Monitor suggestions

Ditto for for the Kali LP6s. Cost/benefit is outstanding
I'm inclined to disagree. I don't think they're any worse than anything else, but I really don't think they're better than anything else either.

I have one of their 3-ways (IN-8 maybe) that I bought specifically for a "slightly louder but not stage volume" guitar monitor to set up behind me when I just wanted to play louder in the room at home, and while it sounds okay for that....there are serious flaws in their design....a handful of frequencies that just buzz.

I got it from GC as a floor model for like $200, and I guess it's possible that mine is just damaged...but it doesn't sound like damage. It's too frequency specific. I do not think it's a good speaker. If I were using it for anything critical, I would have sent it back and tried something else. As it is, it's barely capable of what I want but cheap enough that I guess it's okay.

All of the current crop of "cheap" studio monitors seem like they're about the same level....they're all a little different and you may prefer one set of flaws over another. But the idea that one of them is leaps and bounds better (or just better value) than another is slightly ludicrous. You put them in a decent room and they all have serious flaws.

That being said....it costs at least a grand to get substantially better. And they're all usable. But there are no clear winners in that market segment that I've heard.

So, use what you like and/or are used to. Don't cross-grade to the same level of monitors....there's no actual "upgrade" to be had like that, just different flaws. And upgrade the room before you even think about upgrading the speakers. A thousand dollars on bass traps will make more of a difference than a thousand dollars worth of speakers.

For an inexpensive option, you can't really go wrong with the HS7s (no need for the HS8's for guitar tone or a Sub for that matter unless you are mixing). They absolutely are NOT flat but that's why we have EQ. I've also had great sound from Tannoy (back in the day), Adam, and Focal - nothing wrong with any of them. The Genelec 8030C is great for the price as well (actually measures much with a flatter response than any of the others) BUT if price is no object then nothing IMHO beats the Genelec 8361a (a post lottery win purchase).

I'm inclined to disagree. I don't think they're any worse than anything else, but I really don't think they're better than anything else either.

I have one of their 3-ways (IN-8 maybe) that I bought specifically for a "slightly louder but not stage volume" guitar monitor to set up behind me when I just wanted to play louder in the room at home, and while it sounds okay for that....there are serious flaws in their design....a handful of frequencies that just buzz.

I got it from GC as a floor model for like $200, and I guess it's possible that mine is just damaged...but it doesn't sound like damage. It's too frequency specific. I do not think it's a good speaker. If I were using it for anything critical, I would have sent it back and tried something else. As it is, it's barely capable of what I want but cheap enough that I guess it's okay.

All of the current crop of "cheap" studio monitors seem like they're about the same level....they're all a little different and you may prefer one set of flaws over another. But the idea that one of them is leaps and bounds better (or just better value) than another is slightly ludicrous. You put them in a decent room and they all have serious flaws.

That being said....it costs at least a grand to get substantially better. And they're all usable. But there are no clear winners in that market segment that I've heard.

So, use what you like and/or are used to. Don't cross-grade to the same level of monitors....there's no actual "upgrade" to be had like that, just different flaws. And upgrade the room before you even think about upgrading the speakers. A thousand dollars on bass traps will make more of a difference than a thousand dollars worth of speakers.
Well you must of got a bad one cause I don’t hear that at all. But to each his own I suppose since we all have different hearing 😉

To Newt:

What are you primarily going to use a set of monitors for? If it's just for practice and at home playing, get what sounds good to your ears. Take a good quality audio clip to your nearest Geeetar Center or whatever music store(s) you have locally, and listen to all the monitors they have in stock.

If you're going to use the monitors to dial in sounds for use live, you'll want to be more picky about how sounds dialed in translate to other systems. I have several sets of monitors in my studio, and of the bunch, my Mackie HR824's are very trusty for dialing live patches in. I run direct to FOH live, and patches dialed in on the Mackies always seem to translate well across the board with various FOH systems. The Mackie's have a good bit of beef to them too, so you can test patches out at a variety of volumes. It's important to check patches at gig or near gig volumes.

I'll also throw in the Adam T series as a more economical option to the pricier A series. I have a pair of T5Vs and I've been happy with them for what I do.

I just picked up new Focal Alpha 65s and they sound fabulous! I had the previous generation Alpha 65s that a friend bought from me. Always a fan of their stuff! For headphones I have the Neumann NHD20s and I love these as well.

Everyone always recommends the HS8's, so I got a pair a few years ago and they are good, especially for the money. But recently I also added a pair of Focal Shape 65's and have been super impressed. I don't think that I will be switching to the HS8's much besides maybe doing sanity comparisons and for mixing. The focal stuff is a bit pricey, but I am so impressed with the Shape 65's I might actually jump up to their more professional line at some point.

Going to agree pretty strongly here. I used a set of KRK rokit 5 for nearly a decade. I “upgraded” to a set of IK Iloud MTM. While they seem to work better sound wise, a year later I’m having to get my warranty because one speaker decided to stop working. The Rokit I didn’t have any trouble for like 3 years until buzz started seeping in slowly until at like 7-8 years of using them I finally said screw it and started looking for a replacement set.

I guess what I’m saying is things are cheap for a reason, BUT going with the “big” brand might be the best idea. Having problems will be easier to resolve with other people online having them.

If you buy cheap buy what it is proven. Otherwise definitely consider the more serious range of speakers that are more than a grand for a pair.

