Wish More amp-in-a-box pedals!

Mark L.

Inspired
Since we don't get amp and cab modeling, how about more amp-like overdrive pedals as a compromise?

Wampler Triplewreck
Bogner Ecstacy Blue
Radial Plexitube

Just to name a few of mine that I'm keeping in my rig, unless they get modeled in the FX8, and sound good.

What other ones would you guys like?

I'd like to big +1 this.... part of the reason I went this route over the Helix is that I was pretty unimpressed with the Helix pedals, and that's how I'm used to working... pedals into a relatively clean amp...

Some amazing pedals I'd love to see are:

Himmelstrutz C'Luxe

Menatone Top Boost in a Can
JHS Superbolt

Saying that, I'd actually just love a lot more drive pedals, and I'd REALLY love a few other type of pedals, especially really unique things like:

Carolina Guitar Company Wave Cannon
Hexe Revolver

And I'd be set for ever with:

All the Buffalo FX stuff ;) - Especially the Patriot and the 18v Coloursound clone
Noel Cornet

/greedy

Although you guys are probably right that a number of users would use something like this, I still really want them to focus on more and better fuzz before any other drive.

Better fuzz pedals would be useful on all of their products.

I think a lot of these amp in a box circuits are built off of distortion circuits that already exist in the FX eight. It's some kind of transistor clipping. I have a block based off the rat that I have tweaked to sound to my ears like a plexi in a box.

I find most of the game blocks if you start with the gain under one and play with the low-cut and high cut you can really find those amp like sounds.

I'll post some of mine in this thread later.

Although you guys are probably right that a number of users would use something like this, I still really want them to focus on more and better fuzz before any other drive.

Better fuzz pedals would be useful on all of their products.

I think a lot of these amp in a box circuits are built off of distortion circuits that already exist in the FX eight. It's some kind of transistor clipping. I have a block based off the rat that I have tweaked to sound to my ears like a plexi in a box.

I find most of the game blocks if you start with the gain under one and play with the low-cut and high cut you can really find those amp like sounds.

I'll post some of mine in this thread later.

I TOTALLY agree! I don't find the "fuzz face" model to be anything like my real fuzz face. The main problem: IT DOES NOT CLEAN UP AT ALL LIKE A REAL FUZZ FACE. The interaction with guitar volume is, in my opinion, an absolutely essential characteristic of a fuzz face. Maybe I haven't set it up right?

The reason for my request for amp-in-a-box pedals is to work toward eliminating the other pedals on my board. It would be ideal to be able to rely solely on the FX8 and a couple expression pedals. But I really doubt that will ever happen, since I'm such an overdrive junkie. :D

I'm really interested in the settings you're using!

Well, I guess that explains it. But, can it be improved, either by software design (firmware update), or making due with parameter setting currently on hand? It's not clear what I can do with the currently available parameters. I'm new to this game, have only had my FX8 for a week or so, and it's a whole new world I need to learn how to navigate.

Well, I guess that explains it. But, can it be improved, either by software design (firmware update), or making due with parameter setting currently on hand? It's not clear what I can do with the currently available parameters. I'm new to this game, have only had my FX8 for a week or so, and it's a whole new world I need to learn how to navigate.

Can you tweak the settings to get the rolled back sound? If so could you just have a scene with the rolled back sound?

I personally think the cranked up fuzz sounds are pretty amazing. But then again I don't like most abrasive fuzz sounds. Then again again I've owned dozens of fuzzes.

I just never roll down my volume to change sounds. :)

Oh and can it be improved? Absolutely! Will it be is a whole other question!

If I want Hendrix tone, I play my strat, volume rolled back to about 8-ish, into my fuzz face, then into either my OCD, similar pedal, or amp set to a slight grinding overdrive. That's an excellent grinding rhythm tone (especially on the neck pickup with my Vibe Machine), then twist up the volume on the guitar for in-your-face spitting fuzz. If I dial back to 7-ish or lower, I get a chimey AC-ish clean tone. That's the way I like it with a fuzz face, dynamic real-time adjustment. Scene changes would take all the fun out of it for me. Although the scene-change idea is a good one, dialing back the gain on the model or the real pedal does not clean up well. That's why it's most common for people to keep the fuzz face dimed, and control gain from the guitar.

