"Monster" Home Practice Rig

aleclee

Power User
Axe-FX powered, of course. :D I got the final pieces in place this weekend.
AxePractice.jpg

Key components:
  • Axe-FX Ultra[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Mackie MR5 powered monitors[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Midisport 2x2[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • LF Jr[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • MSI Wind Netbook[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Roc 'n Soc drum throne with back rest[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]

For my purposes, this setup has things pretty well covered.
  • Looks slick enough to leave out in the living room. With a 3 y.o., I don't often get to break away to the music room in the basement.[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Awesome tone (never found my L6-based practice setups inspiring)[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Play through headphones or monitors--I got some quality time in this afternoon while Mini Me was napping.[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Can play along with MP3s or other tracks[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Can easily do scratch recordings on the netbook or hook up my Mac if I want to use Logic. I'll do the latter when I get time to work on my band's CD. Nothing like the brutal feedback of listening to recorded practice sessions. :shock: [/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Netbook lets me just sit down and run things without moving any of my "real" computers[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Plenty of storage space for cables, etc.[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Comfy seat with no arm rests to get in the way[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
  • Core rig is still grab 'n go.[/*:m:2xc9zt3g]
The Alesis was a really important piece. With its USB interface, I can play/record stuff on the netbook just by hooking up a single cable. Its headphone jack is also important since that's something a lot of folks miss on the Axe-FX.

This setup does everything I've wanted to do with a home practice rig and does so surprisingly easily. The one thing I'm still wrestling with is swapping cables when running AxeEdit or the LF editor. I might eventually do it (mainly involves a bunch o' MIDI cables and a MIDI Merger) but for the moment I'm thrilled that I can do just about anything I want to do practice-wise with no muss and no fuss. :D

Anyone else have a similar setup?

That's a nice set-up but if you had monitors with an aux input (e.g. Edirol MA-15s) you could plug your laptop or MP-3 player directly into them and get rid of the mixer. They also have a headphone jack to boot.

> if you had monitors with an aux input (e.g. Edirol MA-15s) you could plug
> your laptop or MP-3 player directly into them and get rid of the mixer.

But he's using the mixer as the audio interface to the laptop as well.

> Also, you need a nice wooden rack to match your shelves.

It's his gig rack.

Nice setup.

- John

I have similar setup but I use 8" monitors.
There is a pretty big difference in the low end punch and in what I call "more balls" section

But it's cool.... one day I will update my studio with 12" farfields, that would be the ultimate.

;)

I like the look of your setup and may incorporate some of your ideas (setting up my workspace is a slow process for me at the moment and I'm really limited in the space department because I live in a shoebox size flat in HK).

BTW, how's the seat? Looks like a good idea. The other day I was checking out a Mesa Boogie branded mini bar-stool type seat which was in the local music shop and was great (it could swivel but also had a rung that went around the legs near the bottom that you could put your foot on). I think it was owned by the shop though, and not for sale.

Cheers

Very similar setup to mine, except more svelte... I use a desktop instead of a laptop and 8" monitors, and I don't have a PRS. :)

Ochanomizu said:
The other day I was checking out a Mesa Boogie branded mini bar-stool type seat which was in the local music shop and was great (it could swivel but also had a rung that went around the legs near the bottom that you could put your foot on). I think it was owned by the shop though, and not for sale.
Cheers

you can buy those at the Mesa store for $129. http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/mb-stool.html

Ochanomizu said:
BTW, how's the seat? Looks like a good idea. The other day I was checking out a Mesa Boogie branded mini bar-stool type seat which was in the local music shop and was great (it could swivel but also had a rung that went around the legs near the bottom that you could put your foot on). I think it was owned by the shop though, and not for sale.
I really like the seat. It's comfy and compact. It has some bounce to it (a good thing IMO) since it has the same type of height adjustment as most office chairs.

steverosburg said:
Very similar setup to mine, except more svelte... I use a desktop instead of a laptop and 8" monitors, and I don't have a PRS. :)
Thanks! I have a few PRS guitars but the one in the picture is actually a Driskill Diablo.

aleclee said:
Axe-FX powered, of course. :D I got the final pieces in place this weekend.

