Monitors and FRFR cabs

Robb1977

Hi all
I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors and a matrix gt1000fx power amp with a matrix fr212 frfr passive cab. I have downloaded presets from the likes of Leon and bought the naked amps pack from Austin Buddy. Now playing through the HS7 monitors sounds much better than the power amp and can, the cab sounds very bass heavy and almost like a completely different preset.
my question is which sound is correct the monitors or cab one? And is there a way so that I can make the cab sound like the monitors? I’m fairly new to this modelling so forgive me if I’ve missed something obvious.
cheers
Rob

Hi all
I have a pair of Yamaha HS7 monitors and a matrix gt1000fx power amp with a matrix fr212 frfr passive cab. I have downloaded presets from the likes of Leon and bought the naked amps pack from Austin Buddy. Now playing through the HS7 monitors sounds much better than the power amp and can, the cab sounds very bass heavy and almost like a completely different preset.
my question is which sound is correct the monitors or cab one? And is there a way so that I can make the cab sound like the monitors? I’m fairly new to this modelling so forgive me if I’ve missed something obvious.
cheers
Rob

Did you turn Power Amp Modeling and Cabinet Modeling off when using a real power amp and cab? (Setup -> Global Setting)

I'd trust the HS7 monitors. The Matrix power amp and cab might sound better at high volume.

I've never tried an FR212 but I did own a Matrix Q12a and FR10 which were supposed to be FRFR but were VERY different than my studio monitors at CLR.

The monitors are likely to be the most "correct" but if you plan on playing out with the Matrix then tweak the presets for the Matrix. There are plenty of ways of cutting the low end within a preset so I'm sure you'll be able to dial in a decent, balanced tone with the Matrix. You could even have one preset dialled in for the monitors and another for the Matrix.

Ok thanks, so I guess the best way would be to create presets on the HS7 and then using the global eq tweak for the matrix?

The Yam studio monitors have some pronounced upper mids IMO compared to other studio monitors. It's their trademark thing and you can tell easily what happens in the mids. Also their low mids are less prominent and a 7" speaker can not push lows that much. So it's ok that they seems to sound a bit more midrangey.
At the other side you have a 2x12 FRFR, which is a big cab. It might be to big to sound right at home. It needs at least some rehearse room volume to sound right. Big cabs driven with not enough power always sound boomey and midscooped. They change that when they get cranked.
What to trust? Trust the Yams at lower volumes only, trust the Matrix at higher volumes only.
A preset is tweaked right when it sounds good in both situations. Presets that need a certain monitoring to sound right are not good enough.

Reactions: J.C
Hi all
cheers
Rob
Sweet spot for matrix amp is from 1 to 3 o'clock. I have HS8 system, GT1600FX, FR 212 x2. Love it. And yes both Cab & Amp modeling should be on.

Sweet spot for matrix amp is from 1 to 3 o'clock. I have HS8 system, GT1600FX, FR 212 x2. Love it. And yes both Cab & Amp modeling should be on.
I hear (read?) this alot about the matrix amps. But to me, it sounds the same whether I have the matrix volume up with axe fx output lower or with the matrix volume lower and the axe fx volume high. Does anyone know if something actually happens once the matrix is at 1 o clock that changes tone if the volume is matched to the reverse scenario?

Back
Top Bottom