More "throaty" sound using Marsha

The Marsha BE has been my go-to amp block since it was introduced in the AxeFx. I wouldn't describe it as being particularly "throaty"... for a throaty sound I typically pick Recto New or Recto Orange. That's not to say the Marsha can't get there. Start with the default amp settings for the Marsh BE. Set the drive to about 6, bass to 3, and the Master to about 7.5. Move the Master around some. Lowering it some may introduce more of a throaty quality and will clean up the sound a bit. As the sound cleans up the tone controls start to have more of an impact. You can move the tone around to accentuate the low mids to bring out the throatiness.

Also Look into the free custom IR's from Red Wirez. That suite is for a Marshall 1960A with Greenbacks. The Greenbacks provide a smoother less raspy sound as compared to V30's. Find an IR from that set which gets you close. Once you're almost there, maybe introduce a PEQ between the amp & cab blocks. Boost 1k by 3db or so with a Q of 0.707.

I'm doing this all by memory... If I get a chance I'll sit with the Axe and play around a bit to see if what I said matches how the Axe responds.

Perhaps i don't understand what you are talking about but i can get the sound of the video by just setting the master at 2 or 3. With all high gain amps don't hesitate to lower the master.

bmi said:
Perhaps i don't understand what you are talking about but i can get the sound of the video by just setting the master at 2 or 3. With all high gain amps don't hesitate to lower the master.

Gulp. Here's a first in a long time - I'm agreeing fully with bmi.
:shock:

He's right, IMHO.

Finding it difficult to dial in the Marsha too. I used the HBE at first but I've switched to the BE, with a a high Drive setting.

I had a (real LOL) Plexi reiusse some time ago,

They are right, Throaty = Master Volume Cranked

Sag is going to play a rule here, as of course Greenbacks

charles5150 said:
I had a (real LOL) Plexi reiusse some time ago,

They are right, Throaty = Master Volume Cranked

Sag is going to play a rule here, as of course Greenbacks

Plexis were non-MV amps, even the reissue(s). So cranking the MV works for the Plexi, Plexi2 and 1987X sims.

The Marsha is different though. It gets its gain mostly from the preamp stage. It can't be compared directly to a real Plexi in this aspect.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well,

What I meant is that if you want to set the "flavor" of a non master volume amp using a master volume amp, you have to crank MV and try not getting so much distortion from the gain.

That way, you get power tube distortion instead of pream distortion, and that's what I understand as "throaty".
But maybe the first thing is to define "throaty".... :D

Back
Top Bottom