Momentary Solo Boost (Similar to TC Spark Mini feature)

ThrillGrill

Hey everyone! I have a Boss f5-5u non-latching footswitch sitting around that I'd like to set up as a momentary lead boost for mid song runs, not necessarily solos.

Does anyone have a clean way of doing this? I've set it up using a control switch but no matter what parameters I set, there's always a lag or "rise/fall". I just want it to be instant when I step on it similar to a feature that the TC Spark Mini has.

Thanks!

I have configured exactly that. The way I've done it is to setup the external switch controlling the output volume of the cab block. If the external switch is off, the output volume is set to 0dB. If the external switch is on, the output volume is set to 2dB (adjust to taste). The change is instantaneous and it doesn't consume any blocks. You can also make the change different in different presets, I've for instance used the same momentary switch to enable the Raygun in my Rebel Yell preset.

Hey everyone! I've set it up using a control switch but no matter what parameters I set, there's always a lag or "rise/fall". I just want it to be instant when I step on it similar to a feature that the TC Spark Mini has.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have damping turned on somewhere.
I have to agree with @Rex that there's probably a setting causing what you're experiencing. I have a couple of presets that use momentary control switches for the same purpose and haven't experienced any lag or ramp up/down of volume, it's instantaneous. In these presets, the control switches are assigned to 5 or 6 parameters in two different blocks.

Hey everyone! I have a Boss f5-5u non-latching footswitch sitting around that I'd like to set up as a momentary lead boost for mid song runs, not necessarily solos.

Does anyone have a clean way of doing this? I've set it up using a control switch but no matter what parameters I set, there's always a lag or "rise/fall". I just want it to be instant when I step on it similar to a feature that the TC Spark Mini has.

Thanks!
I requested a feature like the Spark over 2 years ago (Kemper also has this feature now):
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latching-momentary-phrase-switching.116389/

But the behavior you're describing sounds like you just want a momentary switch and the delay is caused by Damping being turned on in the Ctrl switch settings. The Spark feature is a latching switch that converts to a momentary switch after being held down for 800ms.

@Johan Allard That is a great idea with the cab output, I will have to try that tonight! Can I ask how you added the raygun? Also, any other fun ways to use a momentary switch in presets?

Thanks all for the feedback, if I have trouble tonight I will post the preset!

@Johan Allard That is a great idea with the cab output, I will have to try that tonight! Can I ask how you added the raygun? Also, any other fun ways to use a momentary switch in presets?

Thanks all for the feedback, if I have trouble tonight I will post the preset!

I’m pretty sure I copied it from this preset by Swedish Chef:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/billy-idol-steve-stevens-rebell-yell.58331/page-4#post-985242

It’s a synth block into a delay. If you search there’s several threads about it.

...any other fun ways to use a momentary switch in presets?
I have a preset for a song that uses galloping dotted eighths, except for two measures of repeated quarter notes during the bridge. I've set up a momentary CS that bypasses the dotted-eighth delay and unbypasses a Ten-Tap delay (Bypass Mode set to Mute In) set for seven repeats in a decaying envelope. I stomp the CS, play the one note that's going to repeat, and then let go of the CS. That returns me to the dotted-eighths delay while the Ten-Tap repeats ring out.

@Rex is there any way you could post a clip of that in action? Sounds really cool!
I'll do you one better. Here's the preset. Footswitch 4 is configured as the momentary CS. You can use an external momentary CS if you want to, but I like having everything on the AX8 itself when I can.

Just stomp the CS, play the note you want to ring out (try a quarter-note slide here), and then release the pedal. Play whatever you want as the echoes ring out.

Attachments

• 7-Tap Momentary CS rx.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 8
I'll do you one better. Here's the preset. Footswitch 4 is configured as the momentary CS. You can use an external momentary CS if you want to, but I like having everything on the AX8 itself when I can.

Just stomp the CS, play the note you want to ring out (try a quarter-note slide here), and then release the pedal. Play whatever you want as the echoes ring out.

@Rex thank you very much, such a clever idea! :)

Back
Top Bottom