Going to agree pretty strongly here. I used a set of KRK rokit 5 for nearly a decade. I “upgraded” to a set of IK Iloud MTM. While they seem to work better sound wise, a year later I’m having to get my warranty because one speaker decided to stop working. The Rokit I didn’t have any trouble for like 3 years until buzz started seeping in slowly until at like 7-8 years of using them I finally said screw it and started looking for a replacement set.

I guess what I’m saying is things are cheap for a reason, BUT going with the “big” brand might be the best idea. Having problems will be easier to resolve with other people online having them.

If you buy cheap buy what it is proven. Otherwise definitely consider the more serious range of speakers that are more than a grand for a pair.

My argument is not that they're bad....just that they're all about the same level of "good for the money". They're very basic designs and very cheaply made. They're not really any different from random powered hifi speakers except in the marketing. And they are better than speakers at that price were 30 years ago. But, that applies to almost all of them.

They all sound a little different, and I honestly think the whole "these things punch above their weight" or "they're better than they should be at that price" mostly comes from a speaker happening to line up with a person's preferences for sound and how they happen to interact with the person's room.

If you listen to enough sets in the same room with a proper setup....they're definitely not all the same, but there aren't really any stand-outs.

A lot of people saying they like one or another and not just attributing it to preference ends up with less-experienced people thinking that cross-grading is going to make an improvement, when all it does is make a change. So, people may wind up buying several sets of broadly similar speakers, thinking they're chasing upgrades, when all they're doing is throwing money down the drain. After you do that a few times, you probably could have saved up to make a big jump and actually get substantially better speakers that are more detailed, that actually handle transients well, that play louder without distorting, etc..

You absolutely do not have to buy a $50,000 set of PMCs or ATCs to get good monitoring at home, and diminishing returns kicks in well before you get to that level. The only really interesting things I've seen lately are the Dutch & Dutch and Kii stuff. They're still a lot more expensive, and I haven't had a chance to try them except briefly in a showroom I don't know well....but the ideas seem awesome.

Still...pretending that there's some magical $500 set of speakers that really competes with a $2000 set of speakers is just not true. It's just marketing.

Now....whether any specific person, their room, or their situation actually calls for $2000 speakers (or 10k speakers, or 50k speakers)....that's a completely different discussion. It's more important that you know your speakers than that your speakers are objectively good.

A lot of really great records were mixed on NS-10s. And they started out as really, really terrible hifi bookshelf speakers. They worked because a lot of engineers got used to working on them, because a lot of studios bought them for whatever reason. Their particular flaws lead people to lean towards a very smooth-sounding, mid-scooped mix....because they presented the opposite of that. KRKs tend to be kind of the opposite of NS-10s....if you mix something to sound good on KRKs, on a more "perfect" system, it's likely to sound mid-forward and harsh....or at least to lean in that direction.

Every speaker set has flaws like that. And just about every set can be used....after you learn them. Learning whatever speakers you wind up with is a much better use of anyone's time than chasing cross-grades or arguing about which speaker in a given level is better...none of them are; they're just different.

I upgraded from Adam T7Vs to Hedd Type 07 MK2s a couple of months ago - they're front-ported but with an option to plug the ports, now that I've experienced a closed box monitor setup I couldn't go back.

The bass is tight and dry, still deep but not nearly as boomy as I'm used to with monitors.

The only problem I have with them is the same as the Adams before - hiss. I'm pretty sensitive to it and I can hear it at 1.5m or so in a quiet room. Looking to explore passive+amp monitors or Neumann KH310s next year.

I'm a long-time Genelec owner, but I recently switched to Focal Alpha Evo. Highly recommended.
Other than being cheaper and IMO uglier, what kind of differences are you experiencing and which Genelecs did you have?

No headphones are anything close to flat so if you like how it sounds on headphones just means you like the particular character of said headphones. I've got BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pros, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K-400, AKG K-272 HD and Jabra Elite 85H and all of them sound different on my FM3. The best and flattest is the HD6XX, it requires the least correction out of the box. The DT 990 Pros have too much high end and the worst of the bunch are the Jabras but they are my work meeting headphones so I wasn't expecting much from them in the first place. The K-272s are quite well suited for guitar but are clearly colored in their own way. I've only tried correcting the frequency response of the DT 990 and HD6XX and especially the DT significantly benefits from it and makes it sound closer to the HD6XX.

With studio monitors the room itself comes into the equation and that can heavily influence the sound depending on the placement of the speakers and any anomalies the room itself causes. Even on my Genelec M040 speakers it's best to use room correction or else in my specific room it will have a distinctly hyped ~130 Hz frequency. Likewise the proximity to walls means that low end needs to be trimmed. The dip switches on most monitors can correct things to a degree but are not as granular as you could get with the Axe-Fx parametric or graphic global EQ.

I find that I like the presets I have dialed with my headphones just fine when I run them through my Genelecs and vice versa. I use the FM3 global graphic EQ with AutoEQ's settings for the HD6XX and use the parametric EQ for room correction on the Genelecs based on what I have measured using Sonarworks Reference ID and their reference mic.

I wish that Fractal had presets for the output settings because it would help a lot for this sort of adjustment. I would love even more bands on the parametric EQ too so it could be more granular. Global IR-based output correction would be amazing.
Are your HD6XX the Massdrop version?

Back
Top Bottom