Mono / Stereo experimentation

mwd

Power User
We are a hybrid band using a backing track for drums, bass & lights. We play 2 live guitars with vocals via QSC PA and X32 in stereo. We have always run stereo and I have used my Axe in stereo since the day I got it a decade ago. My bandmate ran a Marshall head thru the board in mono and my Axe was in stereo. Super nice sound with good blend and full stereo spectrum and no issues on the live gigs we played.

Bandmate got a Kemper a few months ago and we both began to run in stereo. We seemed to be stepping on each other other… unable to find our own space. Last night I began to experiment with my Axe. I ran Copy L to R and Sum L to R. I can’t remember which I landed on but my sound actually seemed to be best when I panned both L/R channels to 2 o’clock on the X32. I panned the Kemper a shade left to carve out a space in the spectrum for the Axe.

I liked the clarity it introduced but having never used this Axe in any manner except stereo I am wondering the various impacts of Copy or Sum L to R vs just panning both sides to the same point in the stereo image.

Back
Top Bottom