• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Wish More points in Tonematch block

Clive

Experienced
The Axe FX computes EQ curves with 1024 points in the Fourier domain.
I assume that the Axe FX uses some Cooley-Tukey algorithm to compute the FFT because 1024 = 2^10.

If the Axe FX was able to compute with 8192 ( = 2^13) points (or more), it would be cool because the TM block would be more accurate, especially in the low range frequency.

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
It actually computes 8K points but the preset size is too small to save this many points. 8K samples would also increase the CPU usage of the block to unacceptable levels.

BillyZeppa

Power User
Cliff Chase, limited only by hardware... You rock!
That's true but it might not be much of a limitation.
It's quite possible that 8k is not perceptively different to the ear than 2k... That's two thousand and forty-eight samples over about ten octaves, or about two hundred points over each octave, so it's my guess that it wouldn't make a perceptively significant difference.

flying_walrus

Experienced
That's two thousand and forty-eight samples over about ten octaves, or about two hundred points over each octave
Perhaps it's not evenly distributed across the frequencies. Perhaps Cliff is calculating 8k samples and then saving the 1k most significant ones; the ones that actually impact your tone.

Clive

Experienced
It actually computes 8K points but the preset size is too small to save this many points. 8K samples would also increase the CPU usage of the block to unacceptable levels.
Thank you Cliff for your answer.

I've just read the Release Notes file :

Release Notes said:
If the Global IR Capture Mode is set to UltraRes the exported Tone Match will be an UltraRes IR ONLY if the Tone Match Mode parameter is set to Live. Note that the Tone Match block itself does not support UltraRes processing and, therefore, the Tone Match must be exported to a user IR if UltraRes processing is desired.
If I understand correctly, I can have 8K points but I'll have to export immediatly after having done the tonematch and use the resulting IR (user cab) with a cab block. BUT, if I save the preset, the datas will be partially lost and I'll have 1K points even if I export to a user cab, that's it ?

BillyZeppa

Power User
Perhaps it's not evenly distributed across the frequencies. Perhaps Cliff is calculating 8k samples and then saving the 1k most significant ones; the ones that actually impact your tone.
Sorry - please disregard my previous posts on this thread - i was confused about the subject - thought is was about another factor. :stupid:

Top Bottom