Monitor DAW output w/o Direct monitoring

I am a simple man and I hope this simple question can be answered simply..

I want to monitor my sound as-is from the DAW without hearing my direct guitar signal on top of it. I feel like I’ve done it before effortlessly, and it’s so simple, but right now it’s totally escaping me and driving me up a wall. I want to use the Axe 3 as a simple audio interface at the moment for reasons.

Please help.

You can use the USB Output swapping setting on the I/O audio page to send computer audio to output 2. That way it will be on a separate output from your guitar.

You can use the USB Output swapping setting on the I/O audio page to send computer audio to output 2. That way it will be on a separate output from your guitar.
Assuming this covers all computer audio? Gonna have to try it.

Set the output mode to Mute in the I/O menu. That stops the direct grid output from going to the Output jacks, but you can still record and monitor via USB.

Assuming this covers all computer audio? Gonna have to try it.
Yes, all computer audio sent to usb channels 1/2 will get redirected to output 2, thus separating the direct guitar and computer audio. That gives him 2 separate outputs that he can mix flexibly. Or, as Mr Fender says, he can simply mute his guitar output. It's not clear exactly what he's trying to do, monitor through his DAW or separate computer audio from his guitar.

supersonic182, if you're trying to monitor through your DAW, see the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide.

Yes, all computer audio sent to usb channels 1/2 will get redirected to output 2, thus separating the direct guitar and computer audio. That gives him 2 separate outputs that he can mix flexibly. Or, as Mr Fender says, he can simply mute his guitar output. It's not clear exactly what he's trying to do.
My goal is to balance audio playback from apple music with my preset signal. Currently I just turn the preset level down, but I would rather raise media playback.

It will be useful for what OP says as well, since the monitor level matches media level.

My goal is to balance audio playback from apple music with my preset signal. Currently I just turn the preset level down, but I would rather raise media playback.

It will be useful for what OP says as well, since the monitor level matches media level.
That's a whole other topic :). See the instructions for configuration #1 in the recording guide.

Maybe I can put it this way… I am screwing around with other amp modelers and effects plugins etc. for fun in my DAW, and want to use my high-quality Axe Fx as the audio interface, and my monitors are connected to Out 1. When I play I am hearing the amp sim in the DAW with my direct signal from the Axe on top.

I think I’ve gotten some good suggestions here that I need to finish reviewing, but that’s the dealio. I had this setup working fine before i just don’t know what I may or may not have changed / done differently.

Maybe I can put it this way… I am screwing around with other amp modelers and effects plugins etc. for fun in my DAW, and want to use my high-quality Axe Fx as the audio interface, and my monitors are connected to Out 1. When I play I am hearing the amp sim in the DAW with my direct signal from the Axe on top.

I think I’ve gotten some good suggestions here that I need to finish reviewing, but that’s the dealio.

In that case, see the "Monitor Through DAW" topic in the recording guide.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

You can also just load up an empty preset. Use USB Input 5 or 6 as the source for your plugin or other amp sim and output to USB Outputs 1 and 2 for stereo monitoring. No grid blocks are needed for DI input or USB monitoring.

You can also just load up an empty preset. Use USB Input 5 or 6 as the source for your plugin or other amp sim and output to USB Outputs 1 and 2 for stereo monitoring. No grid blocks are needed for DI input or USB monitoring.
Thats what I did initially, but I was using input 1 and output 1 like normal. I guess I need to gain a better understanding of how to use usb inputs.

Yes, there are a variety of ways to do this. You can also load a preset that does nothing except send output directly to channels 1/2 (although you'll need to turn down the gain). One thing I miss about the Axe-FX II is you could accomplish this by pressing the front panel bypass button. That button was removed from the III.

Back
Top Bottom