Monitors VS FRFR cab. Differences?

Also consider over ear headphones. I have the HS8 monitors, but 99% of the time I'll use Sennheiser HD650 instead. The headphone output on the Axe FX III is excellent and has no problem at all driving these.

I've only had it a little over a month, but my Dynaudio studio monitors sound absolutely great with the FX3.

But one day, I hooked the stereo outputs from FX3 into my two input jacks on my Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue amp, all settings set low and clean, the sounds were incredible. That 1x12 amp is so clean and powerful, the FX3 absolutely rocked big time! Sounded like I had Dumbles and double 4X12 Mesa and Marshalls blasting out of that speaker.

Using studio monitors is the right call. If you aren't using them now, you may also be surprised at how much better you can hear things in recorded music, too. I got Adams A3s about 7 years ago but wish I had sprung for A7s. All the FRFR cabs are going to have a louder usable volume threshold, too. Studio monitors go down to whisper quiet, which sounds important to your situation.

can't comment on the HS8, but the tweeter in the Adam's is fantastic! To me the biggest surprise was the width of the "sweet spot"; no matter how close you get to one speaker's axis, you still have the full stereo image nicely projected

Using studio monitors is the right call. If you aren't using them now, you may also be surprised at how much better you can hear things in recorded music, too. I got Adams A3s about 7 years ago but wish I had sprung for A7s. All the FRFR cabs are going to have a louder usable volume threshold, too. Studio monitors go down to whisper quiet, which sounds important to your situation.

I disagree with this as my CLR sounds fantastic at whisper volume levels, 3mo old sleeping in the next room quiet.

others like my Headrush I do agree on as it’s got a bit of hiss from the tweeter which can be annoying latenight, but there are certainly FRFR which can work great as very low volume.

Hi @70seven ,

My opinion is that with monitors, you'll have a great chance of your patches sounding good anywhere, where as using FRFR's you'll often be accounting for a lack of accuracy these speakers have. For example, if the FRFR you have chosen has a trough or peak in the mids, you will create your patches accordingly (accounting for the trough or peak_, and when you plug into a good pa, or studio, or even hi-fi, your sound will inversely mirror thos inaccuracies... yeuck :)

Oh - and happy birthday - Bet nobody tops that gift!

Thanks
Pauly

Hi there, first post here. I'm planning on buying an AXE FX 3 for my 40th birthday next month. I'm having a hard time choosing Monitors/FRFR speaker for it. I'm just wondering if anyone here can tell me what difference would I hear from the options I'm considering below?

First of all, I play at home only, I don't play loud at all, just above the string noise from my instrument is usually my volume. I don't gig, ever, just play at home by myself.

I know an AXE FX is overkill for me, I don't really need it. But I've been considering it for years now and its my 40th so I'm going for it.

Now for tones I'm looking for or music style I play, I mostly play Iron Maiden covers, some Dream Theater, Metallica and Megadeth also. I'll be experimenting a lot with the high gain amps models but I'm not looking for a Djent type tone..

1. Yamaha HS8 Monitors. This is the option I'm leaning towards.. Looks to be a good pair of Monitors, price seems fair.
2. Adam A7X. These are twice the price of the HS8. Do they really sound that much better than the HS8's?
3. Matrix Amplificaiton FR12,1x12 Powerred FRFR cab.
4. Friedman 1x12 Powered FRFR

Anyone tried a few of those? Were the tones similar or vastly different from one solution to another? Is the difference between using Monitors and using FRFR cabs simply to be able to play louder and gig with?

Thanks,

HI Again,

Save the extra - You'll be living with your choices for years, maybe a decade or more (speakers are like that) - So get the best you can manage. Remember how much you paid for yoru best guitar?... I don't, but I vaguely remembering questioning whether it was worth the extra money at the time... It is & was! That stands true for lots of purchasing decisions.... tools... cars... motorcycles... all the fun stuff! :)

Thanks
Pauly

Ok, love the replies so far, this is helpfull! Pretty much confirms that Studio Monitors are right for my use.

So in the Yahama HS8 VS the Adam A7X. Large difference in sound? A7X are twice the price. Only using it for the Axe FX3, am I ok with the HS8 or is it worth saving for a month or two extra to get the A7X ?

thanks.

If you are never coming out of the home environment any time soon, you may also want to consider a really good multiple driver set of In Ear monitors. I love rehearsing with mine. Everything sounds fantastic. Of course, since i play live, I use my amp and cabs, at gig level, to create my presets. But I find anything I listen to, through my In Ears, sounds great. And it doesn't matter what time I practice, I'm not waking up the FAM!
What IEMs are you using? Any recommendations based on your experience with these?

