More punch ("oomphf") from an FRFR monitor: Proximity and 5-Band Passive GEQ

Turn up proximity* , so this is emulating being closer to the cab( frfr) and the slider is bumping up the mids? Which always cuts more with guitars?

I jacked up the Q on the shelving lowpass in a PEQ output EQ to good effect for adding oomph on output 2. Will have to poke at the proximity and see what that yields when I get back....

To me the proximity patameter is the easiest trick to get an IR more 4x12-ish, if that makes any sense.
It adds the typical behavior of a 4x12, and that means a wanted sound for the player and problems for the tech when trying to fit that guitar in the mix. So add it carefully. It could get too much even though you love it.

To me the proximity patameter is the easiest trick to get an IR more 4x12-ish, if that makes any sense.
It adds the typical behavior of a 4x12, and that means a wanted sound for the player and problems for the tech when trying to fit that guitar in the mix. So add it carefully. It could get too much even though you love it.

Yep. The soundguy can filter it out though.

Turn up proximity* , so this is emulating being closer to the cab( frfr) and the slider is bumping up the mids? Which always cuts more with guitars?
it's mic distance from the cab. turning it up moves the "mic" further away, picking up more low end thump.

it's mic distance from the cab. turning it up moves the "mic" further away, picking up more low end thump.
Thanks for the information, helpful! Now mr advocate here.. moving the mic further away in reality would mean it's not going to be as loud? Perhaps it would determine which mic being used. It's cool to have the option regardless. thanks

Good tip.

I've been saying for years:

Add a sub to your FRFR.

It moves air. You feel it. It's fun. And your soundguy doesn't want those frequencies anyways.

Good tip.

I've been saying for years:

Add a sub to your FRFR.

It moves air. You feel it. It's fun. And your soundguy doesn't want those frequencies anyways.
Unless you're playing a stadium no sound guy will like a guitar sub on stage. Just sayin.

I've seen Lincoln Brewster live a couple times, and he is one who likes a ton of guitar bass on stage so he feels it, and I can tell you from the audience perspective, if you are in the first 1/3 of the audience your mix is muddy.

Unless you're playing a stadium no sound guy will like a guitar sub on stage. Just sayin.

I've seen Lincoln Brewster live a couple times, and he is one who likes a ton of guitar bass on stage so he feels it, and I can tell you from the audience perspective, if you are in the first 1/3 of the audience your mix is muddy.
No subs on stage dammit!! ;)

Played with a drummer who loved his sub on stage and our stage sound
was MUD to the point that there were times when playing that I could not
distinguish anything amongst the kick drum, bass, and my guitar. Hated it!

With much prodding and begging and pleading we got him to move it off
stage and to where it should have been in the first place.

Edit: I still don't get where this notion started amongst a generation or more of
guitar players where they think they need all this low-end to have good tone. Blech!

Back
Top Bottom