More 7.12 Firmware update problems

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
I cant get 7.12 to update.

Im using Midi-OX.

I didnt every have a problem until 7.00. This took 4 trys to load - with bad checksums being given on the first 3 attempts.

When I tried to update from 7.0 to 7.04, I got bad checksum 3 times, then I re-downloaded the file and tried again. I got 3 more bad checksums. On the 4th time, everything froze and I ended up needing a new Eprom.

Once installed, 7.04 loaded no problem.

Im now trying to update to 7.12. Ive had 3 bad checksums - re-downloaded the file, and have had 3 more bad checksums.

Im beginning to get the jitters !!!

Dont want to need another EProm, but cant see why this isnt updating properly. Seems fine for most people. Im going through the same process that I always have.

So - HELP !!! what else can I try?

I've had same trouble but I hadn't said anything because I'm on Ubuntu and was using Win XP in Virtualbox (though I've had zero problems with any other midi functionality in that config, nor any problems with the old editor in java). I also tried under Wine with no luck. I tried with Bome, I tried with Midi-Ox, I tried with the new editor beta, I tried with varying buffer sizes and delays. Finally I just used amidi (a linux based utility) to dump the raw .syx file to my Axe, and it worked. The thing I find interesting about this is amidi literally blasted the file at the Axe - the entire firmware uploaded in appx one minute, the lights on my interface were lit solid during the upload. And the Axe handled this with aplomb. I wonder if, instead of increasing the buffer delay time, people should try speeding it up?

It all depends on your midi port and driver.
After getting M-Audio midisport all my problems went away.
This was 2 years ago, I never had a bad checksum since.

:?

paulmapp8306 said:
I cant get 7.12 to update.

Im using Midi-OX.

I didnt every have a problem until 7.00. This took 4 trys to load - with bad checksums being given on the first 3 attempts.

When I tried to update from 7.0 to 7.04, I got bad checksum 3 times, then I re-downloaded the file and tried again. I got 3 more bad checksums. On the 4th time, everything froze and I ended up needing a new Eprom.

Once installed, 7.04 loaded no problem.

Im now trying to update to 7.12. Ive had 3 bad checksums - re-downloaded the file, and have had 3 more bad checksums.

Im beginning to get the jitters !!!

Dont want to need another EProm, but cant see why this isnt updating properly. Seems fine for most people. Im going through the same process that I always have.

So - HELP !!! what else can I try?

It has happened to me on past updates (things that worked before don't work now). A new EEPROM won't do squat. Try boones, try the old editor. When I had that issue I used the old editor and it worked. Before that the old editor had never worked for me.

I previously used a MidiSport 2x2 and never once had an issue using BOME.

Last night I decided to use my Presonus FP10 and after a couple of glitches (that were my fault) - it uploaded perfectly.

Im using a MBox 2.

Tried the new editor, but It wont detect a device - despite getting audio tones when I test it.

Never had the trouble pre 7.0 though using the same set-up.

TBH the only things in the latest update I really want it the CPU savings with modulation, and the pedal compressor changes, so Ill maybe wait for the next update. When I really tend to update is when we get new amp or pedal models ;)

paulmapp8306 said:
Im using a MBox 2.

Tried the new editor, but It wont detect a device - despite getting audio tones when I test it.

Never had the trouble pre 7.0 though using the same set-up.

TBH the only things in the latest update I really want it the CPU savings with modulation, and the pedal compressor changes, so Ill maybe wait for the next update. When I really tend to update is when we get new amp or pedal models ;)

the audio tones have nothing to do with MIDI, the MIDI input/output select is what connects.

Yeh I know that. The point is the other "non midi" settings seem fine.

It does give the Digidesign MBox 2 as both midi in and midi out device in the settings tab, but whenever I try to "update firmware", or do any upload or downloads to the Axe, it just says no device detected.

I have no idea how to make it see my axe.

Any help here would be good too!

paulmapp8306 said:

It does give the Digidesign MBox 2 as both midi in and midi out device in the settings tab, but whenever I try to "update firmware", or do any upload or downloads to the Axe, it just says no device detected.

Yes, it needs to show connection to work.
Did you try the old editor? I understand you frustration. I was using MIDIox just fine until 7.0 then it stopped working. I had to use a laptop and boomes sendsx until I discover the old editor (which was not previously work) worked fine.

paulmapp8306 said:

See if this is your problem connecting:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6775

Tried again using Bomes SendSX as suggested.

I took quite a bit longer than MIDI-OX, but it did actually work, which is the point.

:D

Don't see much mention of the Stec Dump Tool. I use it almost exclusively for updates. I think I had a bad checksum issue with it on one FW version...other than that, it's been ultra reliable. Very simple too.

http://stecsoftware.com/

Back
Top Bottom