Mojo? No thanks!

GreatGreen

Power User
Amp Mojo

Something interesting occurred to me the other day. A buddy of mine told me about a new music store in town that had some really cool amps I'd always wanted to play, but never had the opportunity to do so. Well, I called and asked when a good time to come to the store might be, letting the guys know I wasn't really planning on buying anything, but have always wanted to try this and that, etc, so hung out with the guys there for a bit while trying a couple of very high-end amps. The guys at the store were nice as they could be, and the amps sounded great! Not better than I've dialed in the Axe, but still, the amps sounded great and I had a great time there that day.

Anyway, I caught myself wondering why I'd liked playing those amps so much even though literally the exact same tones were available to me at my house through in the Axe, and it occurred to me that it wasn't just "the tone" but the entire experience, the chase. Finding the music store, getting to know the people who worked there, seeing the amp well lit in a very expensive, treated studio room, getting to play it after having read up on how great it was for months, etc. All that stuff was great, but it was really totally inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, networking and relationship building aside of course. Then it occurred to me that in the Axe-Fx, all that "extra mojo" of the gear modeled within it is totally removed, which I think is a very good thing.

Think about it for a second. In the Axe, calling up a Fender Champ to play around with is every bit as easy as calling up a Dumble, which is every bit as easy again as calling up a Mark IIC+ or a 70's 100 watt Plexi or a plain old Fender Twin, which you can find in your nearest Guitar Center right now if you wanted. There's no having to drive to obscure music stores, having to sign up on some long waiting list, knowing just the right friend of a friend, or getting caught up in how awesomely purple the tolex is or how badass the diamond plate on the front looks or that the amp costs $7,000 surely it has to be awesome right? or whatever other mythology exists around any piece of gear or any number of other factors that honestly don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, that only really distract you from what the amp you're playing actually is. You're free to A/B as many amps as are in the Axe without so much as getting up from your chair. There's no driving to this or that store or even switching out this or that cable. The tone is right there, and that's it.

With the Axe, you don't have to deal with all the extra stuff. All you have to deal with is tone. All other variables are nullified so they have as little influence on your opinion as possible. What you're left with is simply "what your guitar sounds and feels like" and nothing else. Of course, some folks like getting caught up in the whole experience of playing through a giant stack or a small beat up tweed combo, or whatever latest and greatest thing is, rare as can be and finished in red snakeskin or whatever, and that's cool too. After all it's no happenstance that guitar amps look as diverse as they sound. Still, for me, I much prefer the instant availability of just about every great amp I can think of, along with the ability to bend, twist, mix, and route all of them in just about every way I can think of and then some over the mystique and mojo of this or that wooden and metal box laying around needing to be plugged into and maintained, no matter how ornate the tolex it's covered in may be!

Last edited:
Anyway, the thing that occurred to me is that with the Axe, all the "extra mojo" of the gear modeled in it is removed, which I think is a very good thing.

You are misusing the term "mojo", IMHO. I'd frame these as presentation, coincidental, or psychological factors surrounding the product. It's okay to drop the placebo BS surrounding classic gear but you WANT to keep the mojo, man! LOL.

I've always taken "mojo" to mean a vague "something special you can't quite put your finger on." I've come to realize a lot of what us gearheads like about amps is... everything. The sound, the looks, the presentation, the mythology, all of it. I think this definitely spills over into what a lot of players categorize as the mojo or whatever you want to call it. The funny thing is... I think a lot of the presentation and psychology ingrained in the industry affects how we perceive things to sound on the whole.

Let somebody listen to the same circuit twice and tell them the "2nd circuit" has tubes in it and the majority will tell you the 2nd circuit sounds better. Tell them the company that makes the circuit is just one dude in a cave somewhere who part times as a magical alchemist and only makes three amps a year or whatever and suddenly people will tell you the amps sounds even better! Basically what I'm saying is that a lot of people, including me a lot of the times admittedly, hear with their eyes and let preconceived notions about what a piece of gear is supposed to be shape their impressions about what it is and even how good they think it is.

Ask people what is going to sound better for heavy metal with the real amp heads in front of them, a Carol-Ann Triptik or a Mesa Lone Star, and every one of them, provided they haven't heard the two amps, will tell you the Lone Star is obviously way heavier. As guitar players, and with the industry being as it is, this has no doubt been ingrained into all of us.

I'm saying that the Axe takes the majority of the psychology away and leaves you with nothing but items in a list that produce sound in different ways. Does this list item sound better or does that one? Simple. I think that's a valuable tool when building tones as well. You're free to just try what you want in whatever way you want, with no limiting factors such as price or exclusivity affecting your opinion about what sounds best.

