Modifying Patches for Live Venue

Tonemaster

Inspired
I've got patches that sound great at home using FRFR (Mackie). However, I will be checking these out on Saturday through our system at church and wonder if there are any pearls of wisdom from folks who may have already done this. I'm thinking of using the GEQ on the output to tweak for things like the room, higher volume, etc... I know at home when I crank it up, the timbe changes and I expect I'll have to adapt for a live application. Should I just adjust at home with the speaker cranked before I even take it outside? Do you find that separate patch settings/versions are needed for live vs home? Any advice from your experience will be much appreciated!

The general issue with building patches at low volume then using them at high volume is the Fletcher Munson effect http://emusician.com/tutorials/square-one-can-you-hear-me-now/. Basically you're are going to hear more high and low end content as it gets louder. The best solution is to try to dial in the patches as close to gig volume level as possible, but if you can't do that I think when you get to the gig you should use the global EQ to adjust for this issue. Most likely the problem will be with all your patches and you don't want to be adjusting EQ blocks for multiple patches once you're there. Use the global EQ and you only have to do it once in one place.

Yeah, it would be cool to try your patches a bit louder at home,
just to see if there are some frequencies in there that you don't want them.
Personally, I don't mess with global EQ at all, all I do (sometimes) is slightly adjust EQ
on mixer channels where AxeFx is connected at,
each venue (and PA ofc) has its own sound in a way
so I don't try to get the SAME sound everywhere I play,
feels more natural to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom