Mooer Tube Engine 20 Watt Power Amp & Axe III - Any thoughts?

Milchek

So, now that I've got an Axe III and am settling in with it, I've started to look at options to get beyond the headphones.

Previously, I was using a Mesa Mark V 25watt head coupled with a custom 1x12 open back cab which is loaded with a V30. Quite enjoyed that, but I'm trying to be a minimalist, and once I heard the Axe FX I knew that the Mark V was no longer required, even though it was great for bedroom level practice.

I've been looking around and found the Matrix line of amps (an obvious and longtime favorite of Axe FX owners), the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 (something slightly different) and now looking into other alternatives.

It appears Mooer have thrown their hat into the ring with the Tube Engine, and it might just work for me (given I only need to power a 1x12 and don't intend to use this for 'gigging' etc).

Does anyone have any experience with these and an Axe FX? Any pitfalls or issues to be aware of? Ideally I just want something that is pain free to use (no messing around with the Axe FX III if possible).

Those Mooer Tube engines aren't cheap for what they are tbh, probably better off buying a s/h Marshall 20/20, thats what I used with my Fractal Fx2 with good results into Yamaha DBR12's

I don’t really see the logic in buying the best processor on the market, which comes with over 2000 cab IR’s, and then running everything through a cheap amp into a 1x12, because you want something that is “pain free” and doesn’t require messing around with the III.

Whole point of the III is you can mess around and change the sound. You can make it sound like a 1x15, a 4x12, a 1x6 etc etc

Play it through the Mooer and everything is going to be colored by the amp, and have the characteristics of whatever 1x12 amp you’ve got.

Cabs make more tonal difference than the amp models in many cases, so by omitting that feature I think your giving up a ton of the versatility you pay for with the III.

I don’t really see the logic in buying the best processor on the market, which comes with over 2000 cab IR’s, and then running everything through a cheap amp into a 1x12, because you want something that is “pain free” and doesn’t require messing around with the III.

Whole point of the III is you can mess around and change the sound. You can make it sound like a 1x15, a 4x12, a 1x6 etc etc

Play it through the Mooer and everything is going to be colored by the amp, and have the characteristics of whatever 1x12 amp you’ve got.

Cabs make more tonal difference than the amp models in many cases, so by omitting that feature I think your giving up a ton of the versatility you pay for with the III.

Couldn't agree more with the above.

After 3 months of struggling with my AX8 into a Carr amp (awesome amp on it's own) - I got a Yamaha DXR10

Second best (after the AX8) purchase ever.

Now I have the III, will likely get a second one - you hear the unit as it's meant to be used

I recommend a Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12. I use 2 of each. Not using IR's and FRFR with the Axe-Fx III is such a waste especially bc it comes with over 2000 IR's. You would have been better off saving some $ and buying a used Axe-Fx II MK I or II.

I suppose it was to use what I have with me right now. Friedman ASC-12 is an option, but I'd need to try it out, and be sure that it sounds good to me - the guys who stock these near me have just gone out of stock, so it will be a little while before I can try.

If the Friedman is no good then a power amp and cabs will be the route I go (1x12 at home, and 2x12 if out and about - which will probably be rare). I see mixed opinions here on FRFR vs power amp + cab, so exploring all the options.

I recommend a Yamaha DXR10 or DXR12. I use 2 of each. Not using IR's and FRFR with the Axe-Fx III is such a waste especially bc it comes with over 2000 IR's. You would have been better off saving some $ and buying a used Axe-Fx II MK I or II.

Does the DXR12 or DXR10 feel like a real 'amp' in the room? (as they say)

That's really what it come down to. I tried monitors (HS8s and HS7s) which were great and all, but definetely not the same as a cab.

Ultimately, I agree, if I can have something that lets me make use of the cab IR's, then great, but if it doesn't feel right then it will have to be a power amp and cab (which I see a lot of guys here do as well)

Why would the Asm-12 be your only frfr consideration ?

There are the atomic clr’s, xitone makes a range of great options, yahama dx’s, etc

That's really what it come down to. I tried monitors (HS8s and HS7s) which were great and all, but definetely not the same as a cab.

Ultimately, I agree, if I can have something that lets me make use of the cab IR's, then great, but if it doesn't feel right then it will have to be a power amp and cab (which I see a lot of guys here do as well)

“Amp in room” for the ten millionth time ?

Count me out of this thread

If you get a pair of DRX10's and a pair of DXR12's like I have, you and your neighbors will feel like a real 'amp' is in the room. I used to use a Marshall 1960AV cab. If you want to get the amp in room feel, you have to make sure to put the FRFR cabs on the floor, so they shake your nuts. Don't put them on stands or a desk at ear level.

Why would the Asm-12 be your only frfr consideration ?

There are the atomic clr’s, xitone makes a range of great options, yahama dx’s, etc

I can't get Atomics near me to try, only the ASC-12. Yamaha DX are now on the radar to try, I've found a store that has these.

If you get a pair of DRX10's and a pair of DXR12's like I have, you and your neighbors will feel like a real 'amp' is in the room. I used to use a Marshall 1960AV cab. If you want to get the amp in room feel, you have to make sure to put the FRFR cabs on the floor, so they shake your nuts. Don't put them on stands or a desk at ear level.

Nut shaking sounds great. I'll have to try one out.

BTW, I don't think that not using the IRs is a huge waste. Ultimately the Axe FX is there for whatever people need, that's the beauty of it. Want to run just headphones? Go for it? Want to run a power amp and use it to model various heads / effects that you can try with your favorite real world cab? Sure. Want it for studio monitor output only? etc

It's versatile, one shouldn't be pigeonholed into using it for a single defined purpose. At least that's what attracted me to it, and the fact that I could have some of my favorite amp heads in the one box via the amazing models. Whether I run those models into a real cab, or an IR and FRFR, or an IR and studio monitors, it shouldn't matter too much to anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom