More AX8 Live Action

Love the attention to detail man - I play this song too and I just think that there are some songs that if you're going to cover them, you should try to go as note-for-note as possible - for example, the first two solo's. Those are solos that 'regular' people can pretty much hum in their heads, and that they expect to hear (you know, like EVERY Journey solo!) and it's nice to hear a guitar player give that to them. Real nice work brother.

Love the attention to detail man - I play this song too and I just think that there are some songs that if you're going to cover them, you should try to go as note-for-note as possible - for example, the first two solo's. Those are solos that 'regular' people can pretty much hum in their heads, and that they expect to hear (you know, like EVERY Journey solo!) and it's nice to hear a guitar player give that to them. Real nice work brother.

I totally disagree... It's the way how bands add something of themselves to covers that distinguish them from any other band playing the same songs.

I totally disagree... It's the way how bands add something of themselves to covers that distinguish them from any other band playing the same songs.
Definitely a valid opinion - I don't do everything note for note, even in this song - like that third solo is in the same key but definitely not note for note to Slash when we do it live - but the first two, I do like to keep those close to the recording for people because I think they are looking to hear them. And it depends too - like for those first two, if someone wants to play them with the same feeling but not note for note, it's cool - but I just don't like when guys have a solo like that and then go all Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman on it.

Definitely a valid opinion - I don't do everything note for note, even in this song - like that third solo is in the same key but definitely not note for note to Slash when we do it live - but the first two, I do like to keep those close to the recording for people because I think they are looking to hear them. And it depends too - like for those first two, if someone wants to play them with the same feeling but not note for note, it's cool - but I just don't like when guys have a solo like that and then go all Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman on it.
That was definitely me playing covers when I was younger; "no vocals, time to shred!". Similarly, it's one of the few solos iconic enough to deserve an accurate treatment IMO.

Nice job! Posting up a vid of doing this song on a guitarist forum is the definition of bold! Nobody else will have micro-memorized every bit of it to hear the differences ;)

I wouldn't have thought of that amp, but definitely gives it a more metal edge to it.

I like it when a solo pays sufficient homage to the original to establish credibility, and then takes it from there with little twists or new flavors mixed in to make you feel like you got your money's worth to go see it live. Otherwise just listen to the iPod to hear exact note-for-note!

Nice job! Posting up a vid of doing this song on a guitarist forum is the definition of bold! Nobody else will have micro-memorized every bit of it to hear the differences ;)

I wouldn't have thought of that amp, but definitely gives it a more metal edge to it.

I like it when a solo pays sufficient homage to the original to establish credibility, and then takes it from there with little twists or new flavors mixed in to make you feel like you got your money's worth to go see it live. Otherwise just listen to the iPod to hear exact note-for-note!

One of the great things in this forum is that the majority of users are constructive with any feedback ;)

I use that amp for the whole set, using a scene controller to vary the input gain. We play a lot of late 80's and early 90's rock covers so it cleans up just enough for the mellower numbers and gets nice and juicy for G'n'R, Metallica and the like. I modified my main preset I use for original shows and tamed the gain and it seems to do the job fine; since we're not a tribute act I don't feel the need to mimic tones exactly, i just go for a consistent amp like tone for the whole show.

Back
Top Bottom