Closed More presets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people want access to every preset possible. People want up to 2000 presets if they could.

How you would access those and remember them all, I have no idea.

I would dare to say the Axe series these days are meant to be used in tandem with a computer for certain things. Preset organization and loading/offloading would be one of those, when necessary.

But on almost any device I’ve ever used my entire music career I’ve really only used 5 presets at most. It’s just my approach to simplify things at the gig. I can understand a show setup where you just step through sounds all night in order, but I can’t imagine needing more than 512 for that.
Your response is a typical one but it doesn’t account for hobby players like me. I play based on my mood. I love U2 and Pink Floyd so have an entire bank of presets just for them. But quite often I want to play the Police or just metal or reggae or jazz, blues etc. My banks fill up quick and it kills me to lose factory presets too. Due to this I would love thousands of options sitting there for me versus having to find the patch on my computer and likely having to tweak it. Chances are that great patches will sit forever in a data grave yard.

Anyways as someone said first world problems but two or three more banks would be much appreciated.

versus having to find the patch on my computer and likely having to tweak it.
glad i'm typical.

why wouldn't you have to tweak a preset that's on your Axe vs one on the computer? i meant keeping a collection of your presets on the computer. i didn't mean searching for one every single time.

more is more, and more is sometimes better. but once we get 1024 presets, we'll want 2048. i'm all for wishes, but at some point we need to use what we have and think of strategies for that. i'm just presenting what we can do now.

With the power of channels and scenes you can cover most artists catalogs with a single preset, or two.

Gilmour pretty much uses one amp for a full show, kicking in different drives, flanger, delay times etc, but all that can be done with scenes or channel changes within a preset.

I mean heck, you can essentially have 8 amp channels per preset, so its like 8 rigs within each preset.

You could maybe do an early and late era Floyd presets, and that would still be a ton of unique tones with just 2 presets.

Look at Austin Buddy’s 1000 tones collection, is it using 1000 presets ? Not at all.

Just need to get away from thinking of each preset as a separate tone, and instead of a preset as a collection of tones, or complete rigs even.

512 presets with 8 scenes/channels is over 4000 unique tones, and then if you start manually turning effects on/off it only goes up from there.

Just need to get away from thinking of each preset as a separate tone, and instead of a preset as a collection of tones, or complete rigs even.

512 presets with 8 scenes/channels is over 4000 unique tones, and then if you start manually turning effects on/off it only goes up from there.

Everyone has its own way of creating and organizing sounds / presets.

I download some from the forum once in as while and I certainly won't bother to integrate them in a single preset.

For my band, I keep a separate preset for each song. Why? Because it lets me set the tempo for that song, because I can use named scenes specific for that song and it lets me automatically turn to the correct song on my iPad. We've got about 100 songs.

I also need to keep factory presets on the device for beta testing.

I also like to keep some of Buddy's presets on the device, and other's.

I also have a library of "Drive block" presets, ready to be released with the next edition of the Drive Guide.

I also keep a library of general usage presets rather on the device than offline.

So yes, I would welcome an expansion of preset slots. :)

You are missing the point that if the Axe FX 3 can handle more presets then please sir can I have some more. I am fully aware of what a preset is capable of. I waste enough time fooling around that I don’t have time (choose not to have time) to be moving parts of other great presets to other presets.

If I’m told the Axe can’t handle more then I will request it for the Axe FX IV. I would prefer more presets over more cab slots.

I download some from the forum once in as while and I certainly won't bother to integrate them in a single preset.

For my band, I keep a separate preset for each song. Why? Because it lets me set the tempo for that song, because I can use named scenes specific for that song and it lets me automatically turn to the correct song on my iPad. We've got about 100 songs.

I also have a library of "Drive block" presets, ready to be released with the next edition of the Drive Guide.

I also keep a library of general usage presets rather on the device than offline.

What Yek said too!! Very well said!!

^^^^^^^^ This !

To those who argue there’s no need , I suppose. One could say there’s no need in having so many deep editing tools at our disposal , or so many banks for IRs as well. I’m sure at least one person here would argue we don’t need the authentic amp and drive controls too , but I’m glad to have them all.
I’d like to keep the factory presets original and unaltered on the unit at all times , and still have room for AB’s presets , or Mokes , or Fremen , or from random users who post , plus combinations of my own.

