Closed More presets

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think we were told more presets will take away space for more features in the future. it's a trade-off situation.

I understand your wish. I have @austinbuddy 's presets, too. They, along with some choice factory presets that offer creative use of effects, are sounds that i like to have available wherever I go, whether there's a computer around or not. Here's how I work around that limitation:

- Presets 128 and up are my library of Naked and factory tones.

- Presets 100 to 128 are my landing zone for presets I'm working on.

- Presets 50-99 are my personal working presets.

- Presets 0-20 are where I arrange presets for the upcoming gig.

Still, it would be nice to have a couple of hundred more slots. Not necessary, but nice.

I feel like the unit doesn't need more presets, per se, but maybe a better way of organizing and accessing would be great. I feel like even 512 presets is more than I'd ever need in my life - I'd spend more time tweaking and auditioning than I would actually playing lol!

I like Rex's idea ^^

I want to try Austinbuddy's presets at some point :)

“Problem” with tons of presets is they kind of “expire” as the modeling changes.

I’ve got probably 2000+ on my hard drive, but, some are like Axe II firmware 7, and don’t sound remotely right on newer firmware, much less transferred to the III

So even if I could go and have those 2000 all on my III, to what benefit would they really be ?

Realistically could I ever go through that many old presets and tweak them all to the latest firmware ?

It’s like Ir’s, I’ve probably got 100,000. I have cab packs I’ve never even unzipped lol. Realistically never going to either, just don’t have the time, newer stuff has come out etc.

“Problem” with tons of presets is they kind of “expire” as the modeling changes.

I’ve got probably 2000+ on my hard drive, but, some are like Axe II firmware 7, and don’t sound remotely right on newer firmware, much less transferred to the III

So even if I could go and have those 2000 all on my III, to what benefit would they really be ?

Realistically could I ever go through that many old presets and tweak them all to the latest firmware ?

It’s like Ir’s, I’ve probably got 100,000. I have cab packs I’ve never even unzipped lol. Realistically never going to either, just don’t have the time, newer stuff has come out etc.

Yeah...totally true. Many presets "expire" with new firmware, except from the keepers which you tweak to fit the new firmware versions.
It's just a matter of having a bigger sandbox to play in. Some would use the space, some would not.
But if it comes down to the choice between more presets and new features I would of course go for the new features :)

Cheers

I’ve got probably 2000+ on my hard drive...Realistically could I ever go through that many old presets and tweak them all to the latest firmware ?

I have 800 pages in my dictionary. But it’s an organized library of information. Realistically, I’ll never read a tenth of those pages, but I’m glad they’re all there. Even the pages with old, obscure words that aren’t used anymore.

And just like last year’s phone book (remember phone books?), the 300,000 numbers in it will be replaced by the 300,000 numbers in the new book.

I have 800 pages in my dictionary. But it’s an organized library of information. Realistically, I’ll never read a tenth of those pages, but I’m glad they’re all there. Even the pages with old, obscure words that aren’t used anymore.

And just like last year’s phone book (remember phone books?), the 300,000 numbers in it will be replaced by the 300,000 numbers in the new book.

See but there is the rub... organization

If we simply had like 4 banks of 512 presets, how do you realistically manage that ?

On my computer, I have all those presets in different folders and sub folders. I have one of Floyd patches for example. I can then have a folder of updated versions I tweaked etc, and it’s all logically laid out

For this reason, I think the PC is the environment best suited for mass storage and manage of files.

Even if the III has more room, without order it wouldn’t be too useful. Like if your dictionary was 800 pages of random words. How do you remember the word you wanted was on page 37 and not 419?

Now if the III can have some means of improved organization more may make more sense, BUT, if that storage and organization mean less resources for new features, then it’s a bit of a different story, at least for me

3 amp blocks or 500 more presets ? Extra amp block all the way!

Well...we can talk all night about the right way to organize things, but everybody has their own way. I like the Rex-way tho.
I'm the kinda guy who has a sweet organized apartment and a huge messy room filled with junk in the basement. More preset slots would just fill up my "basement"....but I love to have my junk by hand... without involving my computer :)
Maybe it's just my personal wish, but more preset slots would be nice for me and for the more organized people it wouldn't make a difference :)

Cheers

On my computer, I have all those presets in different folders and sub folders. I have one of Floyd patches for example. I can then have a folder of updated versions I tweaked etc, and it’s all logically laid out

For this reason, I think the PC is the environment best suited for mass storage and manage of files.
Yes, the computer is the best choice for organized storage. But all that falls apart when there’s no computer available or connected.

