Modular Pedalboard for AX8

My purpose for this switch is to switch from guitar cable to Wireless unit, when the need arises. I need to mount some kind of bag under the board that I can keep my guitar cable in. In a rush you don't want to be looking for a cable in your guitar bag, which is behind the stage somewhere.

Because I have had batteries die on my wireless during gigs...what I do as part of my ritual when setting up is put my guitar cable velcro'd in a loop around my guitar stand. When my wireless goes I hit the tuner, grab the cord and plug in...I am up in running in seconds. I am a little anal though when I set up...same routine every gig...rinse and repeat....

Because I have had batteries die on my wireless during gigs...what I do as part of my ritual when setting up is put my guitar cable velcro'd in a loop around my guitar stand. When my wireless goes I hit the tuner, grab the cord and plug in...I am up in running in seconds. I am a little anal though when I set up...same routine every gig...rinse and repeat....
That's great. Yeah I'll have to lift the pedalboard to switch the a/b switch, but with a 16hr battery with two extra batteries, it shouldn't happen very often.

I do this too when I use the wireless, except I just lay the cable ready to go right next to the pedal board. I haven't used my wireless or pedal board since I got my FX8, and I'm not sure I will with when I get the AX8. A shame since I have an awesome Blackbird 30x15 with the rolling hard case. It's just so easy to throw the Fractal in a gig bag. Since most of my playing is at church now, I have no use for a wah, so no need for and expression, and I always do volume swells with my guitar volume.

Ha, the Altoids or the screen protector?...Were such nerds.

I never actually did the Altoids thing, but I finished this mini tin of mints about the time I read this thread and it just hit me. Lol.

That's actually the original screen thing. It'll come off at some point.

Hey Scott,

I have been looking forward to seing how you would do this, and then you post just as I am away from my computer for a few days :D

It looks very good - How cumbersome are this pins to take in and out? I was thinking in different directions, such as going with a clamping mechanism or something like that.

For me, the modular idea is great - at home, my 'music room' is not big, so there is not much room, if I want to hook up the full board. But I could easily have a few cables lying ready under my desk for an easy hook-up.

I have been running with the GLX16-D for a while now, and I can vouch for the battery life. On the current charge, I have done one soundcheck, one 2 hour gig and one 4 hour rehearsal, and the battery indicator has not even started to move yet.

Hey Scott,

I have been looking forward to seing how you would do this, and then you post just as I am away from my computer for a few days :D

It looks very good - How cumbersome are this pins to take in and out? I was thinking in different directions, such as going with a clamping mechanism or something like that.

For me, the modular idea is great - at home, my 'music room' is not big, so there is not much room, if I want to hook up the full board. But I could easily have a few cables lying ready under my desk for an easy hook-up.

I have been running with the GLX16-D for a while now, and I can vouch for the battery life. On the current charge, I have done one soundcheck, one 2 hour gig and one 4 hour rehearsal, and the battery indicator has not even started to move yet.
The clevis pins have worked out pretty well actually. sometimes the Jerry rig approach works great. You know when I was looking for some type of device that would work a little nicer, I literally looked at every Quick release fastener website I could find. I thought of even putting in a steel sleeve, so it would be stronger, but at the end of the day, when you are at a home depot cutting wood, you just kind of invent while you're there. Here are the Clevis pins, oh here is the Dual lock Velcro. I Love trying to figure stuff out, I think that's ingrained in all of us as guitar players. You have to figure out a lick or modify a guitar or pedalboard, to make it do what you want. It really sucked when radio shack became a joke of what it used to be in the '70's. You used to be able to find all kinds of parts to build little doohickies.

I love watching Bitchin rides, OCC choppers etc-, because I love seeing the vision of the maker. He know's what it's going to be, before it's made. I know most of us guitar players do the same. Envision the song we create in our head and get it out to the world. That is pure creativity.

Cliff does the same thing of course, knowing in his head what he wants to do before he tackles it. The cool thing about having a fearless leader like Cliff, is that he shares his journey with us. We see the progress made with every firmware release. It's amazing that I own a couple devices that sound exactly the same utilizing different processors with slightly same Algorithms.

Cliff is the smarter version of a lot of us. Taking it from his kitchen table to the world.

Peace

I just watched some movie hosted by Kevin bacon on Qello about guitars. Inspiring, you need to check it out.

Good job, Scott! I can tell you are a true rock & roller... duct tape at the ready!
Better yet, that's stage tape. It's Black, it comes off easily and you can cover everything, that looks ugly. I had to buy a new roll just the other day. I love Amazon, you can get anything from that place. Plus if you have prime, you get two day free shipping.

Better yet, that's stage tape. It's Black, it comes off easily and you can cover everything, that looks ugly. I had to buy a new roll just the other day. I love Amazon, you can get anything from that place. Plus if you have prime, you get two day free shipping.
I finally got the Prime too... wife likes the movies and such, I love the shipping. I am due for more tape too. That stuff is not cheap!

Funny story about gaff tape.

I was FOH engineer for a jazz/dance tour in China. At one of the theaters, a local stage hand was being "helpful" and taping cables down with what appeared to be black duct tape. The music director went over to him and in the best non-Mandarin-speaking way as possible, showed him a roll of gaff tape. Then pointed at the duct tape and shook his head.

The Chinese worker then replies excitedly, "ooooooh, professional!!"

@scottburrow - how did you secure the clevis bolts to the AX8 board? Or are they just loose and you slide threm through and they are only secured by the pin? I'm thinking of doing this with my MFC setup to grab for rehearsals. Only I'm thinking of permanently mounting the clevis bolts up through the bottom of the pedalboard and then setting the MFC or AX8 board on top of the bolts and then have the Clevis pins on the top of the board.

@scottburrow - how did you secure the clevis bolts to the AX8 board? Or are they just loose and you slide threm through and they are only secured by the pin? I'm thinking of doing this with my MFC setup to grab for rehearsals. Only I'm thinking of permanently mounting the clevis bolts up through the bottom of the pedalboard and then setting the MFC or AX8 board on top of the bolts and then have the Clevis pins on the top of the board.
They are loose. Once I get the small board off the big board I just pull out the Clevis bolts. I'll leave the two Clevis bolts in the back so it's angled. I'll buy another set of Clevis bolts in case I loose one. the Clevis bolts were 3/8.

Going from the bottom is a great idea actually. Hmm, you got me thinking.

Back
Top Bottom