If this is something that can be done easily , I say BRING IT ON !
If not , then keep it as-is.
I know there are great presets that end up forgotten and neglected because of the number of unavailable slots. Most of the time , it ends up being the factory presets.

If this is something that can be done easily
i think this is an important point. and this comes up often.

there are wishes made. endless wishes. there can always be another wish. there's always something that people want. and that's a good thing. it truly is.

some of us chime in with either current solutions to the issue, or thoughts about why - from our experience - the idea has a low probability of happening. personally, i'm always happy to be proven wrong. but certain realities exist, those of us who chime in are typically on the Beta Team... also personally, i am usually trying to get more information about the wish, as many specifics as possible, so it's much easier for the Devs to implement it quickly.

again, most of us are just speaking realistically. and we've seen recently - especially with the Axe-Fx III - that if it's easy enough, Cliff has given it to us almost immediately.

so consider that we're truly trying to help, even if we seem opposed to the idea. if Cliff can make the wish happen, he will regardless what any of us say.

Next up. Austin Buddies 1024 naked amps and tones collection.

...followed by WISH: 2048 preset slots. :D

It's truly amazing how far everything has progressed from the Standard/Ultra days and how much fun and educational that ride has been.

Your response is a typical one but it doesn’t account for hobby players like me. I play based on my mood. I love U2 and Pink Floyd so have an entire bank of presets just for them. But quite often I want to play the Police or just metal or reggae or jazz, blues etc. My banks fill up quick and it kills me to lose factory presets too. Due to this I would love thousands of options sitting there for me versus having to find the patch on my computer and likely having to tweak it. Chances are that great patches will sit forever in a data grave yard.

Anyways as someone said first world problems but two or three more banks would be much appreciated.

I agree with this. Just loading a bunch of Pink Floyd presets could take up 20+ slots. Yes, it is possible to go in a prune a lot of the factory sets, and even the Austin Buddy presets. There are a lot of both I won't use, but with a firmware update like we just got, it would be nice if I could go back through the factory presets, without having to wipe a ton of others. I would definitely vote for more if it's possible.

If someone would like to have more presets, I really don't understand why so many people put up so many arguments against it.
You don't HAVE to use all the presets, so why do you care at all?...unless it will be at the cost of 10 amps and 20 new effects, which only Cliff knows ;)

If someone would like to have more presets, I really don't understand why so many people put up so many arguments against it.
You don't HAVE to use all the presets, so why do you care at all?...unless it will be at the cost of 10 amps and 20 new effects, which only Cliff knows ;)
I can’t find the quote, but he did state something like that.

I don’t think anyone is against more, unless it takes away other features. People are merely pointing out that with scenes and/or channels you do in fact have over 4,000 unique amp rigs with the existing memory, as is.

Before scenes each preset was basically one tone. Then we got scenes and you could do x/y or run dual blocks and that made one preset more versatile, then we got channels and scenes and now one preset can have up to 8 unique amp models, so one preset has gotten to be 8x as flexible as back in the early days where it was one preset per tone.

If more can be added, cool, if not, well then people might need to change their way of thinking/working.

If the III is your first unit, then scenes within presets will seem natural, if your used to one preset per tone, and you’ve done it that way since the ultra, you might not like the new way of working.

Hopefully both options are possible, but if not, then it’s either deal with ‘just’ 512 or start combining some with the scenes and channels.

I used to do 1 preset per tone. Did it for years, now I love the scenes and channels functions, and I use one preset per style or artist etc. Just makes way more sense to me and easy to organize etc.

I want Floyd, I call up the Floyd preset and I’ve got a bunch of tones to choose from. This works better to me than trying to arrange presets in order, having to scroll through looking for stuff etc. it’s just a bit of a more streamlined system.

It’s like having 1000 random files in one folder, or 100 files each sorted into 10 folders. What is going to make it easier to find soemthing ?

The issue isn’t that at all. We buy preset packs or download presets from other users. Nobody wants to take the time to combine presets at that point. Yek makes a great point of needing presets per song as well and don’t forget getting rid of factory patches is something we all would love to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom