More punch ("oomphf") from an FRFR monitor: Proximity and 5-Band Passive GEQ

Hey Guys - great tip thank you Yek!

Biggness - I am an old guy playing in my home studio for fun, but fun includes moving air sometimes, plus I am just curious. How doyou add a sub? I have 2 FRFR cabs that I play through. How would I add a sub to that setup?

Thanks

Joe

I totally agree that chugging some riffs with the equivalent of multiple 4x12 cabs is a blast. Even better, two guitarists and a drummer jammin some old-style metal riffs. No bass player required. :p

I may be the only Metallica fan who liked them better with passive pickups and Marshalls,
versus EMGs and Mesa Boogies. ;)

No subs on stage dammit!! ;)

Played with a drummer who loved his sub on stage and our stage sound
was MUD to the point that there were times when playing that I could not
distinguish anything amongst the kick drum, bass, and my guitar. Hated it!

With much prodding and begging and pleading we got him to move it off
stage and to where it should have been in the first place.

Edit: I still don't get where this notion started amongst a generation or more of
guitar players where they think they need all this low-end to have good tone. Blech!
A big low end sounds great on its own, how many guitarists play most of the time. Thus, many think this is the tone they want in the mix/live, because that's "their tone."

Just because it sounds good by itself does not mean it sounds good together!

I've been oomphfing with the CAB Proximity for ages, but I've never realized that it has a frequency parameter 😅
So yeah, default must be good

it is. Default delivers the punch. I see no need for an additional sub when you have good quality monitors.

Biggness - I am an old guy playing in my home studio for fun, but fun includes moving air sometimes, plus I am just curious. How doyou add a sub? I have 2 FRFR cabs that I play through. How would I add a sub to that setup?

Thanks

Joe

A lot of frfr have dedicated sub outputs, or just additional outputs to let you pass the audio further along the signal chain

most decent subs also have their own inputs, crossovers, and outputs so you can send a signal to them first then pass everything above say 100hz to your frfr, letting the sub handle the low bass

it is. Default delivers the punch. I see no need for an additional sub when you have good quality monitors.

I do not use it for monitor punch, I use it at my DAW recordings with certain IRs, when it sits well at the mix. It adds body to the solos

Thanks

Joe
I use this one, which you just run into out of the axe fx via XLR, then out of the sub INTO your FRFR cabs via XLR.

Sounds phenomenal.

https://www.qsc.com/solutions-products/loudspeakers/portable/powered/subwoofers/ks-series/ks212c/

I have good quality monitors.

A sub just makes things better. Especially with effects such as synth and pitch shifting.

Back
Top Bottom