Monitor mixing by the band, some Qs? iPad?

Behringer bought Midas, so it supposed to be a high quality product. I like what I've seen so far but just bought a 01v96i

Yes, I live 15mins from the Behringer factory and one good friend here is one of the Midas engineering guys that was brought in along when they bought Midas/Klark.
According to him (and Im pretty sure he knows what he is talking about) those new products with midas technology is definitely something to look into.

The Behringer p16m is being quoted to me at $211.65 a piece. You would need the P16-I $350 list, to get inserts from the foh board; then a cat 5 cable to up to 8 p16m's.
Roughly 2k for eight 16 channel personal mixers.

I use my iPads for so many different professional audio, video and photo jobs and it has never failed me. Perhaps an app had a bug and eventually was updated, but it is really solid.

Having a physical set of faders for the mackie would kind of defeat the whole purpose. I do understand the trepidation, but mostly every other digital mixer relies on some sort of "computer" anyway. I really want to try the mackie out for myself!

I know the addition of a fader defeats a bit of the purpose, which is why I'm debating getting rid of the mackie. I sing lead vocals, play guitar and mix the band.....when I'm in the middle of a set and all of a sudden the sampler is too loud....I need to dive for a fader, and swiping thru trying to find the correct virtual fader kind of sucks.

If you read the mackie forum you will also read about people losing connectivity between the iPad and the dl1608....even when it's docked. In this cases you're f'd....but if you could connect a fader remote like jimfist mentioned, you could control with that. Anyway....I spend a lot of my time pondering if this mixer is right for me.

On the topic of the presonus, my only complaint is the lack of motorized faders. When I remote the 01v, the faders all just where I need them when I finished the mix. I do like the pre amps better on presonus....if it had motorized faders, I would be all over it.

Looking forward to seeing what new mixers I see at Naam in January!

We went with the Mackie and all four of us on IEM's. Wireless iPad control for us all on the AUX mix and EQ control. It's the only way to fly. Take the monitor mix away from the soundman. Most seem to be DJ's and cannot mix monitors for their life. I bought to ART 8x2 splitters and run the drum snake to one and all our other DI's to the other and vocals. Run into the front of the splitters then, split out the back to the Mackie, then the other split to the FOH snake. There are 6 AUX outs on the Mackie for IEM control or regular monitor mixing, if they are powered. With IEM's, we don't need any amplification in the monitor rack.

We went with the Mackie and all four of us on IEM's. Wireless iPad control for us all on the AUX mix and EQ control. It's the only way to fly. Take the monitor mix away from the soundman. Most seem to be DJ's and cannot mix monitors for their life. I bought to ART 8x2 splitters and run the drum snake to one and all our other DI's to the other and vocals. Run into the front of the splitters then, split out the back to the Mackie, then the other split to the FOH snake. There are 6 AUX outs on the Mackie for IEM control or regular monitor mixing, if they are powered. With IEM's, we don't need any amplification in the monitor rack.

Do you run mono IEMs?

I know the addition of a fader defeats a bit of the purpose, which is why I'm debating getting rid of the mackie. I sing lead vocals, play guitar and mix the band.....when I'm in the middle of a set and all of a sudden the sampler is too loud....I need to dive for a fader, and swiping thru trying to find the correct virtual fader kind of sucks.

If you read the mackie forum you will also read about people losing connectivity between the iPad and the dl1608....even when it's docked. In this cases you're f'd....but if you could connect a fader remote like jimfist mentioned, you could control with that. Anyway....I spend a lot of my time pondering if this mixer is right for me.

On the topic of the presonus, my only complaint is the lack of motorized faders. When I remote the 01v, the faders all just where I need them when I finished the mix. I do like the pre amps better on presonus....if it had motorized faders, I would be all over it.

Looking forward to seeing what new mixers I see at Naam in January!

Hehe, that's why I went with the 01v! But I wish it was a bit smaller... So I'm gonna look at the mackie tomorrow just to check it out in person. Maybe as a monitor mixer

The main reason I bought the Mackie was for rehearsals and live to 2track recording of rehearsals, and then for onstage monitor mixing of split feeds to free the stage mixes from the hands of the FOH. If you have multiple iPads on stage, then the Mackie is a great solution IMO, especially for IEM. A lot rests on the development of Master Fader, though. IMO, for the money, features and footprint, the Mackie is a cool idea. Certainly not ideal for everybody or every scenario, but still a cool little box if you ask me.

Reactions: BBN

How has the Mackie been working for you? Have you had any issues with the iPads losing connection? Any glitches or issues with the Mackie? I wish they would make it so you can group auxes for stereo mixes, that would be a huge improvement. Still might buy one despite that.

Hehe, that's why I went with the 01v! But I wish it was a bit smaller...

You're reading my mind.

I tried building a smaller (more compact) case for my 01V...but it's still heavy (and twice the size) of the case I built for the Mackie.

I think I'm going to try the 3rd party 01V iPad app....not too expensive, and I'm sure it will be a fun toy to play with.

Not sure if anyone has seen or tried the "missing link" The Missing Link : Jabrudian Industries LLC
But I "think" you can connect an iPad to the 01V....no computer needed.
I'm very interested in this....

How has the Mackie been working for you? Have you had any issues with the iPads losing connection? Any glitches or issues with the Mackie? I wish they would make it so you can group auxes for stereo mixes, that would be a huge improvement. Still might buy one despite that.

