Moke's Foreplay/Longtime Preset (Q2.04)

Moke

Axe-Master
Vendor
Here is my preset/cab bundle for Boston's Foreplay/Longtime from this thread....
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bostons-foreplay-longtime-quantum-1-02-tone-test.106886/

After you import into your Axe FX, you will prompted to save the two IR's into your user cabs and pick a preset location when you try to save it.

Edit....Tweaked and updated for Q 2.04 after using it live a few times. lowered the Wha level, overall less gain, less Reverb, and several tweaks to the Delays. Removed all external controllers too.

Edit............http://www.custompresets.com/

Last edited:
I did some research on what Tom Scholz used to achieve this sound. I found some information and a lot of mis-information. So I dialed it in by ear and then did a 'tone match' to get the overall post-EQ close. Then saved that as an IR and put the in the cab block. Next I used a fixed Wha block for the pre-EQ to get closer the the tone and to get more 'grit' in the distortion, but it wasn't enough. So I used a Fuzz drive block which got me closer. I added a few 'Filter' blocks for gain reduction (scene #5), Pre-amp boost, and post-EQ/boost (scene #4).

The acoustic-ish part uses a 'tone match' IR that I made to make my bridge humbucker pickup sound sorta' like my piezo pickup. It sounds ok but when we play it live, we will be using a backing track which will include an acoustic guitar along with the 'clapping' sound in those breaks which will sound much better.

Scene #1....The intro/'Foreplay' section up to around 1:28 into the song and the 'break' at around 6:58.
Scene #2....The acoustic-ish parts.
Scene #3....The main riffs from around 1:28 on.
Scene #4... The solos.
Scene #5....The quiet sliding, echoing part at around 1:58.

Last edited:
Looking forward to giving this a shot. I have not heard a convincing Boston patch yet (and I've tried..Lord I've tried...)
Lol..........let me know how it works for you...

BTW, you can hear it in action in another thread. The link is in the O.P.....^

Last edited:
Hey. I played it. I made mods on it since it was just too shrill for my hyper-treble LP, but once I added some low end to the preset (not your deal, but mods for my guitar), this is as close as we've come yet. Truly excellent work!

Now I'm on a mission to nail the solo to 'Man I'll never Be' (going away my favorite solo from Boston...)

Thanks much!

R

Thanks Moke! I, as well, have made numerous attempts. This will work great!. We end the night with this tune.

Hell yeah! You've made my weekend, Moke!! Thanks for the preset!!!
You're welcome:)
It sounds pretty harsh alone but in the mix it sounds right. Also, pull down the volume on you guitar a bit for the intro and the last break where the distorted guitar plays alone with the claps.

It sounds pretty harsh alone but in the mix it sounds right. ...

Yes. I think one misunderstood part about that tone is that is does NOT sound great by itself. It works like a champ in the mix, but IMO it's nasally and thin all by it's lonesome.

Yes. I think one misunderstood part about that tone is that is does NOT sound great by itself. It works like a champ in the mix, but IMO it's nasally and thin all by it's lonesome.
My wife is a Boston fan, and when I heard Moke's post of More Than A Feeling from his other thread, I dragged my wife in to hear it, we both agreed it sounded spot on with the record so there is a science to understanding how to mix tones. A lot of guitar tones that sound awesome on record, sound thin or weird by themselves. This inevitably drives a lot of discussion in the Tone Match section of the forum :D

I learned a lot about guitar tones listening to isolated guitar tracks. I would think, no that can't be right? Then un-mute the other tracks and boom, It sounds right. That includes the other instruments as well. some of the most iconic classic recordings sound incredibly unremarkable when the tracks are soloed. Every preset that I have shared (this one included) and will share will always disappoint most when played alone. The usual comments are "I had to lower the high end and add some bass to make it sound right". Sometimes this might be true do to different guitar/pickups and such.

I learned a lot about guitar tones listening to isolated guitar tracks. I would think, no that can't be right? Then un-mute the other tracks and boom, It sounds right. That includes the other instruments as well. some of the most iconic classic recordings sound incredibly unremarkable when the tracks are soloed. Every preset that I have shared (this one included) and will share will always disappoint most when played alone. The usual comments are "I had to lower the high end and add some bass to make it sound right". Sometimes this might be true do to different guitar/pickups and such.

This is so true. Guitar, especially lead, need to fit in their proper audio space when played with a band. So many people don't get that. Like you said, a great way to understand this is to listen to isolated tracks.

Thanks Moke. Playing and finally enjoying this patch. Never, ever I had a modeller before that could reach this sound. Thanks to your great work now I am loving more my Axe FX 2.

Thanks Moke. Playing and finally enjoying this patch. Never, ever I had a modeller before that could reach this sound. Thanks to your great work now I am loving more my Axe FX 2.

You are welcome my Brazilian brother.:D Glad you like it.

Moke thanks,
You've taken care of many details, great ! :)
I love Boston ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom