Monitors VS FRFR cab. Differences?

70seven

Hi there, first post here. I'm planning on buying an AXE FX 3 for my 40th birthday next month. I'm having a hard time choosing Monitors/FRFR speaker for it. I'm just wondering if anyone here can tell me what difference would I hear from the options I'm considering below?

First of all, I play at home only, I don't play loud at all, just above the string noise from my instrument is usually my volume. I don't gig, ever, just play at home by myself.

I know an AXE FX is overkill for me, I don't really need it. But I've been considering it for years now and its my 40th so I'm going for it.

Now for tones I'm looking for or music style I play, I mostly play Iron Maiden covers, some Dream Theater, Metallica and Megadeth also. I'll be experimenting a lot with the high gain amps models but I'm not looking for a Djent type tone..

1. Yamaha HS8 Monitors. This is the option I'm leaning towards.. Looks to be a good pair of Monitors, price seems fair.
2. Adam A7X. These are twice the price of the HS8. Do they really sound that much better than the HS8's?
3. Matrix Amplificaiton FR12,1x12 Powerred FRFR cab.
4. Friedman 1x12 Powered FRFR

Anyone tried a few of those? Were the tones similar or vastly different from one solution to another? Is the difference between using Monitors and using FRFR cabs simply to be able to play louder and gig with?

Thanks,

I have a set of Yamaha HS8s and they sound really good. That would be my recommendation for low to medium volume in a home only situation where low cost was a concern.
If money is no object I would suggest getting a high end 10" PA system like a set of Yamaha DZR10s that way you also have a rocking PA system if you ever host a BBQ or party or something. Its also future proof if you ever change your mind and want to jam with some friends.

If you are never coming out of the home environment any time soon, you may also want to consider a really good multiple driver set of In Ear monitors. I love rehearsing with mine. Everything sounds fantastic. Of course, since i play live, I use my amp and cabs, at gig level, to create my presets. But I find anything I listen to, through my In Ears, sounds great. And it doesn't matter what time I practice, I'm not waking up the FAM!

do you want accuracy across all amps/IR's or do you want one cab/speaker tone and that feel? That's the first thing to decide on. After that it's HOW much accuracy you want. Good monitors will be best, or something like the CLR. The Gemini is sort of the middle ground, the Friedman isn't all that accurate but has the most cab like feel or the FRFR speakers.

Bottom line you have to decide what's most important to you.

do you want accuracy across all amps/IR's or do you want one cab/speaker tone and that feel? That's the first thing to decide on. After that it's HOW much accuracy you want. Good monitors will be best, or something like the CLR. The Gemini is sort of the middle ground, the Friedman isn't all that accurate but has the most cab like feel or the FRFR speakers.

Bottom line you have to decide what's most important to you.

Ok some good questions here. I think Monitors are right for me. I'm not looking for a Cab tone or anything like that.

What I want is when I sit down and decide to create a patch, if I decide on a Marshall amp, I want it to sound as close to an actual Marshall as possible. Then if I switch to a Mesa amp, I want it to sound "Mesa like" ... I'm sure this is what every Axe user is looking or as well, but would Monitors get me there ?

Ok some good questions here. I think Monitors are right for me. I'm not looking for a Cab tone or anything like that.

What I want is when I sit down and decide to create a patch, if I decide on a Marshall amp, I want it to sound as close to an actual Marshall as possible. Then if I switch to a Mesa amp, I want it to sound "Mesa like" ... I'm sure this is what every Axe user is looking or as well, but would Monitors get me there ?

Any FRFR solution should do that. Its just up to you on format.

As FRFR I've tested nearly all cabs - including Friedman, Matrix, Laney, etc. I was really disappointed because I expected a nearly "amp in the room sound" but without success. For me the most authentic tone gives my IEM and studio monitors - really the best sound. All other PA or FRFR speakers are coloring the tone massive and IMHO its a huge compromise. I like using my in-ears for rehearsals and gigs (backup is a QSC K10.2) and tuning in my sounds with a pair of studio monitors. Thinking of a "real" cab with Matrix ssa...

My Presonus Scepter monitors and my CLR's sound near identical, which is the point. The CLR's just have a lot more power and dispersion. One is great for sitting at my desk in the stereo sweet spot, the other is great for playing guitar and moving around, putting out volume to compete with other players amps etc

Different products which do the same thing....differently lol

My Presonus Scepter monitors and my CLR's sound near identical, which is the point. The CLR's just have a lot more power and dispersion. One is great for sitting at my desk in the stereo sweet spot, the other is great for playing guitar and moving around, putting out volume to compete with other players amps etc

Different products which do the same thing....differently lol
Do you have the Sceptre 6 or 8's?

Ok, love the replies so far, this is helpfull! Pretty much confirms that Studio Monitors are right for my use.

So in the Yahama HS8 VS the Adam A7X. Large difference in sound? A7X are twice the price. Only using it for the Axe FX3, am I ok with the HS8 or is it worth saving for a month or two extra to get the A7X ?

thanks.

As FRFR I've tested nearly all cabs - including Friedman, Matrix, Laney, etc. I was really disappointed because I expected a nearly "amp in the room sound" but without success. For me the most authentic tone gives my IEM and studio monitors - really the best sound. All other PA or FRFR speakers are coloring the tone massive and IMHO its a huge compromise. I like using my in-ears for rehearsals and gigs (backup is a QSC K10.2) and tuning in my sounds with a pair of studio monitors. Thinking of a "real" cab with Matrix ssa...

Doesnt it say if you want amp in the room tone, to run a power amp into a guitar cab with power amp modeling and speaker settings disabled?

Studio Monitors definitely sound like what will make you happy....................I have 2 Yamaha DXR10's but hardly ever use them(home body mainly also)
My studio monitors have been my sound for 11 years here with fractal.

I just upgraded from a set of K-Roks to the Adam A7X and couldn't be happier. The K-Roks sounded fine, or so I thought, but the Adams just allow you to hear so much more detail that I'm noticing things that didn't seem to exist before.

I have 2 Yamaha DXR10 and a 12" DXS sub in the spare bedroom which replaced my Tannoy 401 monitors. The main reason being that I found the DXR translate to a FOH PA extremely well but I can also use them as monitor wedges at gigs, for kids school discos, small band pa for rehearsals etc. They have many uses but to be honest if all you want is an FRFR solution for home use then the HS8 or Adam A7x are excellent choices.

Happy 40th Birthday for next month !

Another vote for monitors - Get the best you can afford.

I think they Adam will keep you happy for a long time, the hs8 you might keep coming back to this thread thinking.. what if.

Buy once, cry once.

looks like studio monitors then. I was looking at HS8's but have heard good things about a newer company, Kali Audio LP8's

Back
Top Bottom