Implemented Momentary MIDI CC support for 'Bypass' controls

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
Like many I am configuring a general MIDI controller for the Axe III. One thing I noticed that would really be a huge improvement is that if the 'BYPASS' page had a setting for specifying whether the switch was a 'momentary' or 'latching' switch.

The current implementation for controls on the bypass page only supports a latching MIDI CC. This is a problem because for a general MIDI controller, it has no way to query if the preset has the block you are toggling enabled or not.

So if the preset is loaded and the thing you are toggling (like drive or delay or whatever) is in a different state than the switch you have to switch the controller twice for each thing that is out of sync with the preset's state on the first change.

If your MIDI controller and the AxeFx III supported it, a momentary switch that toggles the bypass is much better because a foot press does what you expect after a program change no matter how the preset is written.

It seems this might be a small change but would make the Bypass function much more effective for folks with generic controllers that support a momentary CC. IMHO

This is typically a thing for the MIDI controller-side of things, I think.

The Bypass page doesn't require latching or momentary. It's just on/off, meaning that you can program the controller to perform as a latching or mom. switch.

Interesting wish item. I overcome the problem with the Gordius Little Giant. You can use its on-board conditional logic at launch of a preset to query the state of a switch and put it (and the switch's LED) in the state you want it. It's one of the things I learned when developing my "looper of doom"

This is typically a thing for the MIDI controller-side of things, I think.

The Bypass page doesn't require latching or momentary. It's just on/off, meaning that you can program the controller to perform as a latching or mom. switch.
That IS THE PROBLEM: the bypass function on the AxeIII does not support a momentary switch/toggle mode, it demands that the switch be latching. So the ask is to support a non-latching toggle which would be superior to its current behavior.

I can change my controller to latch, it is easy to do, but it doesn't work very well because every time I change presets; the blocks that I am trying to control may or may be in the bypassed state. And because there is no way for the controller to 'know' the state of the block on the Axe; the foot switches latched value can easily be out of sync with the preset's starting value.

Example: some of my presets have delay1 on; some don't. With the Axe requiring a latching CC, say I have the delay enabled on the patch and I want to turn it off if the controller is latched to zero already, I have to hit it TWICE to change the delay state.

If the Bypass functionality just had a toggle mode that 'flipped' state whenever it saw an incoming message or supported a momentary switch any controller that could send CCs would work out of the box without any issue because it would just toggle on every footswitch press.

Last edited:
I understand the request. Can't your controller remember the settings for IA switches per preset? With the MFC, Ground Control, FX1 and others, you can program the switches so they correspond to the saved on/off states in your presets on the III.

I understand the request. Can't your controller remember the settings for IA switches per preset? With the MFC, Ground Control, FX1 and others, you can program the switches so they correspond to the saved on/off states in your presets on the III.

The controller has 100s of presets and the Axe has 512... :) I'd just as soon not have to reprogram different states on every footswitch for every PC message it sends... even if I did that it also means the controller has to be edited whenever I edit the state in a preset/scene. I could adopt some kind of personal standard to make it easier but that seems kind of restrictive and it seems worth it to ask for a toggle, since it would always do the 'right' thing you would never get into the 'I pressed the button but my preset is different than my controller state' for whatever reason (be it laziness, or controller inadequacy or failure to remember to edit the controller).

Looking through the search I found a number of folks basically all asking the same thing in different ways. So I don't think it is just my controller's feature set having the issue or my requirements being super far out.

Regardless, thank you for at least considering it. :) Based on my knowledge of other similar programming problems, my gut feel is that it would be a straightforward change to the FW but it is understood that only FAS knows for sure what the ROI and effort is.

The Roland GP-100 had this feature. You'd tell it whether to bypass the block based on the state of the switch, or to toggle the bypass state on every switch closure. Very handy.

The Roland GP-100 had this feature. You'd tell it whether to bypass the block based on the state of the switch, or to toggle the bypass state on every switch closure. Very handy.
Yeah, exactly, thanks for stating it succinctly. :D

Looking at my controller further it does not support mixing of PCs and CCs (it can do multiple but only one or the other) so this would be even more valuable. Thankfully, it can send specific values so scenes and PCs work but I would still like a few toggle switches which I did not have to think about the state of the preset for. ;)

If it were a global setting it would be fairly easy. I.e.: CC Bypass Type: Absolute | Toggle

When type is Absolute the bypass state reflects the value of the CC. When type is Toggle the bypass state toggles whenever the CC is received regardless of the current state and CC value.

If it were a global setting it would be fairly easy. I.e.: CC Bypass Type: Absolute | Toggle

When type is Absolute the bypass state reflects the value of the CC. When type is Toggle the bypass state toggles whenever the CC is received regardless of the current state and CC value.
That would be perfect from my perspective. Thanks for considering it, Cliff.

Wow yes! I wonder how this affects the looper controls, because many times the commands get out of sync when using record, then pressing a different looper command - rec is still “on” requiring a double tap. This is actually a big problem with non-FAS controllers and the looper. I didn’t think about this as a solution.

This could also solve external switch issues of the same type where it’s “on”, you switch presets/Scenes and the switch is on, but the effect is off, requiring the double tap again.
*mindblown*

Wow yes! I wonder how this affects the looper controls, because many times the commands get out of sync when using record, then pressing a different looper command - rec is still “on” requiring a double tap. This is actually a big problem with non-FAS controllers and the looper. I didn’t think about this as a solution.

This could also solve external switch issues of the same type where it’s “on”, you switch presets/Scenes and the switch is on, but the effect is off, requiring the double tap again.
*mindblown*
Yes but status LEDs on the controller would be out of sync

*mindblown*

I'm confused. The looper controls already seem to be "toggle" here. Yeah the LEDs on my foot controller are not in sync, but it's much better than trying to double tap to get to the correct state, which IIRC, I did have to do with the Axe-Fx II.

Back
Top Bottom