More fuzz rock - Cameron Big Muff Micro Boost stuffs - Preset included

shaunb

Experienced
This is a short idea I used to test a couple of variations within a new preset I put together.

I used the Cameron CCV 1A amp model with the Pi Fuzz Op-Amp and a Micro boost into a 50/50 blend of ML Zilla All Mix and ML Brit PR75 SM57-M160 01 (CP20).

I did two versions of the signal chain, I'd be interested to see what you guys like better.
I've included the preset for you to have if you like it.
EDIT: I've added a third version below combing my two favourite sets of tones from each.

Version 1.
This uses scenes 1 and 2 which is the Pi Fuzz into the amp with two passes using my bridge humbucker then two more passes with the bridge pickup split to a single coil for some tonal variation.

Version 2.
This version uses scenes 3,4,5 &6 which incorporate both the Pi Fuzz and the Micro Boost driver models.
Two passes (scenes 3 & 4) with the Micro Boost in front of the Pi Fuzz, then two more passes (scenes 5 & 6) with the Pi Fuzz in front of the Micro Boost.

I feel like version 1 is brighter and crisper sounding, but the slightly darker, uglier tone of version 2 maybe has a more interesting character for my taste.

EDIT:
Here's a third go combining my favourite tone sets from the previous two.
Scenes 1&2 (Pi Fuzz->Amp->Cab)
Scenes 5&6 (Micro Boost->Pi Fuzz->Amp->Cab)

This might be my favourite blend. It combines the brightest tones in the preset with the darkest, so I guess it covers more ground.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Cameron OP Amp Muff Q9 PRS.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'd agree man, the second version sounds a bit gruntier and less buzzy than the first one, however, the first one in context of a mix doesn't sound bad :)

I'd agree man, the second version sounds a bit gruntier and less buzzy than the first one, however, the first one in context of a mix doesn't sound bad :)

Cheers Judd.
Starting to think the two main guitars in version 1 and the two main guitars in version 2 might sound good together. The best of both, then it would be bright on top with the warmer low end underneath.

I'm going to give that a try actually.

Last edited:
This is where muff lovers unite! (I had to)

The blend seems to be crunchier maybe? They're very close. I love how they all sound! QOTSA??

The blend seems to be crunchier maybe? They're very close. I love how they all sound! QOTSA??

Yeah, I think version 3 is the one. It feels like the most balanced but still a bit aggressive.

I did actually have a "Songs For The Deaf" era QOTSA vibe in mind when I wrote it. Well spotted.

V3 is getting a bit more fuzzy "grind" coming through and my preference. First tracks sounded very good, and a great tone, but sounded a bit more of a pushed hard amp-like grind, ala a HM2 tone. Again, a great tone, but maybe not quite an op-amp muff tone, if that is what your going for.

I think the fuzz tone is being a bit too smoothed out by the amp distortion though and maybe a little cleaner amp settings might add a more aggressive fuzz tone. I've found when layering tracks with an op-amp muff that what sounds almost too harsh and fizzy in a single take layers up nicely to smooth things out and thicken up to the track into that wall of fuzz sound the Pumpkins used to get with the op-amp muff and lots of layering.

Still great track overall

V3 is getting a bit more fuzzy "grind" coming through and my preference. First tracks sounded very good, and a great tone, but sounded a bit more of a pushed hard amp-like grind, ala a HM2 tone. Again, a great tone, but maybe not quite an op-amp muff tone, if that is what your going for.

I think the fuzz tone is being a bit too smoothed out by the amp distortion though and maybe a little cleaner amp settings might add a more aggressive fuzz tone. I've found when layering tracks with an op-amp muff that what sounds almost too harsh and fizzy in a single take layers up nicely to smooth things out and thicken up to the track into that wall of fuzz sound the Pumpkins used to get with the op-amp muff and lots of layering.

Still great track overall

I didn't really have an outcome in mind with this preset, I was just playing around with some different combinations to see if something sounded interesting.

You're right, this sort of sits somewhere between a Fuzz tone and a driven amp tone. But I like that in certain applications.

This preset was a kind of response to one I did a few days earlier where I ran a Muff into a JTM45 and went crazy on the mids in the drive block just to see what would happen. Then this preset pulls pack from that idea a bit.

Here's the first one.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...included-muffy-christmas.133675/#post-1582877

Was gonna point this out, especially in that lead. my favorite is 2 just because of where the mids are situated and how it fills out the mix but theyre all really rad sounding

Back
Top Bottom