Monitors vs FRFR for bedroom player?

“Nearfield” refers to monitoring where you are hearing more of the speaker and less of the room's reflections...
Actually, It's not about reflections at all. In any room of any size, at any distance, reflections will make a significant contribution to the sound you hear.

The near field is the range of distances where the individual parts of the speaker have separate effects on the sound you're hearing. Once you've backed far enough away from the speaker that it behaves like a single point source of sound, you've left the near field and entered the far field. In a typical bedroom, you'll never get far enough away from the speaker to leave the near field.

Actually, It's not about reflections at all. In any room of any size, at any distance, reflections will make a significant contribution to the sound you hear.

The near field is the range of distances where the individual parts of the speaker have separate effects on the sound you're hearing. Once you've backed far enough away from the speaker that it behaves like a single point source of sound, you've left the near field and entered the far field. In a typical bedroom, you'll never get far enough away from the speaker to leave the near field.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_monitor

Read it...further you are away you pick up coloration and reverberation. My bedroom is alot bigger than 3-5 feet and unless you have room treatment you will absolutely get coloration from the room.

Bottom line...get what you can afford and get making music. A fractal is going to sound good through damn near any solution for bedroom jamming.....well maybe not this part0.jpg
😜🤘

I did.

further you are away you pick up coloration and reverberation.
True.

My bedroom is alot bigger than 3-5 feet...
I'll take your word for that. So's mine. :)

...and unless you have room treatment you will absolutely get coloration from the room.
You'll get room coloration even if you do have acoustic treatment.

This is a good explanation of the near field vs the far field. It's defined entirely by the speaker itself, not the room it's in:

Loudspeakers must be measured at a distance beyond which the shape of the radiation balloon remains unchanged. The changes are caused by path length differences to different points on the surface of the device.

These differences become increasingly negligible with increasing distance from the source, much in the same way as any object optically “shrinks” as the observer moves to a greater distance.

The distance at which the path-length differences become negligible marks the end of the near-field and beginning of the far-field of the device.

Here's a link to the full article... https://www.prosoundweb.com/far-field-criteria-for-loudspeaker-measurement/

I did.

True.

I'll take your word for that. So's mine. :)

You'll get room coloration even if you do have acoustic treatment.

This is a good explanation of the near field vs the far field. It's defined entirely by the speaker itself, not the room it's in:

Here's a link to the full article... https://www.prosoundweb.com/far-field-criteria-for-loudspeaker-measurement/
I did read it....op was implying nearfield monitors. That article was about measuring criteria for loudspeakers in general. Nearfield (as the name implies) are designed for optimal listening within 3-5ft. Op also stated room is 10x12 and wants to stand up and walk around while playing which will most likely put him out of the optimal 3-5ft which will for sure introduce coloration....all I was saying. You can disagree with me all day long but that doesn't change the facts. Personally I was using Yamaha hs50m "nearfield" monitors and unless you were in that sweet spot they didn't sound the greatest imo. I even reinforced them with headrush FRFR12s 6ft from center hanging from the ceiling which helped when I was out past the 3-5 foot from my desktop monitors....my solution...two f12-x200 cabs at the same 6ft from center and a 530watt stereo power amp. Now they sound good when I'm sitting at my desk or across the street. Problem solved. Lol

Last edited:
op was implying nearfield monitors.
No problem. I was addressing a later statement that near/far field was defined by the relative strength of room reflections, which is not the case.

Also stated room is 10x12 and wants to stand up and walk around while playing which will most likely put him out of the optimal 3-5ft which will for sure introduce coloration....all I was saying.
True. But that will be true for any speaker, not just studio monitors.

You can disagree with me all day long but that doesn't change the facts.
C'mon, brother. I stated nothing but facts. :)

Personally I was using Yamaha hs50m "nearfield" monitors and unless you were in that sweet spot they didn't sound the greatest imo. I even reinforced them with headrush FRFR12s 6ft from center hanging from the ceiling which helped when I was out past the 3-5 foot from my desktop monitors....my solution...two f12-x200 cabs at the same 6ft from center and a 530watt stereo power amp. Now they sound good when I'm sitting at my desk or across the street. Problem solved. Lol
Ya gotta go with what works. TBH, though, I'm not surprised that your F12-X200 cabs outperformed entry-level speakers.

If you plan on jamming with music and or backing tracks. Studio monitors. If it’s just for hearing your guitar then either will suffice.

If you plan on jamming with music and or backing tracks. Studio monitors. If it’s just for hearing your guitar then either will suffice.

most studio monitors only have one set of inputs though...

my CLR has 2 speedster inputs, each with its own input level control. Works really well for the purpose of playing back tracks etc from a computer etc, and also having the Axe connected at the same time....

granted you can now play an iPhone etc through the Axe, but just the same, studio monitors aren’t going to be ideal for booking up to a pc, and the Axe, unless you use a mixer in between to give you more inputs and gain staging

granted you can now play an iPhone etc through the Axe, but just the same, studio monitors aren’t going to be ideal for booking up to a pc, and the Axe, unless you use a mixer in between to give you more inputs and gain staging
AFX/FM3 work very well as a USB interface for Mac/PC/iPad. No need for a mixer. USB levels can be adjusted via hardware or Edit.

AFX/FM3 work very well as a USB interface for Mac/PC/iPad. No need for a mixer. USB levels can be adjusted via hardware or Edit.

But then what do you do if you just want to play some audio from your pc through your monitors ? Power up your AxeFM3 every time ? Keep it always turned on because it’s always serving as your audio interface ?

I’m a relatively new guitarist. I own the FM3 and currently just play through headphones. I’m debating between a pair of Adam studio monitors or the Friedman ASC-10 for jamming in the bedroom. I don’t do any recording or gigging just a hobby player and want the best possible tone while playing at home. Which would be a better option for me?
if you have a pc near you , just plug your earphones from the fx into your computer input and voila ,the sound of the pc speakers .not to loud .

Last edited:
Either or imo, get something known to work well in your budget and you should be fine.

I went from a line6 powercab+ to 4" monitors and havent had an issue. We've also had our first child and 99% of my playing is with headphones.

Just a point - studio monitors ARE FRFR.......more so than FRFR stage cabinets are (generally).

What your debating is a stereo pair of STUDIO FRFR monitors - or a stage volume FRFR cabinet.

Studio monitors are more accurate, and built for the room environment. FRFR cab is built for the extra volume needed on a stage, and compromises its freq response somewhat to do so (again, generally).

Let the volume you need determine which you use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom