More suggestions

Radley

Experienced
• Please consider changing the chorus waveshape in the Reverb block to triangle - I'm hearing the modulation 'turn the corners' and it detracts from the smoothness IMHO (when using long, heavy Verb).

• It would be nice if the flashing bypass feature for effects could be 'sped up' significantly, or maybe even changed to the name of the effect in "reverse negative" display - this is to make the status more readily/clearly identifiable. A similar change would also be welcome for knowing which edit knob is selected for adjustment (blinking). Sometimes we have to make edit adjustments when not in the optimum physical position, so anything to make things stand out clearer is a good thing, no?

• Consider changing the default waveshape for all pitch modulation sources to triangle, since most folks want the smoothest shape with no 'sharp turns' then followed by relatively 'dead spots' (signwave).

• Use one of the front buttons as a "shift', to do things like make the scroll wheel scan forward or backwards through the effects edit menu & quickly scroll up & down thru the advanced parameters menu - there are many other shortcuts that could be useful as well. Possibly this shift feature could be implemented by a switch built in to the scroll wheel itself, by simply pushing on it?

Thanks,
~Radbot~

I don't think you'll like triangle waveforms for chorus/pitch stuff but I will look into it. The actual pitch shift is the first derivative of the LFO waveform. So for a sine wave the pitch shift is then a sine wave. For a triangle wave the pitch shift will be a square wave. You'll get a constant pitch shift and then an abrupt change to a pitch shift in the opposite direction and so on. Far more noticeable and, IMO, ugly sounding. You can experiment with the different waveforms in the chorus block to hear the effects.

For reverb tail modulation some people have postulated that a random LFO may be better. Since that's one of the stock LFO types it would be a simple change.

Yo Cliff - although I have done these wave tests numerous times before, I wanted to be sure, so I have just spent some quality time listening to the AFX Chorus block carefully, trying each of the waveshapes - for the comparison, I used a fairly slow mod rate and had the depth pretty high with a 50/50 mix so I could hear all parts of the waves clearly. To my ears, it was a no-brainer.... the triangle shape was the only one that had no 'dead' spots or 'hot' spots - it had the most continuity of motion and also sounded the fullest, IMO.

To me this makes sense because at the top and bottom of each wave the change of direction is instant (no delay or gap), and the rest of the time the pitch is changing at a steady rate (straight line to the next change of direction) - if the triangle is symetrical, the pitch is changing at the exact same rate & amount whether traveling up or down....Voila! very smooth chorusing :)

The sine sounded rather uneven, and the rest were almost unusable for chorusing to my ear - as usual, take all this for what it's worth :geek:

~Hadley~

Back
Top Bottom