everyone who does a demo video of the thing to butcher describing what the controls do on their own, lol

I wonder if he maybe means it as something like "turn up cut to cut through the mix, turn it down to say back in the mix".

Either way, arbitrary names are arbitrary, assuming the actual circuit is basically a high cut then flipping it to behave like one makes enough sense.

It's called "Tone Cut" or just "Cut" on Vox amps and that's the way it works there. Turn it up to cut more highs. Just like a tone knob in a guitar.

The Cut knob is a simple variable low pass/high cut filter just like a guitar tone knob. They both use a variable resistor in series with a capacitor to shunt high frequencies to ground. The only difference is the control direction. Vox uses the other side of the pot so fully clockwise on the control is the darkest setting (the most high cut). Guitar tone knobs and the Cut control on the Morgan are the opposite, where fully clockwise is the brightest setting (the least high cut).

Back
Top Bottom