Wish More Tuner String Offsets (for pedal steel)

Chadwick

Inspired
I play pedal steel guitar (10 strings E9 tuning) with my axe fx II (and III when I get it today!) and having the ability to save more string tuning offsets (+/- cents) by note (and octaves of the note ex. E1, E2 etc.) would be awesome.

Thanks FAS!

Not sure if I should add this here or start another thread but I would like more offsets as well. Mainly a quarter tone or +/-50cents, (current limit is +/-25 cents), as I was trying to play along to Pantera FBD and Dimebag (RIP) tuned to full step down and then 40 or 50 cents flatter. I believe the first two Van Halen albums were the same..?

I managed to get close by choosing the available -25 cents and changing the calibration from 440z to 430 Hz but would prefer to use a +/- 50 cents option with the on/off switch if possible...?

Last edited:
I play pedal steel guitar (10 strings E9 tuning) with my axe fx II (and III when I get it today!) and having the ability to save more string tuning offsets (+/- cents) by note (and octaves of the note ex. E1, E2 etc.) would be awesome.

Thanks FAS!
Do you have the Peterson StroboPlusHD? I run it into my vol pedal and into the AX8. I have a custom Sweetener based on Jeff Newman offsets (E's +9.8 cents) and just adds my complete copedent. Plus, it's a separate, always on screen, and the strobe is accurate to 1/1000th of a half step.
I noticed the Axe III added strobe, but I don't know how it compares to the Peterson.

I personally find such accuracy kind of silly for stringed and fretted instruments because as soon as you pick or fret a note the tuning has changed, so what is the point of 1/1000th of a step tuning if it’s inherently unstable ?

If I can keep a string stable at 1/10th a cent it would be the best setup I’ve ever done, and even then, how many songs will that last before having to retune again anyways?

Each line on the Axe III tuner I believe corresponds to 1 cent and their are big markers at 10 cents. So I just eyeball my offsets it when tuning my steel guitar and then if need be make any adjustments by ear.

It’s just a wish. It would be nice if it was an easy addition, but I know Fractal has more pressing things on the go. It’s not really a big deal for me, I just thought I would throw it on the wish list.

I personally find such accuracy kind of silly for stringed and fretted instruments because as soon as you pick or fret a note the tuning has changed, so what is the point of 1/1000th of a step tuning if it’s inherently unstable ?

If I can keep a string stable at 1/10th a cent it would be the best setup I’ve ever done, and even then, how many songs will that last before having to retune again anyways?

On PSG, you have compounding tuning. You tune open, and also a pedal/lever combo. Most players don't use equal temperament. It takes longer to tune with fine tuning, but it's great for a guitar tech or a pedal steel guitar.

Not sure if I should add this here or start another thread but I would like more offsets as well. Mainly a quarter tone or +/-50cents, (current limit is +/-25 cents), as I was trying to play along to Pantera FBD and Dimebag (RIP) tuned to full step down and then 40 or 50 cents flatter. I believe the first two Van Halen albums were the same..?

I managed to get close by choosing the available -25 cents and changing the calibration from 440z to 430 Hz but would prefer to use a +/- 50 cents option with the on/off switch if possible...?

Tune to the next note lower and go UP instead. That method effectively gives you the +/- 50 cents you're asking for. (I think lol)

As for Dimebag, set the tuner to 437hz and be done with it

Back
Top Bottom