Yes, organization can be a bear in a structure without branches. Yet I’ve been able to use my three-bank library effectively.

3 amp blocks or 500 more presets ? Extra amp block all the way!
This is a choice? Your source for this info?

This is one of the biggest issues I have with people who release presets - Helix, Kemper, Axe, whatever. They include a TON of presets to add value to the package and make purchase an easy decision, however, rarely will they revisit these and update them with the newest firmware changes in mind. Like, for instance, Helix had a major overhaul to its reverb algos last update. Did the people I purchased presets from send me an email letting me know that updated patches could be downloaded? Nope. Sure, i could go through 60 patches and adjsut reverb mix levels, but I would expect this should be part of the service.

In any case, I think even 528 presets is an absolutely insane number of presets. I just wish there were a better way to organize them; tag them; add them to setlists; something. It's really not a big deal since I only use a few, but I can see how crazy it'd get if I even had 50 that I used on a semi-regular basis (how do you really use more than a couple presets "regularly"?). Anyway, just my 2c.

Back in the early days of synths/midi devices that could store presets, where preset storage was at a premium on the device ( like 128 slots) There were computer based Editor/Librarians where you could do a deep dive edit of a preset in the editor. You would use the librarian to organize all of your presets on the PC with folders/directories etc. Then in the Librarian you could create banks of presets and transfer them in one command back and forth to the device. I remember tweaking my banks based on set lists prior to going to play a gig to make it easy to step thru patches during the gig etc.

With AxeEdit we have the editor for patch editing and can arrange/copy/load from PC patches on the device, what might be cool would be an integrated librarian that could access a hard drive/cloud based storage and allow us to drag/drop patches in and out of virtual banks and transfer them to/from the axe/FX . Just thinking out loud ....

what might be cool would be an integrated librarian that could access a hard drive/cloud based storage and allow us to drag/drop patches in and out of virtual banks and transfer them to/from the axe/FX . Just thinking out loud ....
Yes! With user customizable banks - like if I only want 4 presets in one bank, cool; 13 in another? Then you could view all your presets by either the current method (000-511) or through your custom view (banks). I don't think the Axe needs more presets - there is just a lot that can be done to make the ones already there more user-friendly, accessible, and organized. I'm sure we'll see some improvements to this area at some point. Seems most of the updates lately are about bug fixes and feature tweaking.

Yes, the computer is the best choice for organized storage. But all that falls apart when there’s no computer available or connected.

Yes, organization can be a bear in a structure without branches. Yet I’ve been able to use my three-bank library effectively.

This is a choice? Your source for this info?

Your taking my quote out of context. I did not say it WAS a choice, I said "BUT, if that storage and organization mean less resources for new features, then it’s a bit of a different story, at least for me

3 amp blocks or 500 more presets ? Extra amp block all the way!"

"IF" being the key word.... and that was based upon Chris saying "i think we were told more presets will take away space for more features in the future. it's a trade-off situation."

So again, I'd be more than happy with some extra storage space, unless that does mean giving up other resources. I don't know if that is the case or not, but if it really does, then my choice would be save that resource for other things, not more presents

Many people want access to every preset possible. People want up to 2000 presets if they could.

How you would access those and remember them all, I have no idea.

I would dare to say the Axe series these days are meant to be used in tandem with a computer for certain things. Preset organization and loading/offloading would be one of those, when necessary.

But on almost any device I’ve ever used my entire music career I’ve really only used 5 presets at most. It’s just my approach to simplify things at the gig. I can understand a show setup where you just step through sounds all night in order, but I can’t imagine needing more than 512 for that.

I’d be happy to be able to copy a whole scene and paste it in another preset.
I don’t think that it’s actually possible.

I’d be happy to be able to copy a whole scene and paste it in another preset.
I don’t think that it’s actually possible.
It’s not. A Scene is not a Preset. The blocks won’t magically reorganize with the existing preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom