Modular Pedalboard for AX8

scottburrow

Fractal Fanatic
So after hanging out with Larry Mitchell last weekend, we were comparing and contrasting his AX8 with Mine. His is nice and small and portable and mine is NOT!

So Larry says, if you get a smaller board that you attach your AX8 to, then you can pull it off when needed. So here it is 6 days later my version of what he said. Now I don't do things perfectly, I just don't I realized when I attached the AX8 to the board its not straight. Does it bug me, not really. I did cut two pieces of wood, so I will make version two. I cut the board 16 1/8 x 12. I used Clevis bolts that have multiple holes, so it didn't have to be perfect with the size. The cool thing is I can leave the Clevis pins on the back only, and put the pin in and have a slanted small board.

Thanks Larry for the suggestion, I ran with it. I will get a Mono Club bag with an extra expression pedal. I might have to rethink that and get a bigger bag.
here's the link
http://monocreators.com/pedalboard-club/

Modular, is the way to go...

Here are the photos of my project.

Larry Signed the bottom for me. I need to lacquer over it.

DSC_6184.jpg DSC_6185.jpg DSC_6186.jpg DSC_6177.jpg DSC_6178.jpg DSC_6179.jpg DSC_6180.jpg DSC_6181.jpg

Looks good man. Go through some of the older threads about cases. There were some cool ideas like using camera bags or the dbl deck case someone was using. Would be great for your idea

for anyone interested in the Box under my board, it's a A/B box two ins one out, with individual volume for each input. I always leave the volume on both off, even though in the picture one is up. I need to tape them down so they don't move.

My purpose for this switch is to switch from guitar cable to Wireless unit, when the need arises. I need to mount some kind of bag under the board that I can keep my guitar cable in. In a rush you don't want to be looking for a cable in your guitar bag, which is behind the stage somewhere.

Amazon product ASIN B00YA4YJ72

Last edited:
I realized when I attached the AX8 to the board its not straight. Does it bug me, not really.

I don't believe you. ;-)

--

I may have to adapt this concept to a PT Pro. I won't have any extra height available so I'm contemplating ideas on how to quickly add/remove the rubber feet.

I'm thinking a slightly longer foot screw with bolt threading on the floor end. Then I could use 4 nuts to either secure the AX8 to the board or pull it off and secure the rubber feet back in place. That would be a little less hairy than trying to pry off industrial strength Velcro, or having to pull out a screwdriver.

I also briefly considered just using the AX8 naked with a sidecar PT Jr or 2. But then I'd have to find a hard case for just the AX8 and I'd have two hard cases to lug around.

Since I'm using my ax 8 right on the floor, I'm not getting why the ax8 needs to be fastened to the board if you're going to be transporting it seperate from the rest of the board (modular). Am I missing something?

Since I'm using my ax 8 right on the floor, I'm not getting why the ax8 needs to be fastened to the board if you're going to be transporting it seperate from the rest of the board (modular). Am I missing something?
He will not always transport it separately. The idea is he uses the big board but at times when he feels like going small he has the option.

He will not always transport it separately. The idea is he uses the big board but at times when he feels like going small he has the option.

I think what he's getting at is... why bother with the board if you aren't taking an expression pedal or expression and Wireless also. Some thin rubber pads in the corners that don't interfere with the Velcro but yet keep the AX8 from scooting around should suffice.

I get it if you are tossing a few more things on the sub board... but AX8 only.... I don't get the point either.

The idea is that I leave the bulk of the board at church in their secured area. I take home the AX8, so I can program my songs that marry it back up, when it's time to play.

It's just options. I really felt like I had to bring the whole thing all the time. If I want to sit in somewhere I'll just bring the AX8 my guitar cable and an expression pedal. I have a bunch of those floating around the house.

The idea is that I leave the bulk of the board at church in their secured area. I take home the AX8, so I can program my songs that marry it back up, when it's time to play.

It's just options. I really felt like I had to bring the whole thing all the time. If I want to sit in somewhere I'll just bring the AX8 my guitar cable and an expression pedal. I have a bunch of those floating around the house.
Scott I thought I read your original plan was to leave the ii at church and use the axe out for travel and one off stuff.

If I'm playing a bar with my band, nothing will change. if I sit in somewhere for a few songs, I got that covered as well. It would be kind of rude to bring my whole floor board and take up all that that space for a few songs.

Keeping the Beer off the AX8 is imperative.
IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4235.JPG IMG_4236.JPG IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG

Last edited:
Scott I thought I read your original plan was to leave the ii at church and use the axe out for travel and one off stuff.

It was, then the AX8 started taking over my life. The biggest thing is the foot switches. I can make each footswitch do whatever I need it to do per preset. I can't do that with the MFC 101 as easily. Maybe also its the newness of the device is pulling me. I could leave the AXE-FX at church, but I'm adding another church to the mix, so...

So after hanging out with Larry Mitchell last weekend, we were comparing and contrasting his AX8 with Mine. His is nice and small and portable and mine is NOT!

So Larry says, if you get a smaller board that you attach your AX8 to, then you can pull it off when needed. So here it is 6 days later my version of what he said. Now I don't do things perfectly, I just don't I realized when I attached the AX8 to the board its not straight. Does it bug me, not really. I did cut two pieces of wood, so I will make version two. I cut the board 16 1/8 x 12. I used Clevis bolts that have multiple holes, so it didn't have to be perfect with the size. The cool thing is I can leave the Clevis pins on the back only, and put the pin in and have a slanted small board.

Thanks Larry for the suggestion, I ran with it. I will get a Mono Club bag with an extra expression pedal. I might have to rethink that and get a bigger bag.
here's the link
http://monocreators.com/pedalboard-club/

Modular, is the way to go...

Here are the photos of my project.

Larry Signed the bottom for me. I need to lacquer over it.

View attachment 30033 View attachment 30034 View attachment 30035 View attachment 30036 View attachment 30037 View attachment 30038 View attachment 30039 View attachment 30040
Looking good Scott!

It was, then the AX8 started taking over my life. The biggest thing is the foot switches. I can make each footswitch do whatever I need it to do per preset. I can't do that with the MFC 101 as easily. Maybe also its the newness of the device is pulling me. I could leave the AXE-FX at church, but I'm adding another church to the mix, so...
lol Axe at one church and Ax for going to others or dare a say Axe at on church an Ax at another church and an Ax at home to to travel and one off stuff?

Back
Top Bottom