Implemented More start values for ext ctrl.

666was999

Fractal Fanatic
The external controllers can start with values of 0 or 100, but nothing in between. But to me that limits their use to simple on/off functions. Because when you assign them to something with a range like reverb, gain or an eq band it starts with the lowest (no gain) or the highest (full gain) value only but allows for nothing in the middle.

With reverb mix I want to be able to have a range from 0 (off) to 50 (a lot), but would most of the time start with around 10 to 20. Limiting the upper or lower range of the modifier to a usefull value is no solution in that example.

And as long as a parameter is tied to an ext ctrl you can not change it's value by hand, you need to feed the ext ctrl with a value. Right now the only solution is to send a value via midi to it which means you always and everywhere have to take a midi controller with you, otherwise your presets won't work.

So please: Can we have some more steps of start up values?

But you CAN set the starting value of a parameter. Like Reverb Mix at 20%.

Just turn the parameter to that value (the regular parameter, not in the modifier menu) and save the preset.

In the modifier menu of of that parameter you also need to set the parameter PC RST to "on".

Now, when you recall that preset Reverb Mix will be at 20%, until you change the state of the external controller.

Yek, thanks for answering.

With PC RST it's not working the way I want it. When I play a ballad with lots of reverb I want to keep that setting for the whole song and I don't want it to get reset as soon as I change to a different preset.

When I feed the ext ctrl for the reverb with a higher value I get a louder and longer reverb in all of my presets as long as I want it until I feed it with a lower value.

It's about what the ext ctrls are for: Allowing to make a setting that keeps it's value even over preset changes (and without the need to resend it from the footboard which would cause hickups).

The solution to that is using scenes instead of presets within a single song.
That's part of the purpose of scenes.

But the first part of my answer is working for you now?

[EDIT: disregard this paragraph] If you would want to retain a certain parameter setting inbetween 0 and 100, without a MIDI controller connected, you could create a "start" preset. This preset would set the modified parameter at the desired setting as explained, with PC RST set to "on". All other presets would have PC RST set to "off" for that modified parameter. So the first preset sets the value, and the others maintain it.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...controllers#PC_RST_.28Program_Change_Reset.29

It's about what the ext ctrls are for: Allowing to make a setting that keeps it's value even over preset changes (and without the need to resend it from the footboard which would cause hickups).

I wouldn't say that this is what ext ctrls are for. For example, I wouln't want a Wah pedal setting to "survive" preset switching.

If you would want to retain a certain parameter setting inbetween 0 and 100, without a MIDI controller connected, you could create a "start" preset. This preset would set the modified parameter at the desired setting as explained, with PC RST set to "on". All other presets would have PC RST set to "off" for that...

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...controllers#PC_RST_.28Program_Change_Reset.29

Would that 'send' a value into the ext ctrl slot, so other presets get the value based on that preset? That was genius, because I then could make a bunch of different 'start' presets. Got to try it as soon as I get home after work.

Scenes can not cover what my 'stomp box' kind of setup can do. Lets say I control delay, reverb and gain with pedals, each can have 3 settings (low, medium, high), then you have as on/off a boost, an auto-wah and a flanger.
To cover all combinations you'd need 3x3x3x2x2=108 combinations.
That's way more than what the 8 scenes can cover.

Now in the real world I have some more than that few IAs. Things like chorus, amp2, gain attenuate, bass boost, sfx and some eqs.

If you would want to retain a certain parameter setting inbetween 0 and 100, without a MIDI controller connected, you could create a "start" preset. This preset would set the modified parameter at the desired setting as explained, with PC RST set to "on". All other presets would have PC RST set to "off" for that modified parameter. So the first preset sets the value, and the others maintain it.

The other presets would reflect the Ext Ctrl init value, not anything that happened to the parameter in the first preset.

I have found a way to feed cc values into the Axe-fx III without any outboard midi gear.
I have made a preset with a scene midi block and this one sends CCs when you call up one of the scenes. To let the Axe-fx receive these messages I have to connect it's midi out with it's midi in.
That's working!

Back
Top Bottom