Haven't had any problems whatsoever. I have an WIFI router on top of the rack and we all get solid signal. If the monitor rack is near me, I usually just put mine in the Mackie, but that's not required. All the settings are stored in the Mackie. If you happen to be using it for FOH, you can store various venue settings and recall them. Yeah, I guess size is a trade-off for stereo groupings. It has the Onyx mic pres in it and are very nice, compared to the big Yamaha mixer we were using.

Haven't had any problems whatsoever. I have an WIFI router on top of the rack and we all get solid signal. If the monitor rack is near me, I usually just put mine in the Mackie, but that's not required. All the settings are stored in the Mackie. If you happen to be using it for FOH, you can store various venue settings and recall them. Yeah, I guess size is a trade-off for stereo groupings. It has the Onyx mic pres in it and are very nice, compared to the big Yamaha mixer we were using.

Thanks for the info!

The Behringer p16m is being quoted to me at $211.65 a piece. You would need the P16-I $350 list, to get inserts from the foh board; then a cat 5 cable to up to 8 p16m's.
Roughly 2k for eight 16 channel personal mixers.
I paid $399 for the P16-I and about $180 each (w/ discount) for the three P16-M's I bought. That's approx. $950 for all 4 units, + $75 shipped for two DB25/TRS connectors from Presonus to P16-I.

Awesome stuff guys! Thanks a lot.
I think if it were just for monitors I'd go with the Mackie. If there were more occasions where we'd provide the FOH the Presonus would rule. But most places we play we just plug into what's there.

I got our keyboardplayer looking into it. He sort of co-owns the PA. And the studio where we rehearse.

Great thread Dutch. We're not gigging enough to invest in this stuff right now, but the drummer and keyboardist bitch so much about their mixes....maybe they'll pony up. :) Technology can be a great thing. We bought PA five years ago, and there was nothing like the stuff discussed here at these price points.

Great thread Dutch. We're not gigging enough to invest in this stuff right now, but the drummer and keyboardist bitch so much about their mixes....maybe they'll pony up. :) Technology can be a great thing. We bought PA five years ago, and there was nothing like the stuff discussed here at these price points.

The one thing that has been great for my band (in regards to monitors) is just bringing our own PA.
If the club has a PA and a sound guy....the obviously we don't bring it. But when the club has a PA that we have to run, I almost always use my Mixer. I'll just tap into their amps (or their board via a 'Return' channel).
This means that I can use the monitor mixes from my board. So once I set the drummer's mix (in my case, my drummer uses ears), his mix is the same every night.
And since both guitars are Axe II's, and the Bass is obviously direct....the mix 'should' never change (the only thing that would change are his drum tones...and if he doesn't like his tom sound...then that's his own damn fault...ha).
Walking into a club with a mix that is already dialed in (call it a 'warm' system), means our sound check only takes seconds. And since I either use the Yamaha 01v96 or the Mackie DL1608...all mixes are saved.

Seems like lots of folks are curious about the Mackie. If you live near Boston (and have an iPad), you're welcome to try mine.

Hey, that sounds like a great deal you got! I would love to know what your opinion of this equipment is.
While b*ringer gets a bad rap for a number of reasons, they have some solid gear and with their acquisition of Midas/Klark-Teknik, I expect their top-of-the-line products (like the X32) to be great performers.

As an addition to their Powerplay product suite, the P16-I and P16-M's really are great value for money. We've been using them for about a month now - that's 9 gigs so far (and another tonight).
We route the drummers click track direct to ch-16 in on the P16-I (it would have been a tom if direct from console). No-one uses it but him AFAIK, and I have ch-16 vol OFF. From the P16-I, I run CAT-5 to first P16-M. From there, we daisy chain the cat-5 to the other 2 P16-M's. This also powers the FIRST unit. All 6 CAT-5 jacks on front of the P16-I will power a P16-M. However, you cannot daisy chain the power, just the audio. We could run 3 sets of cat-5 cables from the P16-I and avoid the wall warts, but they are 12v DC converters (so use little power) and we don't have cat-5 running all over tehplace from the console. This also helps when running FOH out front (versus stage) where I have 200' of CAT-5 on a cord reel, and tape it down with the snake.

Each ch on the P16-m lets you adjust bass, mid's and treble levels. You can save the settings too.
It has an adjustable built-in limiter, master volume and stereo mix volume (like the computer mix on the Avioms). Given that I've been using Avioms for years at church, this P16 system is great value for money and the 3 of us that use them absolutely LOVE the monitor mix control.

The only thing that might be better is that all signals are DRY! No effects, no reverb/delay, as they are direct out from the console. We could probably route differently to get those, but for now.. its working great.

NOTE: the other 1/2 the band still uses wedges!! Stage vol is way too LOUD (IMHO) so I'm working on converting them, but there's a co$t involved and they are "pro" musicians, so they use gig $$ as part of their income. So it's a tough call.

Last edited:
I heard a while ago that behringer bought Midas. I argue that behringer will bring the mighty name of Midas down. Listen and see. Behringer is leading the race to $0. They have garbage gear for dirt cheap. Do you really think that behringer is going to retain Midas quality? Don't take this as me antagonizing anyone in this thread. More so, that I simply hate behringer and what they've done to pro audio gear.

Lets be fair here, Behringer hasn't done anything to pro audio gear. No one has ever confused Behringer with pro audio gear. They make low cost consumer grade gear and I'm pretty sure everyone understands that.

Back
Top Bottom