I certainly hope they revisit the model!

If I want Hendrix tone, I play my strat, volume rolled back to about 8-ish, into my fuzz face, then into either my OCD, similar pedal, or amp set to a slight grinding overdrive. That's an excellent grinding rhythm tone (especially on the neck pickup with my Vibe Machine), then twist up the volume on the guitar for in-your-face spitting fuzz. If I dial back to 7-ish or lower, I get a chimey AC-ish clean tone. That's the way I like it with a fuzz face, dynamic real-time adjustment. Scene changes would take all the fun out of it for me. Although the scene-change idea is a good one, dialing back the gain on the model or the real pedal does not clean up well. That's why it's most common for people to keep the fuzz face dimed, and control gain from the guitar.

I certainly hope they revisit the model!

In didn't mean only dialing back on parameter on the fuzz I meant tweaking all the settings to see if you could find those tones. ☺

Saying that it sounds like the way you work is as important to you as the tones - which I both get and respect.

I'd say that if enough people ask then Cliff will eventually find a way to fix it. But that's purely a guess. ☺

I'd love to see something like the wampler pinnacle or xts atomic added.

I maybe need to play around with the current drives more but I'm not quite hearing the higher gain marshall sounds I would use a lot.

Last edited:
I'd love to see something like the sampler pinnacle or xts atomic added.

I maybe need to play around with the current drives more but I'm not quite hearing the higher gain marshall sounds I would use a lot.

You can see back on 25 Nov I posted a bunch of pedals I'd like to see added, amp in a ox type things... since that time I have spent dozens of hours playing with the FX8 and now, I'm not really needing those amp in a box pedals any more... I'd def dig in deep to the drive block... I changed how I did everything basically from a pedal board and now I'm being told my drive tones are the best they've ever been... and I used to only use posh and expensive drive pedals...

YMMV of course, but there's a LOT of options... keep digging!

In didn't mean only dialing back on parameter on the fuzz I meant tweaking all the settings to see if you could find those tones. ☺

Saying that it sounds like the way you work is as important to you as the tones - which I both get and respect.

I'd say that if enough people ask then Cliff will eventually find a way to fix it. But that's purely a guess. ☺

I hear ya, and the scene suggestion is a good one that I'll try for sure, thanks for suggesting it. I never thought about "the way I work" being that important. It isn't that per se, it's the effect (i.e. tone) of the way I use my gear that matters, like getting all the "in between" sounds, finding the "sweet spot", etc. I don't see the distinction you're trying to draw I guess.

You can see back on 25 Nov I posted a bunch of pedals I'd like to see added, amp in a ox type things... since that time I have spent dozens of hours playing with the FX8 and now, I'm not really needing those amp in a box pedals any more... I'd def dig in deep to the drive block... I changed how I did everything basically from a pedal board and now I'm being told my drive tones are the best they've ever been... and I used to only use posh and expensive drive pedals...

YMMV of course, but there's a LOT of options... keep digging!

Now that's encouraging! :) I'm really interested in seeing/hearing your block settings that are impressing people so much, including yourself.

I hear ya, and the scene suggestion is a good one that I'll try for sure, thanks for suggesting it. I never thought about "the way I work" being that important. It isn't that per se, it's the effect (i.e. tone) of the way I use my gear that matters, like getting all the "in between" sounds, finding the "sweet spot", etc. I don't see the distinction you're trying to draw I guess.

I guess I assumed that you were using the volume as like an A/B (and maybe C/D/E) switch for your gain. And not a kinda infinite variety of sounds. Like I said before that sort of method isn't really how I've ever worked. I've always been a, "this sound for this bit" kinda guy.

So for me the scenes thing is amazing; one sound per section and all at the touch of a single button.

Anyway it's really just me trying to have a think about how I'd solve your problem from my perspective... which is probably a last cause ; )

I really appreciate the thought you've put into it TRT (hope you don't mind the abbreviated acronym ;))! In fact, I appreciate all the help I see people giving each other in this forum in general.

here are a few of mine:

Attachments

• rat like plex gretsch x hi y lo_20150619_182428.blk
    235 bytes · Views: 9
  • ruckus w Gretsch low X high Y_20150601_131351.blk
    233 bytes · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom