More Scene controller Tips

javajunkie

You can control multiple parameters to different values using just one Scene Controller.

For example, you can morph an amp to two completely different gain settings.

Say you want to take an amp from clean w/ high Master Volume to distorted with medium Master Volume while retaining the wanted levels between them.

First, set Scene1 Controller to Scene 1 = 0%, Scene 2 = 100%

Next, determine the Input Drive, Master volume, Level setting you want to go to and from. Using the X/Y of the amp blocks is probably the fastest way so you can A/B.
In this case say we want to go from drive 2.5, master 10, level -6db to drive 6, master 5, level -12db.

Then, attach the Scene 1 Controller to the Input Drive. Set its min to 2.5 and its max 6. On the master do the same but set its min 10 and max 5. Lastly, set the level setting min to -6db and Max to -12db.
Now when you switch between Scene 1 and Scene 2, all the parameters will switch at once.

How is this different from X/Y you ask?

Well, it is completely smooth with no drop out at all.

But wait, there is more...

We also have a dampening parameter we can use the the Modifier menu so we can use that to slow down the process and morph from one scene to the next. Pretty cool in you ask me :)

Using the dampening parameter works for other things like delay and reverb where you may not want a sudden shift but occur more gradually.

Have fun!

You can control multiple parameters to different values using just one Scene Controller.

Say you want to take an amp from Clean w/ High Master Volume to Distorted with Medium Master Volume.

First Set Scene1 Controller to Scene 1 = 0%, Scene 2 = 100%

First determine the Input Drive, Master volume, Level setting you want to go to and from. Using the X/Y of the amp blocks is probably the fastest way so you can A/B.
In this case say we wanted to go from drive 2.5, master 10, level -6db to drive 6, master 5, level -12db

Then attach the Scene 1 Controller to the Input Drive. Set its min to 2.5 and its max 6, on the master do the same but set its min 10 and max 5, then with level setting min to -6db and Max to -12db
Now when you switch between Scene 1 and Scene 2 all the parameters will switch at once.

Well, it is completely smooth no drop out at all.

We also have a dampening parameter we can use the the Modifier menu so we can use that to slow down the process and morph from one scene to the next. Pretty cool in you ask me :)

Also, using the dampening parameter works for other things like delay and reverb where you may not want a sudden shift, but occur more gradually.

Have fun!

Great.
And yes, Damping is cool for this. Lets you create interesting and dramatic fx, like gradual pitch rise/drop between scenes.
More easy to program than using internal controllers, IMHO.

Yeah, that's cool. I have a clean->dirty amp morph using the mixer block and I can replace with scene controllers. Good stuff.

Such a simple thing, But WOW, what a real game changer!! What an unexpected surprise! The Amp and Cab modeling advances are so appreciated, But new and unique functionalism like this make FW-12 one of my favorite updates. (so far....)

I have NEVER been this satisfied with ANY purchase that I have EVER made.

Also, using the dampening parameter works for other things like delay and reverb where you may not want a sudden shift, but occur more gradually.

I was playing with damping on amp settings this morning! It's fantastic!

A really amazingly deep new feature has been unleashed here with scene controllers.

you do realise that all this functionality is now going to be so deeply embedded into my config that it is now not possible for me to jump ship to another fx unit no matter how good it sounds…

modifiers
scenes
scenes controllers

I'm convinced that I'm now locked-in to FAS and the Axe-II [and whatever follows]

I can't use real amps… can't use any other fx unit..
there is just nowhere else to go…
FAS for life..

you do realise that all this functionality is now going to be so deeply embedded into my config that it is now not possible for me to jump ship to another fx unit no matter how good it sounds…

modifiers
scenes
scenes controllers

I'm convinced that I'm now locked-in to FAS and the Axe-II [and whatever follows]

I can't use real amps… can't use any other fx unit..
there is just nowhere else to go…
FAS for life..

It's like getting snoo-snoo'ed to death. I'm good with it. ;)

death-by-snu-snu-gif.gif

Say you want to take an amp from Clean w/ High Master Volume to Distorted with Medium Master Volume.

First determine the Input Drive, Master volume, Level setting you want to go to and from. Using the X/Y of the amp blocks is probably the fastest way so you can A/B.
In this case say we wanted to go from drive 2.5, master 10, level -6db to drive 6, master 5, level -12db

Then attach the Scene 1 Controller to the Input Drive. Set its min to 2.5 and its max 6, on the master do the same but set its min 10 and max 5, then with level setting min to -6db and Max to -12db
Now when you switch between Scene 1 and Scene 2 all the parameters will switch at once.

I am 100% totally flashed! Since Fw12, still no Axe-Fx II on my hands. So i thought the whole time, "Scene Controllers" will be directly attached to a parameter. So, i wondered, why the don`t named "Scene Modifiers".

But just this (wrong) assumption seems to me BIG TIME! Now, you open my eyes! Scene Controllers are located like the other Controllers (Externals, LFO, Envelope, etc.) - and that`s why the be named, as the were named: scene CONTROLLERS".
So, because now i understand, that they control modifiers, not direct a parameter - this is

BIG²TIME² !!! One Scene Controller can manage multiple taper settings through individual modifier (interpreter). BIIIIG TIIIIME!!!

