Wish More Boost types @ "Amp - Preamp - Input Boost"

It would be nice to have same options as the drive block.
Why?

The drive block is one of the highest-cost CPU uses in a preset. Embedding it into the amp block would add that additional CPU overhead to it. The purpose of the boost inside the amp block having the tonal characteristics of the drive is it can be done with very little additional cost for those people who only use the drive as a boost. So why undo that benefit?

See page 10 of Yek’s Guide To The Amp Blocks for the CPU overhead this would add.

Last edited:
Why?

The drive block is one of the highest-cost CPU uses in a preset. Embedding it into the amp block would add that additional CPU overhead to it. The purpose of the boost inside the amp block having the tonal characteristics of the drive is it can be done with very little additional cost for those people who only use the drive as a boost. So why undo that benefit?

I took that to mean adding additional types from the drive block to the input boost, rather than adding the entire drive block. I agree that adding the drive block into the amp block isn’t a realistic request, but more input boost types would definitely be a useful addition. For me, I often use the KOT block as a clean boost, but it’s not an option in the input boost, so I end up using the drive block at the cost of ~9% of the CPU. I’m not sure how useful it would be to have, say, the Rat variants as boost types, since that’s not really how they’re used, but I think that a lot of people would get some mileage from having more of the low gain overdrives (KOT, Bluesbreaker, Micro Boost, etc.) that are often used as clean boosts as options in the input boost section.

I agree more boost types would make a fantastic design even better.

Would mean less use of separate drives and could lead to less CPU usage where no drive is employed.

That's interesting, thanks. So the input boost is a clean boost with various EQ shapes that replicate the specific drives?
Correctly. You can make your own inside the amp block. Use the input EQ to set the flavour, and then the amount with input trim. Granted, you can't turn it off via midi, but it's a useful feature nonetheless.

Yes. Check out your Amp block. You won't see any other settings for that.

I believe it's equivalent to running said Drive model with Drive set to 0.
Sorta. It's just the frequency curve. It doesn't take into account that some pedals still have noticeable amounts of distortion with the gain at 0, or that some have a clean path (tubescreamers).

All this is most interesting, but it seems to me that the interactivity between the input boost in the amp block and whatever amp is selected does affect EQ. Big difference between the CC and Shred options for example.

Yes, that's what I was curious about. Some of the input boost flavors appear to create different gain structures as opposed to the neutral boost which is why I was curious what a Fuzz boost would do if anything. Maybe I'm imaging it.
If you are ever using the neutral boost and don't need to switch it on/off, I would just use the input trim. Saves a bit of CPU. (Random tip, I know).

All this is most interesting, but it seems to me that the interactivity between the input boost in the amp block and whatever amp is selected does affect EQ. Big difference between the CC and Shred options for example.
Which is what was stated above... It reflects the frequency response of the particular drive type.

This is exactly what the OP meant.

I love the Input Boost I use it all the time now and barely touch the drives. I attach it to a control switch and its fantastic, what a great option.
Been experimenting more and more with these to increase dirt and volume without a post amp/cab volume boost. For lower gain lead stuff, it works nicely for clean -> mean (just like IRL) if you set the amp up right, and takes away the volume concerns thanks to being a model instead of the real deal. CS Per Scene even lets the box switch it on for me automagically when switching scenes while still having full manual control via the CS footswitch.... :)

More flavors would always be welcome, of course....

RCB Boost was added in FW18.00
I hope Cliff add some more, it's not necessary to add all
But I would like:
  • Horizon Precision Drive
  • Maxoff 808
  • OD 250
  • Micro boost

I know Horizon/Maxoff is based on same chip as T808 but there's something in the eq/respons that differs them.

RCB Boost was added in FW18.00
I hope Cliff add some more, it's not necessary to add all
But I would like:
  • Horizon Precision Drive
  • Maxoff 808
  • OD 250
  • Micro boost

I know Horizon/Maxoff is based on same chip as T808 but there's something in the eq/respons that differs them.
There's a micro boost in the drive block that works well.

Never really understood why the Micro Amp wasn’t there already, seeing as it’s a single dial pedal, so that’s a +1 from me.

This is exactly what the OP meant.

I love the Input Boost I use it all the time now and barely touch the drives. I attach it to a control switch and its fantastic, what a great option.

+1 i'm the same way, having it in the amp block linked to the channel is easier than a drive block in front messing with scenes

Back
Top Bottom