Thats absolutely true - except the power amp modeling, I prefer a solid state amp . But I was hopeful to find a FRFR solution witch offers more possibilities...

Doesnt it say if you want amp in the room tone, to run a power amp into a guitar cab with power amp modeling and speaker settings disabled?

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Confirms what I suspected already, Monitors are the right choice for me. I had to ask, its not like I can walk into a store and plug in a Axe FX3 into a Friedman FRFR cab and then try the Yamaha HS8 side by side hehe.

So I'll aim for the A7X.. But might have to wait an extra month or two to save up a bit more, not sure.. I'm Canadian, the A7X are 1000$ each here.. not an easy purchase when you add an Axe Fx on top of that. But that's what I'll set my mind on and will try to get those. If not I'm sure the HS8 would be good too..

It will be a nice upgrade for me. I've been thinking of getting an Axe FX for a few years now to replace my Boss GT-8 into a 1x10 Peavy solid state practice amp... That's been my rig since...2005? haha. Sure to get blown away by the tones of the Axe FX3...

Cheers.

..... Nobody has mentionned XiTone cabs from Mick which are almost as good as Clr , as they sound perfect and i can attest of it , have the réputation of sounding like a real amp cab ....

...It will be a nice upgrade for me. I've been thinking of getting an Axe FX for a few years now to replace my Boss GT-8 into a 1x10 Peavy solid state practice amp... That's been my rig since...2005? haha. Sure to get blown away by the tones of the Axe FX3...

I hope you have a seat belt on your studio chair. You're definitely gonna be blown away. 👍 Happy birthday indeed.

..... Nobody has mentionned XiTone cabs from Mick which are almost as good as Clr , as they sound perfect and i can attest of it , have the réputation of sounding like a real amp cab ....
I tried XiTone, CLR, and QSC side by side years ago. The XiTone sounded best to me, but none were available at that time. I saw Dweezil was using QSC and sounded great so I went with those.

I use Yamaha monitors in the studio and as long as I listen to them at a fairly loud volume I can create presets that also sound good live on the QSC's. The Yamaha's sound good to me. I know there are a lot better more expensive monitors, but I am happy with the Yamahas for now.

Ok, love the replies so far, this is helpfull! Pretty much confirms that Studio Monitors are right for my use.

So in the Yahama HS8 VS the Adam A7X. Large difference in sound? A7X are twice the price. Only using it for the Axe FX3, am I ok with the HS8 or is it worth saving for a month or two extra to get the A7X ?

thanks.
HS8’s !!! Don’t pay double. Plenty of clean power to spare, and very transparent.
Spend the money you save on an FC-12, and setup some studio layouts on it.

You can play along to anything via USB!

I disagree with this as my CLR sounds fantastic at whisper volume levels, 3mo old sleeping in the next room quiet.

others like my Headrush I do agree on as it’s got a bit of hiss from the tweeter which can be annoying latenight, but there are certainly FRFR which can work great as very low volume.
That must be true, but I find it a bit of a twitchy setting on my CLR to get it from inaudible to whisper quiet. For me, monitors have a much smoother low volume taper.

That must be true, but I find it a bit of a twitchy setting on my CLR to get it from inaudible to whisper quiet. For me, monitors have a much smoother low volume taper.

they are certainly capable of blowing out the Windows loud with a sudden twist of the knobs lol

basically an issue of gain staging so that you have a useable range on the Axe output knob, then the CLR input gain and master out. I usually run the CLR levels fairly low at home so I can have plenty of range from the Axe volume knob for various listening levels.

one thing I actually like about the CLR is the dispersion for guitar as my monitors on my desk require me to be in front of them, or else I need more volume off axis. The CLR sounds pretty good anywhere in the room so I can keep it soft, but still give the highs which otherwise would be lost off axis.

I have v1 CLR’s though and couldn’t find a local buyer for even $500, so rather than “give them away” low pricing I keep and enjoy them even if it’s just for home use. Wouldn’t buy two at $999 each new for just home use though, as great as they are.

If the OP comes across a great deal, ideally locally, though, they can sure be great bang for the buck, even for home use only

I tried XiTone, CLR, and QSC side by side years ago. The XiTone sounded best to me, but none were available at that time. I saw Dweezil was using QSC and sounded great so I went with those.

I use Yamaha monitors in the studio and as long as I listen to them at a fairly loud volume I can create presets that also sound good live on the QSC's. The Yamaha's sound good to me. I know there are a lot better more expensive monitors, but I am happy with the Yamahas for now.
I have now three XiTone cabs , the last one is from the retro serie which give you even more the feel of playing a real amp cab ... truly amazing ... i ve Never played a CLR but XiTone is for sure an unbelievable reference ....

Back
Top Bottom