Cliff or Matt, or the one who had this idea is genius! Now i think, this is as BIG as SCENES introduction in FW9! Really!

Your example makes me want to articulate a very old WISH again:
Beside DRIVE/MASTER/LEVEL i truly now want to have PRESENCE/BMT also be able to attach to modifiers! In combination with Scene Controllers this would mean a completely MIDIsized AMP with up to 8 Presets (here: Scenes). Double that with AMP2 and "Scene Controller 2" and you get something like a fully remotable AMP, like a Mesa triaxis in ONE Preset!

Two Channels (AMPS), 2x 8 remoteable AMP-SETTINGS in ONE PRESET!

NO X/Y - NO drop OUTS
Not 4 "Amp-Channels" (Amp1,2 + x/y) -> up to 8 Amp-Settings and selectable Mono- or Dual-Amp per SCENE.

In ONE Preset!

That would be BIG³TIME³ ;)

I really must lay down my hands right NOW to my Axe-Fx II, but it`s still in the rehearsal room ... ;(

I AM TOTALLY FLASHED!!!!!!!!!

Have fun!

How would you continue for additional Scenes? You set Scene 1 to 0% and Scene 2 to 100% under Control menu, what would Scenes 3-8 be set to for additional Scenes. I've been using Modifiers much in the same way to control multiple parameters. Just haven't wrapped my head around this yet, lol. Getting old!

Sent from my iPhone

How would you continue for additional Scenes? You set Scene 1 to 0% and Scene 2 to 100% under Control menu, what would Scenes 3-8 be set to for additional Scenes. I've been using Modifiers much in the same way to control multiple parameters. Just haven't wrapped my head around this yet, lol. Getting old!

Sent from my iPhone

you would set them to either 0 or 100 depending on whether you wanted a the clean or dirty amp.

now you could state things by using values higher than 0 and lower than 100. That May or may not work, depending on the circumstance.

How would you continue for additional Scenes? You set Scene 1 to 0% and Scene 2 to 100% under Control menu

i think a common confusion with this new feature is the name of "Scene 1" and "Scene 2" when you choose them in the Source list and in the Controller menu.

"Scene 1" in these menus does not mean the 1st Scene out of the 8 available. it actually means "Scene Controller #1" - one of two available controllers that can have different values per scene.

Last edited:
you would set them to either 0 or 100 depending on whether you wanted a the clean or dirty amp.

now you could state things by using values higher than 0 and lower than 100. That May or may not work, depending on the circumstance.

So clean or dirty is an either off or on type thing? Or do the Min and Max settings in the modifier menu affect the actual levels the way a typical modifier would? Still not understanding the function of the Min and Max values.
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone

Or do the Min and Max settings in the modifier menu affect the actual levels the way a typical modifier would?

exactly. in this example, the min/max settings were chosen to create that clean/dirty amp. they can be anything to create a slightly dirty, very dirty or whatever.

jeez…. I need to do some serious experimentation in this area…

I'm seeing solutions that have the potential to claw back valuable cpu % points
for my heavier presets, getting under 90% improves MIDI performance
for my lighter presets, it make room to add yet more functionality…

with scene controllers [just set basic in the control / scene menu] I've managed to drop a 91% preset to 79%
getting smart with the scene controller modifiers my allow me to do away with more blocks

right now I've using 4 vol blocks to provide the equivalent of being able to place 4 modifiers on an amp's input-trim
now with no vol block, I can do the same on a per scene basis..
I currently use 5 scenes..
so, I can ditch all 4 vol blocks and use scene control on all 5 amp input-trim parms..
more functionality, simpler grid layout, less cpu..
it's a win - win situation

Last edited:
jeez…. I need to do some serious experimentation in this area…

I'm seeing solutions that have the potential to claw back valuable cpu % points
for my heavier presets, getting under 90% improves MIDI performance
for my lighter presets, it make room to add yet more functionality...

Me too! I've long been a user of modifiers thanks to your input. Now, thanks to a preset posting in the Axe Fest thread, trying to wrap my head around using Scenes and Expression pedal use, and now this! Reworking my thought process.
Gonna be a long day!

Sent from my iPhone

Me too! I've long been a user of modifiers thanks to your input. Now, thanks to a preset posting in the Axe Fest thread, trying to wrap my head around using Scenes and Expression pedal use, and now this! Reworking my thought process.
Gonna be a long day!

Sent from my iPhone

I got quite a major gig on Thursday so I'll not have time to goof around until after then…

ahhhhhh.. ! ! ! I hate waiting for stuff…. I want to play now… lmao

exactly. in this example, the min/max settings were chosen to create that clean/dirty amp. they can be anything to create a slightly dirty, very dirty or whatever.

So in the Control Menu, If the Scene is set to 100%, the Max value of Modifier Screen is used and if the Scene is set to 0% in in Control Menu, the Min Value in Modifier Screen is used?
I've got it working now by setting Min at 0% and Max at 100%, then in Control Menu setting % of Effect I want.
Still not clear on this. Gonna be back in front of Axe in 30 min, so I'll keep working on it.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom