Monitoring Query

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
OK, so I am looking at either investing in some better studio monitors (I have some KRK VXT4's atm). Possibly going with some Adam A7X's. I was wondering wether I should just add the Adams to the KRK's and use some kind of audio splitter/mixer etc or just ditch the KRK's all together? O r does anyone have another suggestion?

The reason being is that when I create my presets on the KRK's they never translate well to my RCF ART 722-A. The RCF always seems bass heavy at lower volumes and even cranking it up only boosts the highs and lows, where as the KRK's have a better mid range and less bass.

I'm sick of having to tweak my presets twice, so any help would be appreciated.

OK, so I am looking at either investing in some better studio monitors (I have some KRK VXT4's atm). Possibly going with some Adam A7X's. I was wondering wether I should just add the Adams to the KRK's and use some kind of audio splitter/mixer etc or just ditch the KRK's all together? O r does anyone have another suggestion?

The reason being is that when I create my presets on the KRK's they never translate well to my RCF ART 722-A. The RCF always seems bass heavy at lower volumes and even cranking it up only boosts the highs and lows, where as the KRK's have a better mid range and less bass.

I'm sick of having to tweak my presets twice, so any help would be appreciated.

Some are claiming the Atomic CLR's are good enough to be reference monitors...might be a thought to use them for monitor and live. Perfect translation.

I Heard- the Adam A77x a few weeks ago in the Studio of a good friend. the only reason I had for Not killing him and take Those monitors home is....that he's really a good friend. :)

the Adams sound fantastic, and the ribbon tweeter is a class in it's own. If I ever upgrade from my Yamaha MSP5, the A7x will be ones...the A77x are way too big for my small studio...

Some are claiming the Atomic CLR's are good enough to be reference monitors...might be a thought to use them for monitor and live. Perfect translation.

This is impossible... You can't compare a middle/high end studio monitor with a FRFRish cab/wedge ... No way ...
2 completely different things ...

For the OP ... Better to take the 2 pairs of monitor ... If you're experienced with the Krk , is good to switch between different monitors to be sure your in the right direction with your tone search...
I mean ... It's always a reference job , compare with world class recordings on the monitors you are used to.

Because of the "neutral" response to the signal of the Axe-Fx is good to listen to some music too...
It's the only way to be sure you're in the right direction to achieve very good balanced sound and well suited in a mix ....

This is impossible... You can't compare a middle/high end studio monitor with a FRFRish cab/wedge ... No way ...
2 completely different things ...

Do some research on the CLR's, Noriuky73. These are not your typical sound reinforcement stage monitors. theblogjammers is correct. The CLR's are well worth considering as a solution for both live and studio monitoring applications. Their biggest downside as a studio monitor from what I understand, is being somewhat large.

Terry.

The other thing to consider is that the CLR's are £1,000 a piece, they're not stereo monitors and not really small enough to put at either side of my iMac. I have approximately 10 inches either side for space and I'd rather not have to fork out for speaker stands and all the other stuff associated with such a large setup. As much as a the CLR's are a viable choice, I suspect that when they're turned up to gig level, they would still be subject to Fletcher Munson. I'm happy to add some Adam's to the KRK's, perhaps my issue is the RCF?

The other thing to consider is that the CLR's are £1,000 a piece, they're not stereo monitors and not really small enough to put at either side of my iMac.

All good points. I figured that size might be a deal breaker. As for cost, the CLR's are more pricy than studio monitors because you're paying for ruggedness and maximum SPL's. However, if space were not an issue and you were starting fresh, a set of CLR's serving a dual purpose could potentially be less expensive than buying BOTH studio monitors and a good wedge for live use. Again, I realize that space IS an issue. :)

As much as a the CLR's are a viable choice, I suspect that when they're turned up to gig level, they would still be subject to Fletcher Munson.

I noticed you made a similar comment in another thread, and I'm not sure I understand your core concern. Fletcher and Munson (FM) identified that your ear-brain system is non-linear, and developed a set of curves that describe how your perception of sound is affected by the volume you listen at. It really has nothing to do with the speaker system you're listening to. A speaker system cannot "compensate" for FM. However, a speaker system that maintains a linear response as you turn it louder gives you the best platform for dialling in your tones at various gig or studio volume levels. That way you're only dealing with Fletcher Munson, as opposed to BOTH Fletcher Munson AND the changing response of a speaker system. Chasing two variables at the same time can be a real pain! :)

I'm happy to add some Adam's to the KRK's, perhaps my issue is the RCF?

Quite possibly.

Terry.

I noticed you made a similar comment in another thread, and I'm not sure I understand your core concern. Fletcher and Munson (FM) identified that your ear-brain system is non-linear, and developed a set of curves that describe how your perception of sound is affected by the volume you listen at. It really has nothing to do with the speaker system you're listening to. A speaker system cannot "compensate" for FM. However, a speaker system that maintains a linear response as you turn it louder gives you the best platform for dialling in your tones at various gig or studio volume levels. That way you're only dealing with Fletcher Munson, as opposed to BOTH Fletcher Munson AND the changing response of a speaker system. Chasing two variables at the same time can be a real pain! :)

Terry.

You're absolutely right Terry. I hadn't considered it. I would love 2 CLR's, but would they be future proof and last me the next 10 years? I'm always reluctant to buy outside of the EU, because of warranty and repairs. Sending a CLR back to Atomic for a repair would cost a small fortune and not justifiable from my perspective.

You're absolutely right Terry. I hadn't considered it. I would love 2 CLR's, but would they be future proof and last me the next 10 years? I'm always reluctant to buy outside of the EU, because of warranty and repairs. Sending a CLR back to Atomic for a repair would cost a small fortune and not justifiable from my perspective.

Very good point!

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom