Monitor for FM3?

Carpercen

Inspired
Hi! I'd like to know what do you guys think would be better. I'm a bedroom player, have no band but I'd like to make one soon or later.

Right now I'm using Adam T7V monitors but I'm thinking if it's a good idea to change them your a headrush frfr 108 or 112

Have no experience at all with headrush so I don't know how good or bad is it... Do you guys think it's worth it? For use at bedroom volume could I make it work ?

Thanks

I have tried practicing through studio monitors myself, but due to that very limited sweet-spot, I no longer use them at-all for practice.

..The Headrush 12” cab is actually really quite nice. It gets loud. Very quickly; but, set at 1, with the eq button set to “off”, you can get a really nice all encompassing sound at lower practice levels that is incredibly close to “amp in the room” - actually, due to the larger sweet-spot, it’s better sounding than a guitar cab IMO.

For the money, I don’t think there is much out there that can beat it. The FRFR12 ..It’s surprisingly good. A Lot better than I thought anything could be at that price-point.

By quick way of comparison: on the smaller side, I also have a Bose S1pro (which costs twice as much), a very-small but capable PA with built in Bluetooth.. I actually bought that as a home practice and small venue PA, but, the Headrush - in my opinion - is better sounding at moderate practice volumes..for half the price.

I have tried practicing through studio monitors myself, but due to that very limited sweet-spot, I no longer use them at-all for practice.

..The Headrush 12” cab is actually really quite nice. It gets loud. Very quickly; but, set at 1, with the eq button set to “off”, you can get a really nice all encompassing sound at lower practice levels that is incredibly close to “amp in the room” - actually, due to the larger sweet-spot, it’s better sounding than a guitar cab IMO.

For the money, I don’t think there is much out there that can beat it. The FRFR12 ..It’s surprisingly good. A Lot better than I thought anything could be at that price-point.

By quick way of comparison: on the smaller side, I also have a Bose S1pro (which costs twice as much), a very-small but capable PA with built in Bluetooth.. I actually bought that as a home practice and small venue PA, but, the Headrush - in my opinion - is better sounding at moderate practice volumes..for half the price.
Thanks for your reply. I like the Adams but I always get really boomy with it, I'm not a tone guru and have a lot to learn about EQ but every amp I tried had this annoying boomynes that I dislike. Most of time I have to lowcut from 250hz.
Yesterday I played through an old Ibanez 10 watt amp and it sounds more focused, no boomynes at least no that noticeable like the Adams. Now I don't know what to expect from headrush and 2000 Watts it's more than I think I'll ever need and maybe I'll only use it at home so... Should I try 108 or 112 version? What are the differences? Do they really sound good at bedroom volume levels? When i set the Adams really low at night i hear a clear difference in sound vs loud (Munson Fletcher?) I that's something that I don't like but have to do so my wife doesn't kick me out haha. How would headrush compare?

Thanks

Not used a Headrush 8 cab, so can’t really advise there... Maybe, see if you can find some locally and try them out? ...From what I have read, people do tend to like them; I just can’t advise you to what I haven’t used. I will say that - at very-low levels where you are worried about waking Your Wife (or neighbors), I would just use a good pair of open-back headphones.

Wattage doesn’t always translate equally to volume. Of more concern would be the peak SPL. Many 1000watt speakers can put out similar volume as a 2000watt speaker, and a 2000watt Speaker can be used at lower volumes, but they are not designed to operate at their peak abilities at those volumes; which was the reason I was so pleasantly surprised at the ability for the 12” Headrush to operate as well as it does at moderate practice levels..

Moderate practice volume for me peaks at around 70db and that 12” Headrush will sound great at that volume... I use a decent pair of open back headphones for quiet practice when the house is less than empty.

You could download a DB meter and turn up the tunes to hit that volume for a comparison.

I’m sure others will chime in to help you out a-little more. Take Care, have a Great Tuesday!

Not used a Headrush 8 cab, so can’t really advise there... Maybe, see if you can find some locally and try them out? ...From what I have read, people do tend to like them; I just can’t advise you to what I haven’t used. I will say that - at very-low levels where you are worried about waking Your Wife (or neighbors), I would just use a good pair of open-back headphones.

Wattage doesn’t always translate equally to volume. Of more concern would be the peak SPL. Many 1000watt speakers can put out similar volume as a 2000watt speaker, and a 2000watt Speaker can be used at lower volumes, but they are not designed to operate at their peak abilities at those volumes; which was the reason I was so pleasantly surprised at the ability for the 12” Headrush to operate as well as it does at moderate practice levels..

Moderate practice volume for me peaks at around 70db and that 12” Headrush will sound great at that volume... I use a decent pair of open back headphones for quiet practice when the house is less than empty.

You could download a DB meter and turn up the tunes to hit that volume for a comparison.

I’m sure others will chime in to help you out a-little more. Take Care, have a Great Tuesday!
You are more than awesome! Thanks for your comments :D

Adam T7V are excellent, just wondering why you need something else, is this to really blast full volume in an otherwise small room? The whole idea with IR cabs is that you really don't need to worry about cabinet sounds.

Depending how you are connected to the Adam or settings you could always tweak the output EQ curves to your liking, for example to get rid of the booming sound. Not that I think it has to do more with your environment, you might have corner related build-up of low-end sounds. There are plenty of web pages describing how to acoustically treat your environment. My quick trick, put something in the corners (poor man's sound traps) such as a book shelf, chair et rest.

Last edited:
Adam T7V are excellent, just wondering why you need something else, is this to really blast full volume in an otherwise small room? The whole idea with IR cabs is that you really don't need to worry about cabinet sounds.
I could sell my Adams for 400 and spend half on a headrush, with the rest am saving up buy a Suhr. I just want to be sure if that's a good move for me.
Not having experience at all with headrush and not being possible to me to try one before buying I want to be sure if it's worth to sell my Adams to get it and save some bucks.

Should I try 108 or 112 version? What are the differences? Do they really sound good at bedroom volume levels? When i set the Adams really low at night i hear a clear difference in sound vs loud (Munson Fletcher?) I that's something that I don't like but have to do so my wife doesn't kick me out haha. How would headrush compare?

Thanks

I have the Headrush 112 and a pair of Headrush 108s - the 108s are surprisingly full at low levels, at least lower than you can get out of the 112. It can be loud enough for a rehearsal setting as well. I have been using the 108s as a pair on stage after a number of shows with just the 112, or a 112 and one 108. Very versatile, great purchase I do not regret in the least.

I have the Headrush 112 and a pair of Headrush 108s - the 108s are surprisingly full at low levels, at least lower than you can get out of the 112. It can be loud enough for a rehearsal setting as well. I have been using the 108s as a pair on stage after a number of shows with just the 112, or a 112 and one 108. Very versatile, great purchase I do not regret in the least.
Thanks! Do you think one will be more than enough for me an occasional player?

Check out the amps and cabs and rigs and routing sub forums. This question is asked daily and the answers don’t change much.

Back
Top Bottom