Key components:
  • Axe-FX Ultra[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Mackie MR5 powered monitors[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Midisport 2x2[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • LF Jr[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Alesis Multimix 8 USB mixer[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • MSI Wind Netbook[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Roc 'n Soc drum throne with back rest[/*:m:168jfhxe]

For my purposes, this setup has things pretty well covered.
  • Looks slick enough to leave out in the living room. With a 3 y.o., I don't often get to break away to the music room in the basement.[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Awesome tone (never found my L6-based practice setups inspiring)[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Play through headphones or monitors--I got some quality time in this afternoon while Mini Me was napping.[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Can play along with MP3s or other tracks[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Can easily do scratch recordings on the netbook or hook up my Mac if I want to use Logic. I'll do the latter when I get time to work on my band's CD. Nothing like the brutal feedback of listening to recorded practice sessions. :shock: [/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Netbook lets me just sit down and run things without moving any of my "real" computers[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Plenty of storage space for cables, etc.[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Comfy seat with no arm rests to get in the way[/*:m:168jfhxe]
  • Core rig is still grab 'n go.[/*:m:168jfhxe]
The Alesis was a really important piece. With its USB interface, I can play/record stuff on the netbook just by hooking up a single cable. Its headphone jack is also important since that's something a lot of folks miss on the Axe-FX.

This setup does everything I've wanted to do with a home practice rig and does so surprisingly easily. The one thing I'm still wrestling with is swapping cables when running AxeEdit or the LF editor. I might eventually do it (mainly involves a bunch o' MIDI cables and a MIDI Merger) but for the moment I'm thrilled that I can do just about anything I want to do practice-wise with no muss and no fuss. :D

Anyone else have a similar setup?

Nice rig!

Here's my home setup:

DSC_0999.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

Out1 to mixer - pc - monitors
Out2 direct to K10

I pull the Axe out when I play out, pick up the K10 and i'm off!

DSC_1038.jpg

:cool:

aleclee said:
steverosburg said:
Thanks! I have a few PRS guitars but the one in the picture is actually a Driskill Diablo.
Doh! I obviously didn't pay close attention to the pic, just a quick glance and thought it was a PRS. Obviously a major faux pas... :oops:
I'd never heard of Driskill before, but that looks like a very nice guitar indeed.

AndrewSimon said:
There is a pretty big difference in the low end punch and in what I call "more balls" section

But it's cool.... one day I will update my studio with 12" farfields, that would be the ultimate.

;)

12" are great ;)
Studio2010GuitarGear.jpg

Armin said:
AndrewSimon said:

;)

12" are great ;)
Studio2010GuitarGear.jpg
Armin, I think you might have a little more discretionary income to spend on gear than some of the rest of us. Also, it's really hard to tell from the picture, but do you like Fender by any chance? :lol:

steverosburg said:
Also, it's really hard to tell from the picture, but do you like Fender by any chance? :lol:

This picture does not show the Gibson and PRS corner of the room ;)

Nice collection Armin.. Is the boogie on the right the Mark V?.. Cant quite make out the knob layout. Love the lonestar amp as well. Absolutely cant go wrong. Also like the White/Mint green guard strat on the wall.

Gotta say, bit of envy over here.. ;)

Armin said:
AndrewSimon said:

;)

12" are great ;)
Studio2010GuitarGear.jpg

Holy :shock:

PlaysARobin said:
Nice collection Armin.. Is the boogie on the right the Mark V?.. Cant quite make out the knob layout. Love the lonestar amp as well. Absolutely cant go wrong. Also like the White/Mint green guard strat on the wall.

Gotta say, bit of envy over here.. ;)

Yes, it's a Mark V combo - like it very much.

The Strat is a 60' Relic - did not want to buy another Strat after owning the two others - but have to after I found it in a shop.

Studio2010GuitarGearBack.jpg

Hey Armin, that's quite an amp & guitar arsenal...nice!

There are 2 Universal Audio LA-610's which are the stereo front end into the MOTU HD192 with a Black Lion Audio modification and word clock, a Dangerous Music D-Box summing mixer/monitor control, and an SSL Duende.

My Axe-fx will need to stay in a rack for live use so I'll have to have it on the left side hitting the patch bay...now I can sell the POD!! :D

EDIT: ...and the XTLive...

Back
Top Bottom