The Mojo is there. Take that real amp and mic it up. Do you hear the Mojo in the AF2, now? [I am using the direct method in my example, since you have mentioned the CAB block]

I have noticed though. If you want the Mojo from the Axe-Fx, you have to treat it as a real amp. Meaning that you have to read up about the certain models [if you don't know them] and use the parameters as they were on the real thing.
Just because there are more knobs there, it doesn't mean you should use them, if you want it to sound like the real thing.

I think he meant the psychological mojo associated with tube amps, not tone mojo which is what all of guitarist chase. :)

I think he meant the psychological mojo associated with tube amps, not tone mojo which is what all of guitarist chase. :)

That was my point in the first response. Mojo has a more typical meaning wrt *tone* and his use of that word in a different sense obscures his point. As you can see by levipeto's response. For most, I think "mojo" wrt tone or amps or rigs or what have you means a certain indescribable "essence". Which IMHO the Axe has. And the OP seems to feel that way too. He just stated it in a round about way.

I have the same feelings towards real drum kits vs mesh heads with triggers & samples! :lol

Yeah, a nice Ludwig has tons of mojo and all that... but for what we do and in the venues we most commonly play, I'd rather have a direct, fantastically captured drum sound without any of the hassle of countless mics & stands etc etc :encouragement:

I have the same feelings towards real drum kits vs mesh heads with triggers & samples! :lol

Yeah, a nice Ludwig has tons of mojo and all that... but for what we do and in the venues we most commonly play, I'd rather have a direct, fantastically captured drum sound without any of the hassle of countless mics & stands etc etc :encouragement:

And stage level control!!! ;)

You recognize mojo when you get that chill up the back of your neck. It's elusive, it's magic it's mojo.

Some gear has mojo, some has lessjo. Fractal has mojo than any gear I know. Not only do I get to play through one great amp, I get to play through a bunch of them. That's why it has mojo. So how much mo does the mojo go if the mojo could chuck wood? Sorry. Probably didn't add a lot to the discussion. Promise not to do this nomo. O.. there I go again.

GreatGreen, I totally get what you're saying.

An amp's "mojo" is all about how it feels and how it sounds, but it's heavily influenced by what you expect, more than most people realize. Tones and amp feel that you know and love are usually tied to tube amps you've seen, touched, smelled and played, and those memories influence what you hear. Sound and sound memory are funny that way.

I still get a twinge of anticipation when I smell dust baking on hot tubes, whether it's a road-beaten guitar amp or a flea-market shortwave rig (all you old-time dial spinners know what I'm talking about). Modern technology offers a better experience in just about every way, but it just ain't as "good" as the old-fashioned way...even though it's better.

I've always taken "mojo" to mean a vague "something special you can't quite put your finger on." I've come to realize a lot of what us gearheads like about amps is... everything. The sound, the looks, the presentation, the mythology, all of it. I think this definitely spills over into what a lot of players categorize as the mojo or whatever you want to call it. The funny thing is... I think a lot of the presentation and psychology ingrained in the industry affects how we perceive things to sound on the whole.

Let somebody listen to the same circuit twice and tell them the "2nd circuit" has tubes in it and the majority will tell you the 2nd circuit sounds better. Tell them the company that makes the circuit is just one dude in a cave somewhere who part times as a magical alchemist and only makes three amps a year or whatever and suddenly people will tell you the amps sounds even better! Basically what I'm saying is that a lot of people, including me a lot of the times admittedly, hear with their eyes and let preconceived notions about what a piece of gear is supposed to be shape their impressions about what it is and even how good they think it is.

Ask people what is going to sound better for heavy metal with the real amp heads in front of them, a Carol-Ann Triptik or a Mesa Lone Star, and every one of them, provided they haven't heard the two amps, will tell you the Lone Star is obviously way heavier. As guitar players, and with the industry being as it is, this has no doubt been ingrained into all of us.

I'm saying that the Axe takes the majority of the psychology away and leaves you with nothing but items in a list that produce sound in different ways. Does this list item sound better or does that one? Simple. I think that's a valuable tool when building tones as well. You're free to just try what you want in whatever way you want, with no limiting factors such as price or exclusivity affecting your opinion about what sounds best.

Apologies for being late to the party...

Never has the phrase 'perception becomes reality' ever been so true than it is in the guitar players mindset. Problem is with the internet, perception becomes distorted because the door opens to the street. Many completely untrue things become fact. A product of conditioning from marketing and not actually doing any kind of reality check on people who post reviews on forums to actually see if they can play very well or are just good at writing prose.

I do enjoy breaking those perceptions......

Alan Phillips.

Back
Top Bottom